Probably a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere...

GT711

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been think of doing this but can't find out if it will work.

I have a fairly average computer which I currently use for FSX. On the hard drive I (obviously) have all the FSX files and planes etc along with track IR, REX, Photoshop, AutoCAD, Revit, ProE, blah blah blah... I don't fancy loading all this onto a new hard drive, not to mention trying to gather the CD's.

My question is, is the operating system on the hard drive as well?? i.e. if I was to build a computer (processor, motherboard, RAM, graphics card etc.) could I just plug in my current hard drive and use everything as I do currently, without 'installing' anything??

Thanks in advance! Glenn :)

My question is, is the operating system on the hard drive as well?? i.e. if I was to build a computer (processor, motherboard, RAM, graphics card etc.) could I just plug in my current hard drive and use everything as I do currently, without 'installing' anything??

Thanks in advance! Glenn :)

Yes, the OS will be on the same hard drive if there is only one installed.

Possible to just plug in the hard drive and go? Yes, it is. Do you want to do it? Not unless you are very familiar with computers and messing around the Device Manager and maybe registry. It would still involve installing drivers though for the new hardware as Windows does need them to know how to properly the new GPU, CPU motherboard etc.

As much work as it is, it would be better to just reinstall the OS. Depending on the add-ons you have installed (ie. all freeware that was manually installed), you may be able to just copy over the FSX directly and run the Flight1 registry repair tool. However, as with the OS, things can go wrong and end up taking more time than just reinstalling from scratch. Besides, a reinstall is a good time to do some spring cleaning.

If you build a computer with the same motherboard manufacture you could use sysprep. It's a process. Google on how to use sysprep and learn. If you wanted to just reinstall the operating system on another computer you will need to reinstall your programs and back up your data on the old hard drive to another hard drive or USB stick that is big enough to hold all the data. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Archived