How do TacPack/vACMI work?

evm

Hi @ll,

I'd like to know how TackPack and/or vACMI hook into the simulator.

Is it a separate .exe like EZCA or UT2 called via EXE.XML?

Is it a DLL getting called via DLL.XML?

Is it a module like FSUIPC?

Or something else entirely?

All these are part of the one question: Can I run FSX completely without TacPack once it is installed, and does it install without ill consequences to my sim?

Last post here suggests you can set tacpack to asking if it should run, each time you start fsx.

There is also a exe.xml in one of the first posts that may help. (not sure, can't read it on phone).

Not sure if this helps at all, I'm feeling a bit fuzzy, jack of sleep.

What I did was google 'tacpack files installed'.

Have a good one.

http://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3883

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi il88pp,

thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that thread was about the Milviz stuff not working together with TacPack, the interesting part (for me) was left out. I suspect TacPack is called as a DLL, but I don't really know. But I do know that some members here have quite the experience with TacPack, that's why I opened this thread. I wouldn't want an addon to bury itself deep in the sim, I have tweaked it too much to take that risk.

Best

nuit

TacPack is a dll, called from the dll.xml. It comes with a configurations program to allow you to make various changes to TacPack, including whether it loads by default, asks each time FSX / P3d starts, or does not load at all.

99.9% of the time, you can leave it enabled as it usually won't have any effect on other add-ons. So far, I've only come across one add-on that needs TacPack to be disabled.

Archived