X-Plane 10 Scenery--Forth River Crossings UK 1.2.2. The Forth Bridge is a cantilever railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland, 9 miles west of central Edinburgh. It was opened on 4 March 1890 and spans a total length of 8296 feet (2528.7 m). It is sometimes referred to as the Forth Rail Bridge to distinguish it from the Forth Road Bridge, though this has never been an official title. The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge in east central Scotland. The bridge, opened in 1964, spans the Firth of Forth, connecting the capital city Edinburgh, at South Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. By John Dickinson.