About This File
FS98 Avro Roe-III Triplane, 1910. The successor to the Roe-II Triplane was built by Alliot Verdon Roe, the founder of Avro. As its predecessor, this model was powered by the more powerful 4-cylinder 35 hp Green engine, and flew in Brooklands in 1910 at a speed of 35 knots, and had the sturdier airframe, but pitch control only involved pivoting the entire tailplane, the mainplane incidence remaining fixed. Lateral control was improved by moving the ailerons from the top wing down to the mid-wing ailerons, and the tall, large rudder was also retained. The landing gear was further strengthened, now fitted in Farman style with four wheels instead of two. 4 units were built. By Stephan Scholz.