X-Plane 9.70+ Handley Page HP.50 Heyford v1. The Handley Page Heyford was a twin-engine British biplane bomber of the 1930s. Although it had a short service life, it equipped several squadrons of the RAF as one of the most important British bombers of the mid-1930s, and was the last biplane heavy bomber to serve with the RAF. The aircraft was named for and first deployed at RAF Upper Heyford, near Bicester in Oxfordshire. The prototype, the Handley Page HP.38, was designed by Handley Pages lead designer G. R. Volkert and first flew on 12 June 1930 at Handley Pages factory at Radlett. The HP.38 proved successful during service trials at Martlesham Heath and with No. 10 Squadron RAF and was chosen as the winner of the B19/27 competition, being ordered as the HP50 Heyford. Credit goes to Bernard Augras for use of his pilot. By Philippe Gastebois.