Carenado Proline Radar - not functioning

Ralie25

Hi all,

The radar in the Carenado Proline isn't functioning on the King Air 350i that I have recently purchased. I searched the internet, found this article - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/493223-wx-radar/ - I located the dll.xml and found that my one was missing the "manual load" part. I could be missing something, and you have to add that part, but it doesn't quite seem right. The only part linking to activation that I can see is the disabled-false-disabled entry. Anyway, let me know what the next move is.

Thanks,

Ralie25

I remember that thread on Avsim, IIRC there was a problem when P3D v3 was first released where the sim wouldn't start without True. All that does is pop up a prompt after the sim gets running asking you if you want to load CMeteoXml.dll or not. If it was allowed to start automatically it would crash the sim, if the sim was allowed to load first followed by CMeteoXml.dll everything was OK. I think it was a Carenado problem rather than a P3D problem where their prior P3D v2 version of CMeteoXml.dll was crashing P3D v3 if not loaded in this manner.

Apparently it's no longer a problem in P3D v4, I don't have True in my dll.xml for CMeteoXml.dll and I just tested with the CJ2 at KCRG (nasty weather there right now 4/14/2020 16:00Z). It seems to work on the PFD but it apparently must be in ARC mode (the FORMAT button). Also (sitting on the ground at KCRG) I had to crank "tilt" up to +15.

I'm using Wx from AS4 BTW, I'm not sure it works with the default Wx themes.

C25A_Wx.jpg

EDIT: Here's my dll.xml entry

CMeteoXml
False
False
CMeteoXml.dll

Edited by Jim Robinson

Thanks Jim, very helpful. Interesting to see your dll.xml entry... Clearly the manual load is irrelevant to the fact that yours is working, due to the manual load 'false' entry?? Interesting what you say about it having to be in arc mode. I will try that in the next day or so for sure. I'm not so much concerned about having a WX radar but more for terrain. Does your terrain radar work as it should?? And thanks for clarifying re that post I mentioned... I nearly added in what I thought it instructed me to do! Hopefully you are right and that my radar will work in arc mode. Will post back in a day or so!

Thanks again

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your help! I very nearly made the mistake of adjusting my dll.xml file (correct me if wrong there) so very glad that I didn't! You are entirely correct, you have to have the screens in 'arc' mode for the radar to work. Very happy to confirm that my radar on the 350i works as it should. I see that you are using the CJ2 there, I have this aircraft also, so will test it out next time I use it.

Thanks again for your help!

Kind regards

No problem Ralie25! If you would have modified the dll.xml it wouldn't have hurt anything, you'd just get a prompt to run CMeteoXml.dll each time you start the sim. True just gives you a choice is all.

I also have the C90 GTX and was flying it in v3 when the 350i was released but TBH I couldn't see enough difference between it and the GTX to warrant the $40 purchase? Curious to know if you own both and what your thoughts are? Is it faster? Does it fly higher? Anything better about it from a simmer's perspective? TBH even the differences between the CJ2 and the Premiere 1 didn't warrant the purchase of the latter but I did it anyway. :p

The problem for me is I'm used to bizjet speeds now and going back to turboprops and GA is like running the sim at .5x speed, lol. I just downloaded the x64 version of the GTX though so I'll put it back into v4 today and try a couple flights over the next few days.

Ah ok then, well for sure it would've been good to avoid the thing, so pleased I didn't play around with that file. But anyway, doesn't matter now!

Yes the C90 GTX...I have considered purchasing it, but like you, I see no reason to as I have the 350i. Interesting you ask is it faster...one of the reasons I considered the C90 was because I thought that it would have better performance than the 350i - being the smaller aircraft (and the fact that it just looks like a rocket). Have just had a look at the C90 GTX again and compared to the 350i I'd say that it's more of a competitor to the likes of the Meridian and TBM. The 350i is basically a turboprop business jet really. Personally I prefer the bigger size of the 350i compared to the C90, but I guess they both have pro's and con's. The CJ2 is nice also! I like it as it is a more of a 'classic' jet compared to the Premier 1A. In regards to the speed of the jets versus the slow GA plane, I personally like to mix it between the two. Rather than going 1000 miles in a biz jet, I might choose to do 250 miles in a GA piston. It's good to keep a mix IMHO because just flying biz jets can get a bit simple compared to the classic way you have to approach flying - say- a C207 Skywagon.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the C90 in V4 perhaps and maybe what you don't like. Send through some performance figures and I'll have a look at the 350i next time I fly it and see if it's any better. From memory I get about 215 Kts out of the 350i in cruise at about 80% torque. It's ceiling is 35000 ft I believe but I've never been higher than around 24000. Overall though from the pics I've seen of the C90, it looks pretty much the same as the 350i. For me, this means the 350i is the better choice because what you can do in a C90 can be done in a TBM...the 350i can take that many more passengers, it doesn't become 'redundant' as such. If I had got the C90, it probably wouldn't have been used much because as I say, I'd just use the TBM.

Anyway, thanks again for your help with the radar and do let me know if you want to discuss the 350i in more detail!

Kind regards