Golden Wings and Silver Wings

elmerfudd

To give an example of the rename benefits, I could easily set up a Golden Wings world and if I wanted to at some point fly my modern planes into classic airports or vice versa, fly classic aircraft into modern airports, this would be far easier to set up than doing it with multiple installs.

Under any of these circumstances, any external other add-ons will work for all of this without issue as well. You have literally no restrictions.

Mark Daniels

To give an example of the rename benefits, I could easily set up a Golden Wings world and if I wanted to at some point fly my modern planes into classic airports or vice versa, fly classic aircraft into modern airports, this would be far easier to set up than doing it with multiple installs.

Under any of these circumstances, any external other add-ons will work for all of this without issue as well. You have literally no restrictions.

Agree and Agree!

Too late now though as I've already done it. :/

Lol.

Agree and Agree!

Too late now though as I've already done it. :/

Lol.

I should've mentioned, renaming may not be for everyone. You have to understand the FS files and what you are doing. For many, multiple installs would be the better and simpler option so they don't screw up their FS9 installation if they make mistakes.

Either way, both methods are options and ways to make FS9 what you want it to be. It's a heck of a flexible sim with many options.

Mark Daniels

The reason for using the same FS9 installation for two different periods is that I get better graphic issues, than by running GW separately.

Bernard

Hmm interesting. I haven't seen any issues other then the new install - not being bloated with junk, runs much better as far as loading etc.

Much the same FPS though. 30 locked.

I forgot to mention in my OP that I did the install on a test box, that had a clean install that I didn't care about mangling. I installed the Golden Wings over the clean install.

One thing I did forget, was to run the fs9.1 update, so my fsGW3 does not have it. If I recall correctly, the 9.1 update was to fix some bridges. After flying to New York City and San Francisco, I haven't noted any problems with the bridges, or anything else, so I suppose the Golden Wings took care of most of that.

The 4gb patch has been mentioned in this thread, but I don't know what that is. Could someone clue me in as to where to find it?

Elmer J. Fudd

Calling Robin! (not batman at this stage).

How do we add the 4GB patch to another install if its now named something different?

"Help me Robin!, help help me Robin! Help me Robin yeah, get the old exe out of my heart".

Coooorrrrnyy!

I don't think Robin runs it.

You just run the instaler again as I mentioned earlier. I just tried it, will work if you have a million FS9 installations.

Keep in mind if you are using your original FS9.exe from an install that had the 4gb patch installed, the 4gb patch will still be installed in your new FS9 install. No need to apply the 4gb patch again, it's still there.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

I don't think Robin runs it.

You just run the instaler again as I mentioned earlier. I just tried it, will work if you have a million FS9 installations.

Keep in mind if you are using your original FS9.exe from an install that had the 4gb patch installed, the 4gb patch will still be installed in your new FS9 install. No need to apply the 4gb patch again, it's still there.

Hey thanks Mark.I cant remember how I did the old patch though. Do I put the file in the main FS9(new) folder? I execute it. Then what? Does it make a new exe that you now use? I'd have to rename it as my new exe I guess.

I forgot all this stuff.

EDIT : ok, think I figured it out. See what happens with it.

Edited by JSMR