Can you use non-AI aircraft as AI aircraft?

I thought I knew the answer to this was yes but I just tried it and it caused my FSX to fail to load twice (both times it got to "Loading scenery - 100% complete" paused for a few seconds, then crashed).

I undid the changes I'd made and now it's back to normal.

Specifically, I wanted to replace A340s in the WOAI Virgin Atlantic package with A330s so, because I couldn't find an AI Virgin A330, I decided to use Thomas Ruth's A333 (toma333b-1) with added VA textures (virgin_toma330-343x) but it didn't work as I described above.

The plane works fine when I select it to fly in.

So do some non-AI a/c not work as AI?

Or can anyone think of some gotcha I've overlooked here?

Thanks.

NK

Agreed, user aircraft (especially payware) are way more detailed and sophisticated. Graphically use higher textures where as AI typically use mip-mapped textures to be even less detailed at distance.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Flyable aircraft show just fine as ai. "error loading scenery" probably means the .bgl file you made is faulty. (technically all .bgl files are a form of scenery.).

If there was a problem with the plane you'd get: "error- unable to display flight model" instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can find Virgin Atalantic textures for the "The Fruit stand A330-300" over at Avsim on this page, scroll down and you will find them.

It's not a good idea to use non ai aircraft as ai as they would take up alot of resources.

Thanks for the replies and, yes, I understand it's not a good idea to use non-ai a/c as ai if it can be avoided.

That link above (thanks, btw) was to *FS9* textures - will they work in FSX?

Can I generally assume that FS9 stuff will work in FSX?