Change runway numbers

I have noticed recently that the runway numbers at Taiwan Taoyuan Intl (RCTP) have changed. The original runway 05L has been changed to 05 and 05R is now 06. The opposite ends of the runway also changed accordingly (23R to 23 and 23L to 24). I would like to make these changes in the sim but not sure how to do it. I am using Taiwan Taoyuan scenery from PacSim. I have attempted to change runway numbers using ADEX but no luck. Could anyone help me out with this little problem. I mean, the worlds not going to come to an end if I can't correct it, but would be nice. Thanks

If you change the runway numbers, then you should change all of them in the sim -- plus VOR radials and probably some other things -- since a runway number is the magnetic heading of the runway to the nearest 10º, thus runway 03 is somewhere between 026º and 035º, and you would need to change the magnetic variation* in the sim to match, at least if you want your compass heading to be right when you are on the runway.

Of course you can use ADE to modify airports pretty much however you want, but the sim has been around for a decade and a half, so a number of things don't match the current real world. Even though you haven't done it, there is a way in ADE to change those -- it's been a while though, and I'd have to spend some time with it again to remind myself, something to do with airport properties, I think.

*The magnetic north pole is constantly moving, so that the variation is constantly changing. So runway number, chart depictions of mag var, even VOR radial numbers change from time to time.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It can be done, but the trick is to make sure you are loading the right BGL airport file to begin with. I actually updated several Taiwan airports with more parking and what not and upload it here sometime this past Winter I think it was. I'm pretty familiar with AFCAD editing in FS2004 and FSX with AFX or ADE. I know many things about ADE, but there are others I'm still needing to learn.

To find the right BGL that needs to be edited you have to look in that scenery folder and make an educated guess.

If you do know the right BGL, then in order to change runway numbers you have to double click the runway. Or I think you can right click the runway. Make sure your cursor is not on a runway link. Just place the cursor on blank asphalt to the side of center line then double click (careful not to accidentally move the runway in the process). Within the options given you should have the runway heading and numbers option.

You do have the FSX SDK installed and all the pertinent directories listed in ADE for the required SDK files? I can't remember now as it's been a few years since I installed ADE, but the FSX SDK you need is like version 2 or something. I made that mistake when I first started. There are two different FSX SDKs. One works with ADE, the other doesn't. You'll know if you can't compile.

And that's another thing. You need to compile the airport, not save it. Saving it is just creating a save file to pick up from latter on. Compiling creates the actuality needed BGL file that FSX uses. Though, you can drag and drop an FS2004 or FSX BGL file onto the ADE icon and it'll open. Just make sure you pick the right FS version when you do so.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Thanks for the reply CRJ_simpilot, yes, I do have SDK installed, including the 1a update. I have compiled the BGL file but I must still be missing something. When I start the sim and go to RCTP, the runways are still same as before. I changed the runway ID's, and updated the ILS for both ends of both runways. As I reported, I am using RCTP from PacSim. Just to be on the safe side, I also went into the scenery folder and updated the stock airport, folder 1002, APX80230. I know I'm missing a step in this process but I'm stuck in the head-scratching mode.

Thanks for the response f16jockey_2. Fact is, the BGL is in an active scenery folder and I do get the up when starting FSX. That's why this is so confusing. I make sure the all is done and when I select the airport and runway, it's showing the original runway numbers. I know i'm missing something but can't figure what it is. I have used ADE X before, but never tried this. CRJ_simpilot seemed to be going in the right direction so let's see if he comes back on and can help a little more. But thank you f16jockey_2 for your thoughts. Appreciate it

The BGL file you edited needs to be replaced with the BGL file you created. Just make sure you backup the original. I have a felling this is an issue of more than one BGL file being active at once and that the PacSim BGL file has higher priority thereby nullifying your newly edited BGL file you have activated.

I am using Taiwan Taoyuan scenery from PacSim. I have attempted to change runway numbers using ADEX but no luck.

Be aware!

While in FSX stock airports (and many freeware addons) the physical numbers (as painted on the ground) simply can be changed through ADE, it's mostly not the case with payware airports.

Payware airports use textured ground polygons for the visual appearance of the runways. One has to edit textures to change that.

It's very well possible that your modified BGL is active, so ATC will call "06" in stead of "05R". Dunno if you've tried that.

But the appearance in the sim will still be "05R" until you modify the textures.

BTW: stay away from it if not an experienced repainter. And make backups, lots of backups...

OTOH maybe there's an update in the pipeline at PacSim?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

OK folks, just about got it fixed. I played around with the location of the PacSim package and wound up putting it in the addon scenery folder. In the scenery library, it appears as a separate scenery area. I made sure it was above "Addon Scenery". In almost every regard, it's working. One issue remains, the actual numbers on the runways are the old numbers. I thought ADE would take care of that. Guess not. So how do I get the actual markings on the runways? I have been using flight simulators ever since "Sub-Logic" and Microsoft were competing but this is first time I have wanted to get into the guts of the software (so to speak). Taiwan is my second home and was my wife's home, so I kinda want to get it right. Any help in wrapping up this little chore would be appreciated. I do want to thank all for your input. It was VERY helpful.

Tower and ATC are announcing the runways correctly and f16jockey_2 was right. The numbers are painted on. Darn! Oh well, I'm not even going to fix that. Way above my pay-grade. However, I did step over to my FS9, and lo and behold, I have a Taipei scenery I purchased from FlightSim.com store. Forgot all about it. It has correct runways, perfect. So, I logged onto the store, found a version of same scenery for FSX. Bought it. It's all good now. Got what I was looking for all along, learned a few things and had a chance to chat with some real nice folks. I sincerely thank all who helped me figure this out. Have a goodun ya'll