Upgrade everything or just ram?

My old system is an I7 with a GTX 780ti and 8GB ram so I can accept minimum recommended specs or if I upgrade to 32GB ram then it would be best to upgrade to an I9 and a 2080ti probably...what do you guys think?

Oh I need Windows 10 also...can you still upgrade to Windows 10 for free? That means I have to redo all my installs and drivers.

You haven’t said which i7 cpu you have? Whatever it is, it’ll be over the recommended spec, never mind the minimum.

Your graphics card though.. it’s just over the minimum but you seriously need to upgrade it. I have the RTX2080ti which is the ideal spec, but there are plenty of cards in between (& much cheaper)

As for your RAM.. I’d say 16gb at least, but I’d go for 32Gb if I were you.

Before upgrading the motherboard & CPU, I would wait until it’s released and you can check it out for yourself. It’s not long now after all.

You will need Windows 10 first though & far as I know.. yes you can still upgrade Win7 to Win10 for free. You might have to google that but I, pretty sure you can.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I can confirm that Windows 7 can still be upgraded Windows 10 - three days ago I did a full re-install to get the 2004 update and used my Windows 7 activation code with no problems.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You haven’t said which i7 cpu you have? Whatever it is, it’ll be over the recommended spec, never mind the minimum.

Your graphics card though.. it’s just over the minimum but you seriously need to upgrade it. I have the RTX2080ti which is the ideal spec, but there are plenty of cards in between (& much cheaper)

As for your RAM.. I’d say 16gb at least, but I’d go for 32Gb if I were you.

Before upgrading the motherboard & CPU, I would wait until it’s released and you can check it out for yourself. It’s not long now after all.

You will need Windows 10 first though & far as I know.. yes you can still upgrade Win7 to Win10 for free. You might have to google that but I, pretty sure you can.

Regards

Steve

I can confirm that Windows 7 can still be upgraded Windows 10 - three days ago I did a full re-install to get the 2004 update and used my Windows 7 activation code with no problems.

OK...I might just get a whole new system since I need to upgrade more than just ram.

RTX2080ti? Wow that costs more than my entire system I bought a year ago which has an i7-9700K 16GB RAM and RTX2060 OC.

It would want to be gold plated.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Tell me about it! :)

Actually, I also had to get a new PSU to run it as my 600w wasn’t really enough.

Gigabyte RTX2080ti 11gb £1148.41

Corsair 750w PSU. £123.70

Bought in April this year

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

looking at P3dv5 i think VRAM will be also a bottleneck

in order to advance huge steps in the cpu potential the core is now using independently the GPU vram so 8gb I would say is the benchmark to avoid crashing

As you know P3D v5 users are reporting crashes by VRAM consumption in about nearly everybody

Even shift-z comes now with our VRAM availability/usage

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think