2nd HDD or not?

ColR1948

I just got myself a new PC: Windows10 pro, i7 3.30GHz, 16GB ram, Nvidia GTX650, 2TB HDD.

I know loads of room to install FS9, FSX and Xplane11 which I have, would you recomend adding a 2nd HDD and install the Sims on that or just use the main HDD?

Col.

Yes, installing on a 2nd disk has made things easier for me for the last 15+ years, and minimizes the headaches that Win 10 can throw at you by their user access controls, though a lot of that is just from getting the installation out of the Program Files folders. You may well find other uses for that second drive, as well. In addition, there may be a slight speedup at times, due to the operating system and the sim being on different drives, thus not conflicting at disk read time (I emphasize slight -- you might not notice it).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes TY Larry, on my old PC I did have them on 2nd HDD, and true it was easier to manage but I never had a 2TB hdd before.

I think I will take your advice mate and install a 2nd HDD then start the process of installing flight sims lol.

Col.

Col, I have a 256 GB SSD system boot and windows install drive. I have 2 2gb HDs. I install all programs and flightsims on the F drive. Then I back up everything on the G drive and a portable WD 2 GB H drive (in case of a major PC failure). I perform program backups as needed and the weekly system restore and system image backups alternating between the F, G, and H drives. If one of my flightsim installs or other programs fail I just reinstall the base program to update the registry entries then copy the good backup install to the F drive with no hassle and no loss.

Larry

Hi Larry, I did have something on those lines on my old PC, but I didn't have the facility or the program know how to do system image. I had 3 drives, and put the sims on the 2nd and used the 3rd for backup stuff, like a big store of files in separate folders.

The thing is I have Windows 10 in the 2tb main drive, so moving it might and knowing my luck will muck it all up lol.

Col.

How about adding a second partition on the drive? No sense wasting 2TB.

Cheers!

Luke

Well, it isn't a waste if you do other things with your PC. I have quite a number of other programs installed, including a video editing program, ham radio stuff, PageStream (desktop publishing), lots of stuff for still photography (in addition to videography), and much, much more, and I found I've had to add additional drives beyond my pair of 1TB drives ( C: and D: ) to hold edited movies, backups and much more, in addition to two sims with a tremendous amount of scenery and other add-ons.

So if you have a PC dedicated to only one sim then it might be a "waste," but otherwise there's plenty of use for that remaining space, including future expansion.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I just added another 1TB hard drive, I am formatting it as I type.

It was a pain to install as the cable management was so good I had to undo some of it to get the cables to reach, I managed it by moving the DVDrom down a bay making the cables longer, also just changed the graphics card, the one in it wasn't that good.

I put my old Nvidia GEForce GTX 1050Ti, it was OK with the sims last time, installed the drivers and up to date lol.

Col.

Ha Ha, the laugh was on me, after struggling with the cables for the 2nd hard drive, I was putting the sides back on the PC and spotted another cable, it was hid behind a few more, so it was back to sort them out a bit better.

I got FS2004 installed plus my backed up aircraft and scenery, tried one flight and all is well so far, probably FSX tomorrow the Xplane11.

Col.