Where to unzip files to ...

LexicalLuthor

Hi,

I often hesitate before downloading what looks like a very tasty file because I never know where to unzip to. I just downloaded a B777 Air Canada Livery and went straight to the readme.txt but the instructions were a little scant!

After a LOT of searching I eventually found the folder for my FSX:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

but that doesn't really help me a lot. The instructions read "Hello and thankyou for downloading my Air Canada paint for the SSP 777-200LR.

to add this aircraft to your library, simply extract the aircraft file into your FS9/FSX folder."

Does he mean the actual ROOT folder - or one of the subfolders? If yes, do I need to then ADD the aircraft inside the game itself?

Sorry to be such a dimwit - but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Thank you!

Jim

For FSX it should go into the simobjects/aircraft folder under the root folder. Saying "extract the aircraft file" indicates it's probably a .zip file, so it might have most of what you need installed with the extraction, if it's adding to an existing aircraft, you may need to add some information to the aircraft.cfg file. If you don't already have that aircraft then you may have to install the aircraft to use that download.

So if this doesn't help enough, then specify what you are actually doing, and preferably which file you downloaded.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

To add to What Larry said. I like to extract the files to an "unzipped" folder before putting them in FSX or FS2002 or X-Plane. This serves three purposes. First, it allows you to check that all the needed files are present. The file may need a specific panel or sound file or alias that is not present. You can look at the aircraft.config and make sure the files match and are available. Second, not all files are compiled the same way. By extracting to an unzipped folder I can make sure the correct folder is moved into the sim. It also lets me check for any obvious glitches that might be present, these are free files and not all uploaders are comprehensive. Finally, this gives me the opportunity to edit the file if I want to add any improved flight dynamics or a better panel.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

For FSX it should go into the simobjects/aircraft folder under the root folder. Saying "extract the aircraft file" indicates it's probably a .zip file, so it might have most of what you need installed with the extraction, if it's adding to an existing aircraft, you may need to add some information to the aircraft.cfg file. If you don't already have that aircraft then you may have to install the aircraft to use that download.

So if this doesn't help enough, then specify what you are actually doing, and preferably which file you downloaded.

boeing_777-223lr_air_canada.zip

is the name of the file.

If the unzipped files (and I did indicate in the initial post that it is a zip file) should be placed in one specific folder then WHY didn't the author tell the downloader where to place each of the extracted files? Is is simply assumed that the downloader will know?

How was I supposed to know that the files should be placed in the simobjects/aircraft folder?

Seriously, this is NOT a criticism - it's a genuine question.

I did exactly as instructed - unzipped to a folder (basically a folder called the same as the zip file minus the .zip part). I placed it in the /Simobjects/Airplanes folder as instructed (incidentally it's Airplanes in mine - not Aircraft) - however when I open the FSX game, and go to select aircraft, it is not appearing.

Have I missed a vital step?

Thanks again for you assistance!

There is no standard in how these files are compiled. Make sure the folder is not beneath another folder. When you open it, it should look something like this, but probably with more livery entries.

Another potential problem could be a mismatch of file calls in the aircraft.config, and the sound and panel installed. If your panel or sound is named, then the aircraft.config must match those names. For example, if the panel folder is named panel.J94, then then the aircraft.config should have a line, panel=J94.

L2folder.jpg

ABCon.jpg

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU