Flightsim world closure announced by DTG:

HyFlyer

As an aside I notice Avsim have closed and locked their FSW section and consigned it to the bottom of the heap. A bit strange given those who own it (even me, despite my whinging) might at some point want to fire it up for a brief valedictory at what might have been.

Presumably further discussion of FSW not welcome over there... :rolleyes:

Will the FSW boards here suffer the same fate?

Vern.

It got closed as it ended up with a lot of childish behaviour, moans & groans.

Obviously FSW is now dead & it is pointless trying to discuss what could have been. Nobody knows at all.

So, maybe just keep a forum open for tips?

It should end up becoming free, as Flight! became. Another sim, with some merit, shut down for lack of public support.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

so in terms of flying and physics and stuff like that was this as good or better in any way then FSX? or was it just a limited polished version of FSX?

I think scenery (basic Orbx) and weather were better than vanilla FSX. If they had added some good prop and jet airliners and helos I would have been happy. I particularly liked their start and route location selection using a movable and zoomable world map was excellent.

As an aside I notice Avsim have closed and locked their FSW section and consigned it to the bottom of the heap. A bit strange given those who own it (even me, despite my whinging) might at some point want to fire it up for a brief valedictory at what might have been.

DTG Cryss has confirmed that if you already own FSW, it'll stay in your Steam Library.

At some point the DLC missions will be available for free, also via Steam.

There's some negotiation going on regarding the ongoing availability of the payware DLC, including the BlueSky Spitfire which is very near completion apparently.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Presumably further discussion of FSW not welcome over there... :rolleyes:

Will the FSW boards here suffer the same fate?

i would have to say that yes they would. why clog up the forums for a dead product? I,m glad I did not buy FSW would be a waste of money. maybe this will be a lesson to DTG that they be more worried about a product and not just a cash cow genre?

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

As an aside I notice Avsim have closed and locked their FSW section and consigned it to the bottom of the heap.

Just for general information, the forum itself is not "locked". Only a few of the latest threads were closed for comments.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Who had a BAD business model? Who was a BAD business doggy?

(Hopefully the software designer group have already found employment in a better company).

Read about it all over the net, or on the forums here. FSX was all about inclusivity, encouraging the aftermarket to collaborate and develop independently.

DTG closed the open access route and insisted all product was marketed through them or their chosen channels. There was no business incentive for the aftermarket to create or develop when they could only take home a small percentage of the proceeds of the sweat of their labours.

Then there was the scurrilous deposition of half-finished `alpha` product in the paying public. It was always about what WASN'T working on that particular build, meaning the package was a long way behind a honed FSX installation. You had to carefully look at the information to realise what wasn't there.

That did it for me. If either had been addressed, I'd have contributed in order to provide funds for ongoing development, but without? Do we LOOK stupid? With that bad business theory, it was always going to end in collapse. A peter-out to eventual stagnation.

Read about it all over the net, or on the forums here. FSX was all about inclusivity, encouraging the aftermarket to collaborate and develop independently.

DTG closed the open access route and insisted all product was marketed through them or their chosen channels. There was no business incentive for the aftermarket to create or develop when they could only take home a small percentage of the proceeds of the sweat of their labours.

Then there was the scurrilous deposition of half-finished `alpha` product in the paying public. It was always about what WASN'T working on that particular build, meaning the package was a long way behind a honed FSX installation. You had to carefully look at the information to realise what wasn't there.

That did it for me. If either had been addressed, I'd have contributed in order to provide funds for ongoing development, but without? Do we LOOK stupid? With that bad business theory, it was always going to end in collapse. A peter-out to eventual stagnation.

I think another reason developers didn't want any thing to do with FSW was half that profit went to steam and half went to DTG so a maker like A2A for example only got 10% of profit of what ever they tried to sell for FSW. so if you have a 20 dollar airplane for example 10 dollars would go to steam 5 goes to DTG and 5 would go to A2A. now does that seem fair? A2A products are way better then that.

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

Archived