Flight gear 18.3.2 initial set up

flytv1

Hi Thorsten.

So just to make sure, moving the view works, you just can't do it with the mouse for some reason, if you try it with the mouse, something else happens?

Yes, that is correct, I am not sure if it's the version of 182 that I have, my OS.. that causes it it? Very odd that you guys have a different behavior. I tried a new FG download, the same version as I could tell, reinstalled from scratch and I got the same behavior.

That isn't a problem because you can easily make it persistent, but since moving the viewpoint is supposed to be a dynamical part of the simulation (like you move your head in reality), hat's the preferred mode of operation I guess and saving user-side custom views has low priority.

(You'd make it persistent by either editing the aircraft files or writing your own config which you load via commandline)

OK, I will try that mod in the acft file, if you point me in the right direction, and will try to see why to find a solution to the dynamic problem. I was able to select an option where for every position the dynamic view changed, when I looked Left / Right.. but the head position did not change.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What needs to be done is to re-engineer the human in FG to fit FG and not the other way around. He/she would have IQ of 160 and be able to code / re-code, 'on the fly' (pardon the pun) in his/her head any of the objects by simply just 'thinking' about them. How? Easy: he/she would be 'wired' to the on board computer and specifically to the 'command line' input circuit(s). Verbal commands would only used to 'Start' and to 'Stop' command line imput(s).

Because the human in FG is now even a genius mechanical engineer he/she would install a electric switch (button) on dash for the cowl flaps. Push (and hold) to open (gradually) the cowl flaps. Push (and hold) to close (gradually) the cowl flaps.

And for being able to see all around, including the cowl, he/she would have their eye above the eyebrows and be able to see the cowl (irregardless of seat position) and also have one eye on each jaw bone, just below the ear where he/she would be able to see the wing tips of the airplane (any plane) without even having to move the head (ie: no 'dynamics' involved).

Of course you would have to change the name to FRIGHT GEAR (but then immediately 'resign' and 'retire' to your dungeon, where you belong to start with) and disconnect your pc to stay off the 'un-social media' (ie: forums). The 'real' humans are SO fragile. Why can't they be like the ones in FG I don't really know (or want to know). I will now go back to ACOF and be happy.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

What needs to be done is to re-engineer the human in FG to fit FG and not the other way around.

Sorry - is there a point to this text? It sounds neither constructive nor entertaining in any way. So maybe it's really something that doesn't need to be shared at all?

Hi Thorsten.

Sorry - is there a point to this text?

Just some dry humor, don't take it seriously.

I tried to fix some of the Eyepoint and Cowl issues in the c182s.xml but it did not affect the actual mode for the eye point and the Cowl increased KIAS over all but we need something that affects the drag Only when they are open. It's obvious that I do not understand the effect some of these parameters have on the actual model.

Thanks for your help.

Drag_due_to_cowl_flaps

aero/qbar-psf

metrics/Sw-sqft

aero/function/kCLge

propulsion/engine[0]/cowl-flaps-norm

@flytv1:

It isn`t dry humor. It is just stupid bashing.

FlightGear provides a wiki. And there is a entry about jsbsim- the flightmodel used here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/JSBSim

The section about metrics shows you that eyepoint is just used for calculating pilots g-force. That`s no surprise, since a flight dynamics model doesn`t anything have to do with views.

Views are set in FlightGear - exactly- in the -set.xml of each aircraft.

And you are wrong- the part of the cowl drag is correct. It does gradually create drag if the cowl flap is open. The code section shows that the cowl flap drag coefficient is multiplied with propulsion/engine[0]/cowl-flaps-norm (closed = 0; Open = 1), and then multiplied with other related coefficients. On level flight you can see that a open cowl flap reduces speed, and speed increases when closed again.

Your value for level flight is btw. too high, I got some nice results with 0.003 - 0.004.

I can see after some testing that for climb, either propulsion is not correct, or the whole lift/drag curve of the aircraft is not correct, since with closed cowl flap climbrate is much too high.....

Anyway, I recommend to create a new issue on github, instead of trying to fix it yourself. Link: https://github.com/HHS81/c182s/issues

I never bash. I have too much respect for the work it takes to get, and keep, FG going. So was just trying for to make you laugh.

I have FG but haven't installed it yet. I am looking to see if maybe there is, or is going to be, driveable vehicles (race cars) in FG. Then I would install and work on dynamics for them (my 'bag'). I might not be possible. But, if I can get my head around FG -vs- FS9/FSX dynamics (for vehicles) I would surely love FG. Have a nice one.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I am looking to see if maybe there is, or is going to be, driveable vehicles (race cars) in FG.

Tons, though I guess some under different licenses on private repositories. There's also a racetrack somewhere as 3d model where people have entertained themselves with motorcycle races - this thread might give you the idea.

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29819

but it did not affect the actual mode for the eye point

As Heiko said, it's defined in c182s-set.xml in the section that looks like

true

true

(there's more blocks below for co-pilot view etc., I guess you get the picture). It's fairly self-explanatory I guess.

Archived