Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC

zswobbie1

Thx,

It still wanted to block d/l, whatever...I saved it, extracted it, ran it, froze me up for 10 seconds.

It pointed to a directory/ documents where my saved flights are... Shouldn't it point to an *.exe file?

I still need to know what file/folder to point it to.

Thank you again

TS

Why don't I get email notifications when someone replies? TIA

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/registry-keys-fsx-fsx-se-p3dv1-p3dv2.432633/

This AM I searched for(where is registry entry for Microsoft Flight Simulator X)and the kind Person above verified I was in the right place in the registry.

Since I have FSX installed, I looked at it's values, I missed posting the screenshot of the 10 (FSX) entry in regedit, listed above the entry for 9(FS9) in screenshot, where it clearly showed:

AppPath REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

In my case the path is:

RootKey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Key: \Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

SubKey: AppPath

I went to the 9 entry just above 10, and under the Flight Simulator entry and rt clicked in the right panel / new/ string value, named it AppPath.

Then I opened file explorer, and opened C:\Flight Simulator 9, and rt clicked in tool bar/copy address.

I went back to regedit 9(FS9) entry and rt clicked on AppPath/ edit and pasted C:\Flight Simulator 9

I feel better knowing it's there now, and thanks to above website poster, they pretty much left a clear trail on how and where to create registry entries for all versions of fsx, and in my case fs9 on windows 10 by substituting 9 for 10, (if the tools mentioned below post don't finish the job)

FS9Path_Utility can be found here on flightsim, and Registry Repair Tool @https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library, that gave me so much crap.

full disclosure: create a backup of registry before you change it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+backup+registry&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS949US949&ei=ymazYNfFPJvVtAbJkLnwCA&oq=how+to+backup+registry&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAwyAggAMgYIABAHEB4yAggAMgIIADICCAAyBggAEAcQHjICCAAyAggAMgQIABAeMgQIABAeOgYIABAFEB46CAgAEAcQBRAeOgYIABAIEB46BQgAEIYDOgUIABCRAjoECAAQDVDChAJYvaoDYPrQA2gAcAJ4AIABUogByQWSAQIxMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjX0vuZl_HwAhWbKs0KHUlIDo4Q4dUDCA4

• 2 months later...

Np's ty,

Credit to Swobbie1, aka Robin of South Africa for the move fix, getting it into the registry was me, and poster I credited below for leading me to the right place to manually add the reg entries.

My fs2004 has survived 3 moves from Windows xp to 7 to 10...I was running this program from DOS in early 90's then win 3.1 and so on...

All of my addon scenery looks way better, of course going through the move again got me clearing out conflicts and dual entries etc.

I never really fly that much any more, it was just the challenge of the move to Win 10 that got me going.

I also got the original Call of Duty4, and COD 1-2 aka Call of duty expansion pack (finest hour and United offensive) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, all from early 2000s original disks, each I was told by Steam couldn't be done w/o their versions...

Screenshot 2021-08-04 071525.png

Thx for your concern,

TS

Wasted early Mid age 2010-?

https://www.youtube.com/user/sneauxwolf/videos?view_as=subscriber

Edited by deauxwolf

Any opinions on which compatibility mode to run? Does it affect performance?

I recently copied my fs9 to a Windows 10 system and noticed that many of the aircraft (Ifly 737, pmdg 747) don’t have any screens on the PFDs, just all black. I wasn’t running in compatibility mode, was this the solution? Or perhaps I should reinstall those aircraft?

Any opinions on which compatibility mode to run? Does it affect performance?

I recently copied my fs9 to a Windows 10 system and noticed that many of the aircraft (Ifly 737, pmdg 747) don’t have any screens on the PFDs, just all black. I wasn’t running in compatibility mode, was this the solution? Or perhaps I should reinstall those aircraft?

Don't run any compatibility mode or as admin. The issue is with the aircraft. Reinstall those planes. You can't just copy and paste them.

Mark Daniels

Don't run any compatibility mode or as admin. The issue is with the aircraft. Reinstall those planes. You can't just copy and paste them.

Thanks! What’s the issue with running as admin? I’ve been running fs2004 (and pretty much everything else) as admin all this time.

Thanks! What’s the issue with running as admin? I’ve been running fs2004 (and pretty much everything else) as admin all this time.

It changes privileges that certain add-ons may need and they won't work. Is there any reason why you have it checked?

FS9 is best run without any change to the settings advised in this thread. Those running these changes are because Win 10 stopped FS9 working on their PC's and there is no other way for them to run it. Most users won't need to apply these changes and shouldn't.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

It changes privileges that certain add-ons may need and they won't work. Is there any reason why you have it checked?

FS9 is best run without any change to the settings advised in this thread. Those running these changes are because Win 10 stopped FS9 working on their PC's and there is no other way for them to run it. Most users won't need to apply these changes and shouldn't.

Got it. But doesn’t this thread advise to run as administrator and in compatibility mode (first post)?

Sorry guys, way off topic, I posted in Fraps forum here, they said ask in 2004 forums...

When I open Fraps, I get an error It'll record Sound, no video

fraps.jpg

Win 10 pro I have the latest version of Fraps 3.5.99.

When I tried to record a flight in Microsoft flight sim 2004 aka, fs9 or FS2004, I got an error (The custom video player etc., etc., is not compatible with fraps, codecs etc., etc...

Then it opens my default programs and says choose one, then: this item was encoded in a format not recognized etc., etc.,

Is there a work around?

I've written Fraps to no avail.

https://fraps.com/members.php

Ty,

ts Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

System Model: MS-7C83

BIOS: 1.40 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16250MB RAM

Page File: 12809MB used, 8048MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Sorry guys, way off topic, I posted in Fraps forum here, they said ask in 2004 forums...

When I open Fraps, I get an error It'll record Sound, no video

Fraps is long abandoned so you won't get a reply.

The message means it needs a required codec to create video.

When it opens and asks you to choose a default program, you must point it to one of the programs Fraps is compatible with.

Mark Daniels

I didn't create the post or make it a sticky.

Yikes, I copied the instructions exactly to get FS9 up and running on my Windows 10 PC from my Windows 7 one. Hopefully that was the right thing to do. Seemed so simple to copy/paste the install from one computer to the next.

Yikes, I copied the instructions exactly to get FS9 up and running on my Windows 10 PC from my Windows 7 one. Hopefully that was the right thing to do. Seemed so simple to copy/paste the install from one computer to the next.

FS9 should work on Win 10 without any of those settings applied. If it does, you don't need them and you shouldn't apply them.

If FS9 doesn't work, then use them. Using them will create certain issues but you have no choice.

Mark Daniels