Nemeth Designs Bell 407, tick,tick,tick, THEN engage + smoke until run-up!

Ralie25

Hi all,

Grabbed the Nemeth Bell 407 recently. Great work by the team but one thing that is mildly frustrating (mildly as it does start eventually) is that when engaging the starter, after following the checklists, I hear the starter sound on repeat 3 times, then the engine starts. Had a look outside and there is smoke coming from the engine (disappears after aircraft is ready for takeoff).

It doesn't bother me too much but for sure would be nice to not have to hear the starter track 3 times AND of course having a more complete start up simulation.

Let me know your thoughts!

Kind regards

Sounds like the "spark plug(s)" that turbine engines use to fire the engine during start up. I've heard the same tick-tick-tick during startups many times. They get the air flowing, then about 20% the pilot turns the fuel on, and hit's the spark plugs. Tick-tick-tick until it catches, then it spins up to idle. Naturally, you can't hear the tick any more once the burner cans catch, as the sound from the turbine section, not to mention the compressors, overwhelm it. Also, once the pilot sees the engine start to spin up, along with the turbine temp start to climb, he releases the spark plug switch.

Some planes have automatic systems, so when the pilot advances the throttle to idle during start up, it allows the fuel to flow and activates the spark plugs, then shuts the spark off once the burners catch.

You can even hear it when firing up the "start cart" we used, which really was a small turbine engine, used to provide air and electrics for a plane during start up.

All this is from the older planes, mind you, like the Phantom II, the Kfir, the A-4, the Harrier, etc etc. Newer planes have a built in APU, like the F/A-18. They can start themselves, and don't need the external assistance. You can still hear the tick-tick, though.

I think the Nemeth '407 was just set up to tick three times before the engines catch. I know, sometimes 2, sometimes 5, but on average, three is probably a pretty realistic start sequence. Turbines can start pretty smokey, until everything is going right, and all the temps are at their proper levels, thus the smoke you see.

Is this a freeware model? If so, can you give me the file name you downloaded, and from where? I can DL and try it out and see what's what, if you want. I also have a number of helicopters I grabbed from the old Hovercontrol site before it went away. Maybe one of them is the same as you have.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hello Pat!

Indeed the 407 in question is a payware model. It's pretty good IMO but indeed the issue with the starter seems to be the only real problem. I shall indeed accept that it is a flaw of the design which as mentioned I'm not too bothered about :cool: I have realised that being a perfectionist with sim aircraft isn't really a good idea... :p

Which Helo's did you manage to get from Hovercontrol? Still can't understand why they closed it off, was such a great site!

Best

Which Helo's did you manage to get from Hovercontrol? Still can't understand why they closed it off, was such a great site!

A LOT of them. The HC Bell 407 PE they made, which is a real nice chopper, Several Nemeth MD500's, A couple Bell 47's, AH-1's, Their Bell 206's in a large flock (lots of them :D ), UH-1's, etc. I can't list them all, my fingers don't have the endurance :p

Also, almost every HUD for a helicopter they had, various misc gauges, and their sceneries, the Scar Creek stuff, the ones they made for practicing lifting and transporting sling loads, same for the Hawaii stuff, and of course their Hood River scenery, which I just love flying around in.

Last, but not least by a long shot, don't forget the last, and best, version of HTR. Helicopter Total Realism, by Fred Naar. Wonderful little program, if you set up the .cfg files right.

Why did they close it? I think the primary owner of the site, Jordan Moore, who's an amazing sim helicopter maker, btw, retired, and, given the "usership" of the site and forums, decided it wasn't worth his time and money any more.

So, good luck!

Pat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

No worries! I'm a little spoilt these days, have only gone with payware aircraft - ha ha. I do remember the days of getting my helicopters from Hovercontrol however! Flew the MD's and AS350's off there regularly. Not to mention the 206 which was upgraded to DoDo status... Such a great site for sure! Definitely a shame that he closed it down. Obviously the time was right though, for him, and perhaps the site in general. Would've loved to have taken part in keeping it going however... I believe that Helisimmer is the closest we've got at the moment. Not bad I guess but Hovercontrol from what I recall was outstanding, a real community of helicopter enthusiasts!

Anyway these things happen I suppose.

Thanks for your comments!

Best