Trouble closing and saving aircraft.cfg file

Sterk03

New in town but learning and my question is i'm having trouble closing and saving an aircraft.cfg file after say i add a texture.

I will click save and it will come back with an incorrect file or location, and I am looking at the location and I did not edit it and

it looks correct so not sure what is happening. I cannot just click save and exit. The only way I can close Aircraft.cfg is to cancel and

then exit so the change is not saved. If anyone has a answer to me I would appreciate it. I will try again and then I guess get a screen

of the response if it keeps doijng it and see what I am missing but ifnotepad opened the file it has teh exact location and I'm just editing it

and trying to save it. I looked at the FAQ but they seem to reference adding changing info and then save and exit as this should work.

Thanks

Sterk03

If your FSX has been installed into the default location on your C drive, then UAC is preventing you from making changes to your Sim. You can Google "FSX and UAC" to see how to get around it!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

New in town but learning and my question is i'm having trouble closing and saving an aircraft.cfg file after say i add a texture.

I will click save and it will come back with an incorrect file or location, and I am looking at the location and I did not edit it and

it looks correct so not sure what is happening. I cannot just click save and exit. The only way I can close Aircraft.cfg is to cancel and

then exit so the change is not saved. If anyone has a answer to me I would appreciate it. I will try again and then I guess get a screen

of the response if it keeps doijng it and see what I am missing but ifnotepad opened the file it has teh exact location and I'm just editing it

and trying to save it. I looked at the FAQ but they seem to reference adding changing info and then save and exit as this should work.

Thanks

Sterk03

The aircraft .cfg is NOT the same as the FSX .cfg and should not b econfused with it: The aircraft .cfg is in the aircraft folder with the rest of the aircraft itself. If you are having trouble saving it you have saved it wrong. Save the modified aircraft .cfg to your desktop, then move it back to the correct location, overwriting the existing file. Re-set your preferences to allow the aircraft .cfg to be overwritten- or don't and use this method in future...

Before UAC (a security measure being used by WINDOWS 7 & 10) you could open aircraft.cfg, make changes, then just click 'SAVE' and you were done. NOTEPAD remembered WHERE the cfg came from even if you had 3 cfgs open.

So with UAC any file(s) that is in the 'default' path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games) is PROTECTED so you are unable to do it like before. You can do workaround by copy to desktop, open with Notepad, make changes, then 'Save As' (or move) the aircraft.cfg to original location, clicking 'Yes' to overwrite. Not that much to it. But it's a Windows 'thing' and not a FltSim 'thing', just FYI. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for the answers I will read over them and review it and try again.

Yes I am talking about the aircraft.CFG I cannot add textures or change items in the aircraft.cfg

I don't understand if I open it up and add something or change something then when I save it it should have the same path that it opened from and thats the path I want it to go back to. It gives me a box with check the path and file and they are exactly what it was when it opened up. So then it must be what your talking about the UAC. I will try the copy to desktop and notepad which I used and then back to the aircraft. Would this also pertain to FS9 I get the same message using it?

Thanks again for your answers, I will try again. Thanks Sterk03

Yes it will also work in FS9. Why? Because it's a WINDOWS 'thing' and not a FltSim (specific) 'thing'. The suggested routine is a work around. No use fighting Windows. Fool it instead. Normally NOTEPAD will 'KNOW' what path it opened the aircraft.cfg and thus when you click 'SAVE' it would (normally) be able to save it to that path. Windows defeats this ability. So you copy to desktop, do edits, then click 'Save As' and browse to path and when asked to overwrite say YES. Done. Windows and Flight Simulator are both by Micro$oft but they don't EVEN 'know' each other (hehe). What can we do. Deal with it. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).