Ok so starting afresh, are these tution books any good?

I bought these books yesterday and as I should of thought to ask on here I'm concerned if they are too advanced for a beginner.

Ive rushed ahead and need to start from scratch, I find the fsx tutorials hard to read id rather use a book

Trevor Thoms Air navigation (air pilots manual)

And

Pooleys Air pilot Manual flying training vol 1

Any good? I am a beginner, a very helpful member gave me some good links and source material which I will read, but I had already ordered these last night so have invested in them too

Aiming to be an accomplished flight sim pilot, will these books be ok as I have a tendency to waste a lot of time going down the wrong path and not progressing

Thanks

A reasonable reply is going to need SOME ONE (several of them) who has actually USED these specific books to make a judgement about what YOU need....difficult call; if there are 20 users who all think the books were good, then a "consensus" suggests that you might reasonably expect similar results, but they are still not YOU and you might need something completely different than they. Certainly give them a try, a fair trial for several mission, lessons, chapters... if all goes well, then continue. If, a couple weeks of poor results, simply admit that 'their' way is not 'your' way and put the Books away.

Raw fish is also not for everyone. Nothing wrong with never trying again if you didn't like it.

This is a Hobby, if it causes stress and it isn't working for you right now, try a different approach or put it away for a month. It has to be fun and not "work".

FAA has much PDF free documentation, including all the ground-school basics and fundamentals in their "Airplane pilots Handbook" (or similar name) Get real-world flight basics under your belt and many things will be easier because you understand what it is you are trying to do vs perhaps a series of lesson steps without a sense of what they are trying to teach.

Hope this is helpful,

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Trevor Thoms Air navigation (air pilots manual)

And

Pooleys Air pilot Manual flying training vol 1

Bear in mind that these are real-world manuals and so are going to be pretty dull, with questionable relevance to flight simming. Vol1 is particularly dry but it gives you the basic principles of flying the plane. If you want to stay interested I'd say you're better off with 'Teach Yourself to Fly' by Nigel Tangye or 'Stick and Rudder' by Wolgfang Langewiesche, although I question any simmer's resolve in taking things seriously enough, not to mention the sim's fairly poor approximation to real physics.

As for vol 3, it is intensely technical and likely will not reflect how most preople use the sim (or fly in real life) today (because they will use the GPS or perhaps radio nav aids). However, if you have photoscenery and want to fly old school, calculating wind drift and using map, clock and compass, this can be a very rewarding way to use the sim.

Perhaps it will help to say what your asiprations for flight simming are.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Bear in mind that these are real-world manuals and so are going to be pretty dull, with questionable relevance to flight simming. Vol1 is particularly dry but it gives you the basic principles of flying the plane. If you want to stay interested I'd say you're better off with 'Teach Yourself to Fly' by Nigel Tangye or 'Stick and Rudder' by Wolgfang Langewiesche, although I question any simmer's resolve in taking things seriously enough, not to mention the sim's fairly poor approximation to real physics.

As for vol 3, it is intensely technical and likely will not reflect how most preople use the sim (or fly in real life) today (because they will use the GPS or perhaps radio nav aids). However, if you have photoscenery and want to fly old school, calculating wind drift and using map, clock and compass, this can be a very rewarding way to use the sim.

Perhaps it will help to say what your asiprations for flight simming are.

I used Pooleys as part of my SEL.

Found it useful, but limited to specific areas of RW training.

Never referred to it for simulator use, ever.

But then I was qualified by then...