How does he do this?

cowbananas

Hi, I would love to know how this camera view is achieved in FS2004.

I'm trying to create a video where the aircraft lands in the distance and then pans across the screen as the plane goes past with a fixed camera rather than the default camera that tracks along the ground with the moving plane. Just like the viewer was standing at a fixed point a few yards off the runway with a camera on a tripod.

Hope you are all well!

Chris

Chris,

It's quite simple. Just move the "tower" to where you'd like to have it. Takes a bit of trial and error, adjusting the location and elevation of the tower. You'll need to zoom in quite close in the map view to make the fine adjustments in the tower location.

Elmer J. Fudd

In FS9 you can move the tower to where it belongs. You go to 'World/Map', tick on 'Tower' button, and zoom in (with '+' in Map menu bar) to see where the tower is in relation to the runway(s). You left click (and hold) the Tower Icon, then drag it to position you want. You can then 'dial in' the elevation (eyepoint, actually). Take airport elevation and add 20 feet for best view. Click 'OK' to go see result. Hit 'Backspace' to reset zoom to 1X. Zoom in/out with keyboard '+' and '-'.

If you get FSRecorder it has spot and tower views. You can add several tower views (like the start, center and end of runway) and switch between them either automatically or manually.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thank you both for your replies, very kind of you. I've tried all the suggestions and already had FS Recorder but still not achieving what I'm trying for.

I can get the 'flyby' in FSX where the camera is static as the plane approaches from the distance and then pans as the plane flies past and then off into the distance. The camera doesn't move from it's spot throughout, it just pans as the plane flies past. That's exactly what I'm after but FS9 doesn't have that by default. The youtube link shows it perfectly.

I have tried to install Active Camera but it's not working. I'm flying FS9.0

I'm working on a short film on airlines of the 1960s and have all my saved flights, landings, take offs etc. I've just kind of hit a brick wall here.

Again, thanks very much for taking the time to help me here. Any suggestions most welcome, I do appreciate it.

Edited by cowbananas
Addition

Hi.

If you set the tower eyepoint in the appropriate position and switch to Tower View in FS9, do you see what you would like to record?

I've never used FS Recorder but, reading Chuck's replay above, I wonder if you're still using Spot View.

(No stupid questions -- just questions other people are too embarrassed to ask. I have no shame.)

D

Yes use LOCKED SPOT view. I NEVER use SPOT view as it has (stupid) latency (moves irratic and shows in recordings). I use FLAPS to record my flights.

By what you say it sound like you are trying to set or adjust the eye point AFTER you record your flight. That is NOT possible. You have to set eye point when you are recording. No way to change eyepoint after you record your flight. No program can do that. Not even FSRecorder. You can't change EYEPOINT. That is SET in the recording.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes, Chuck, that's part of it...trying to set the view on a recorded flight. I've spent a few hours today trying to work it all out with yours and Elmer's help but as you say, on a recorded flight replay. Makes sense now.

I've made headway in setting an eyepoint away from the default tower view and that worked by setting the point using the Map/ Tower setting. I had never seen that option before. I can't save it as a preset...or can I?

Seems like it can only be saved as part of a saved flight.

I shall keep working the problem but again, thank you very much for your help.

The way I do it when doing flights that I want to record is to set tower view when I first load aircraft. I then do the flight. Do 'Instant Replay' and record that. You can change views when doing replay if you want but I usually only use tower view and locked spot view (that I can pan with joystick to get a side or nose view). Or zoom in and get the gear from rear on landing by zoom and joystick. I never used it but with EZdock you can preset views and just click on ezdock panel to go to that preset view. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

Thank you Tom and Chuck. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning.

I don't know what ADE or AFCAD is but I'll try to find out, Tom.

How do you lick the Spot view, Chuck? I can see that you can 'fix' that particular view but it has no effect for me at all.

Thanks guys, still having problems...

Chuck, I found this comment below from you dated 2006 but none of what you say in it is working at all for me. I press those keys...and nothing happens at all.

"You know, the 'fixed SPOT plane view' sort of confused me. Maybe it should have said 'fixed CAMERA view'. I got a new 'perpective' you can try.

When in 'fixed spot' view, hit the 'A' key (not 'S' at all). You will get 'Flyby' view. Set prefered zoom and move camera (with hat switch) to where you want it.

It stays fixed where you can taxi from hold line, make turn down runway, exit runway and go back to spot you were before (hold line) without the CAMERA moving!! You have to almost go down halfway down runway (like on takeoff) before CAMERA will move.

You then use 'F keys' only and switch switch back and forth between the 'Locked Spot' view and 'Flyby' view with use of those 2 key combo, or sequence, of: 'A', 'F11', 'A', F11, etc"

Sorry. All of that is for FSX only. Big mistake by me. Did not spot it 14 years ago. In fact I don't even remember posting that. I also don't remember what I had for dinner yesterday either. No, it's not the virus, it's old age (ha).

Chuck B

Napamule