FSX DX9 issues with RX 5700 XT GPU

Hi, I just upgraded my gpy from an RX 590 to an RX 5700XT (using AMD driver version 20.2.2) and now fsx won't run in the normal DX9 mode. When I click to run a mission or any free flight, screen turns black and it just hangs there. I can still here the theme music from the menu screen. After messing around I was able to get it to run only if I select "preview DX10" mode. I just started playing again after I recently purchased FSX Steam Edition. The DX10 mode is too glitchy for me to play regularly. Anyone know why fsx won't run with DX9 and if there's a way to fix this? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

I guess you have Windows 10. From there, you have 2 options:

- Go back to DX9. The next time you get the black screen, press Alt+Enter. It will take you to windowed mode. Fullscreen mode in Windows 10 is just too buggy. That's why LM doesn't offer it for P3D.

- If you insist with DX10, purchase DX10 Fixer.

In both cases, if you miss having the whole screen for FSX, install Borderless Gaming.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

When the settings are too high you get a black screen while the flight loads in the background. If you wait long enough the flight will eventually load. (but with stutters, as the settings are too high.).

In dx10 it still loads, because running in dx10 requires less computer resources.

Settings too high can be because you increased settings (because you were trying out setting changes when messing with dx10).

Settings too high can also be because your pc got slower.

Or because you installed high detail scenery or aircraft that take your pc extra effort to display.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I absolutely have to, I'll run it in windowed mode but I really don't want to. I never liked windowed mode on any game. Takes away from being fully immersed in the game. Those borders around the screen greatly annoy me but if it's the only way I can fly then I will.

I didn't know about DX10 Fixer. Where can I download DX10 Fixer?

Thank you for explaining il88pp. I understand what you're saying but how can a modern gaming pc like I have struggle to run FSX? I'm running Ryzen 2700X, 16gb Cosair vengeance ram and of course my RX 5700 XT. Also FSX is installed on an SSD. I never have issues running anything really.

I just went to PCGamer site that points out that there was a fix Feb 2020 for Ver 20.2.2. It disables the SuperSync in settings. But, AMD admits that some will still get the black screen and hangs anyway and are working on it. Disable SuperSnyc and restart your pc and see if that fixes it. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks napamule2, I think you are correct, that is probably causing the issue. AMD still has a lot of bugs to work out especially with the RX 5700 's and RX 5700 XT' s. These graphics cards are quite the beast though. I can game at even 4k high settings depending on the game. First time I ever owned a high end GPU.

Good news is that FSX works fine now all of a sudden. I don't know what changed but I opened the game today and now I can fly in full screen mode using DX9. I'm so happy :)

Thank you all for the suggestions.