Highest altitude airport in the US? LXV 9,934' msl

I received one of my favorite AOPA magazines yesterday. It's called FLIGHT TRAINING. Therein I found an article called Challenge Accepted. The premise of the article is for pilots to land at as many difficult airports to land at as possible. Challenges include high altitude, mountains, short runway, etc. They list eight (8) different airports to conquer. Being mostly housebound to stay healthy, I thought I'd try each challenge and post them here.

First Challenge: Density Altitude off the Charts!! At 9,934' msl Lake County Airport, also know as Leadville is actually for all intents and purposes in a valley

For the first challenge I chose to use a King Air, figuring it had plenty of power and ceiling for such a task. To fly into a place for the first time, you need a departure point. Considering the close proximity and beauty of the Aspen Colorado airport, I felt KASE was a great start off point. What I didn't really notice at first was that I'd have to climb out from Aspen at 7,820' fairly steeply or make a spiral ascent to the 14,000' I needed to clear the mountains. Then, almost in an instant, begin a steep descent into the "valley" and land at LXV, at 9,934'.

Below are shots I took during the flight. They're in RW time and RW reported weather.

1 with King Air  Lots of Gold in Aspen.jpg

I'm in that "tiny" King Air parked on the ramp with all the high priced planes that are found year around at Aspen As I usually do, when you click on any shot you'll find a description of where we are and what's happening. ;)

2   Number two for takeoff.jpg

3 Level off at 14K.jpg

4   Enroute.jpg

5  Last High Pass slowing for a quick descent.jpg

6  Lake County in sight.jpg

7  Downwind to Final.jpg

8  Tower view at LVX.jpg

9  On Final LVX.jpg

10  Taxi to Parking KLVX.jpg

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I've flown (virtually of course) into Lake Co countless times. Challenge yourself a little more by going from there to Telluride (KTEX) or vise-versa.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I've flown (virtually of course) into Lake Co countless times. Challenge yourself a little more by going from there to Telluride (KTEX) or vise-versa.

I just finished another flight from Aspen to Lake County in a Maule! BORING!! Spiral climb out, to clear the mountains then fall like a stone & end up too high and too hot on 1st attempt at Final, finally going around and landing. I think by the time I publish that flight I'll be through with Leadville for awhile!! But I will put it on my To Do List.

Thanks!

Michael

Funny you'd mention KTEX. Landing there is the next "Challenge" they suggest. Because of the altitude there and also the "dead-end canyon east of the airport. Since I just did two trips into Leadville I think I'll hit an island landing "Challenge" or two before I traverse any mountains again.

When I was much younger and worked on Ski Patrols I RW skied both Telluride and Aspen. Though I never had the money to fly in. I drove.

Strangely enough. Now that I think about it the 25 miles or so from Aspen to Leadville could probably be driven as fast or faster than making the trip over the peaks in that Maule!!!

Michael

Looks like fun!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]