Another "Challenge Accepted" Landing at TEX, Telluride

This challenge is altitude of the airport (9070') versus mountains all around at 12K to 14K feet. And because the airport is in a box-canyon, there is only one way in or out. Landing is onto 9, departing is off 27. However with the runway being 7,011' long and quite wide, even with a 6-10 crosswind from 030 I didn't see a problem in either the landing or the takeoff. A heavier wind day, yes the crosswind could certainly have been an issue!

Having said that, if in an under-powered or near under-powered aircraft a Go Around could be a problem because you'd be heading straight towards the end of the box canyon. But at least you should have some airspeed already, rather than starting from zero.

So to get there I took-off and did a T&G while departing Montrose Regional Airport, MTJ. Then a landing at the "top of the world" appearing Flying M&M Ranch airstrip, OC06. (That's one hell of an airstrip for a "Ranch"!! From there I proceeded to TEX with the intention of shooting a ILS Approach to Final onto 9 and Land using freq. 109.3 as published.

ILS 9 does work mostly as expected, except it puts you about 50 yards to the left the runway. So I had to do a Go Around and do a manual approach o stay on line.

1   Ready to roll on 17.jpg

2 Setting up to T&G on 17.jpg

3 Heading for the Notch.jpg

4 Leveling off at 10K.jpg

5 Notch ahead.jpg

6     In Sight.jpg

7 Final for T and G at.jpg

8  Duty Runway 9 in sight at Telluride.jpg

9 Gear Down for 9.jpg

10 Short Final to 9.jpg

11 Slowing down.jpg

12 Parked.jpg

Edited by Rupert
add info
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey Michael, nice challenge airport! Well played on the go around. The scenery looks great also!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In default Fsx, one of the missions is to land a Lear at Telluride.

I can see that! RW there are a lot more Lears and more expensive planes on site at TEX than Mooneys and such!! A Citation X would not even get noticed there. And all those planes have plenty of power to negotiate the mountains as well.

Michael

Michael, you might enjoy this video. "Premier 1 Driver" lands a bizjet on 27 at Telluride! Sorry it's so long, the whole flight from KEGE basically, but skip forward to about 32 min to see the approach/landing. Check out his channel if that sort of thing interests you, he does a lot of flying in and out of Colorado airports.

Jim

Michael, you might enjoy this video. "Premier 1 Driver" lands a bizjet on 27 at Telluride! Sorry it's so long, the whole flight from KEGE basically, but skip forward to about 32 min to see the approach/landing. Check out his channel if that sort of thing interests you, he does a lot of flying in and out of Colorado airports.

Jim

Thanks Jim! And yes, a "bizjet" is the norm at TEX. Even a King Air @appx. $1,700 per hour average operating cost is considered "small potatoes" there. :o

Michael

Lol! I know, I was doing some "fuel burn" stuff recently with the Citation XLS+ and the wheels started turning so I looked at the national average for jet fuel, did some quick math, and decided I'm really glad I'm just simulating! That's just the fuel! ...and if the weather doesn't cooperate and you have to take the alternate you just spent another $1500 and didn't end up where you were trying to go! I'm thinking all these expensive toys may be a little outta my league :)

Jim

Interesting approach for sure! Of course he was using the obligatory "pilot voice" :D

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Jim,

That $1,700 per hour cost is just AOPA estimated costs on a King Air for fuel and FAA required work only. It doesn't include any expenses related to purchase, unexpected repairs, insurance, pilots, navigation, parking or hanger fees, etc. :eek::eek:

Michael

Interesting approach for sure! Of course he was using the obligatory "pilot voice" :D

Thanks Jim & David,

I can see with a 10-15 knot tailwind, you'd want an alternate approach, even there. The box canyon end isn't that awful close, especially if you have power to spare and spoilers to stop with on roll out!!. Sad they didn't have a camera mounted to see out the left windshield or gauges!! Having someone voicing the checklist would have been nice too!

I might dial in his weather and see how it looks with my sim.

And yes I'm really glad to start watching at minute 32!!

Michael

Edited by Rupert

I was supposed to be a spoiled rich kid but my parents totally dropped the ball! :)

Thee and Me both brother!!

I just took off and shot a couple of landings onto 27 with one of those "cheap" King Airs. Remembering the comment about keeping the highway on the left for "noise abatement" during downwind and base made it pretty easy to get where I needed to be for final.

Having said that, a RW low hour pilot in a rental single engine Piper or so would probably not be at all comfortable landing on 27. Even in the sim the end of that box cabin looks pretty close. :eek::eek:

Thee and Me both brother!!

I just took off and shot a couple of landings onto 27 with one of those "cheap" King Airs. Remembering the comment about keeping the highway on the left for "noise abatement" during downwind and base made it pretty easy to get where I needed to be for final.

Lol!

It's been a year or so since I first watched that video and I actually attempted to reproduce that flight with the Carenado Premier 1 when I first saw it. It wasn't terrible but I got bit by the usual FS nemesis of misjudging where to turn final. To me it looks like even Premiere 1 driver didn't exactly nail it, it didn't look to me like his turn onto final was exactly 90°, but yeah, more cameras would have helped. He was complaining about something not working with his cameras, I couldn't understand what he was talking about.

Lol!

It's been a year or so since I first watched that video and I actually attempted to reproduce that flight with the Carenado Premier 1 when I first saw it. It wasn't terrible but I got bit by the usual FS nemesis of misjudging where to turn final. To me it looks like even Premiere 1 driver didn't exactly nail it, it didn't look to me like his turn onto final was exactly 90°, but yeah, more cameras would have helped. He was complaining about something not working with his cameras, I couldn't understand what he was talking about.

I couldn't see any gauges and he didn't have HUD but IMO it seemed he touched down pretty hot, especially with that much head wind!! His roll out didn't end until he was well into the landing marks on 9. If hadn't had spoilers to get stopped, I think he'd probably have had to go around.

I guess I'll shoot it again onto 27.