What are your thoughts on terrain mesh for V5?

dogdish

Couldn't wait for FS2020, so FINALLY got V5.

Was relieved that most of the ORBX FSX scenery I bought (several Regions I know contain their own mesh) are compatible or most likely will me updated.

I also have FS Global 2010 I got for FSX and found a thread at AVSIM here...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/573387-p3dv5-default-mesh-vs-fs-global-2010-mesh/

...where the poster has tried out the very same mesh.

Are you using a third party mesh or content with default P3D v5 mesh?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Couldn't wait for FS2020, so FINALLY got V5.

Was relieved that most of the ORBX FSX scenery I bought (several Regions I know contain their own mesh) are compatible or most likely will me updated.

I also have FS Global 2010 I got for FSX and found a thread at AVSIM here...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/573387-p3dv5-default-mesh-vs-fs-global-2010-mesh/

...where the poster has tried out the very same mesh.

Are you using a third party mesh or content with default P3D v5 mesh?

P3Dv5 mesh seems more than adequate.

It matches or exceeds the France VFR mesh in my experience, but can't tell you about anywhere else,

Thanks Mallcott

I didn't want to go nut$$$ on add-ons except for FSUIPC6 registered and definitely Traffic Global. Since all the Carenado aircraft I got for FSX will work, won't get any more aircraft.

Well...except for maybe a few more ORBX airports :pilot:

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Free Mesh X is lower resolution than much of V5...

Unless I'm missing something with the scenery files, I would have to disagree. The "demXXXX.bgl" files that store the P3DV5 default elevation mesh data, totals 3.27GB of data for the whole world. the complete FreeMeshX files covering the whole world have a total size of 46GB. The mesh in P3DV5 is definitely better than the mesh in FSX which was 1.27 GB in size, but nowhere as detailed as FreeMeshX. Not sure about P3DV1 to V4. Went from FSX to P3DV5.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott