Active runway - make up your mind

Rebrecs

If folks from the FSX development team hang it out here, I hope you get to see this. I would love to know what you were thinking.

From Home page of the initial menu, choose Free Flight --> Current Location. That gives you a chance to choose an airport. While choosing the airport you can also select Active Runway.

Now contact ground for departure clearance and ATC gives a different runway. OK, already sitting on what FSX decided was the Active. Now, surprise ! This does not happen every time, but why does it happen at all ?

Cant turn around and go back - there are planes sitting there.

Could cut across the grass, but NO!

Could roll on down the runway to the first taxiway, exit the runway and go to the other runway. *Note, while reasonable, there is no way to tell ATC you are about to do that. I suppose it would be like an aborted takeoff. ???

Here is my comment: If I choose Active Runway from the start menu, then I have my own reason for wanting to avoid a lengthy taxi, or any taxi. You gave me that choice, then effectively said "oh, we were just kidding, you are hosed !" Can you help me understand the point of that?

You're thinking of the ATC engine in FS as being a human. It's a portion of a very complex computer program which portion is (in human terms) very simple in its operation, and was developed on a limited budget in a limited time frame, thus there are limited command/response options available -- the programmers didn't have the time or money (or perhaps ability) to think of every possible situation.

What you describe may well be a bug that you'll just have to live with. It'll never get fixed, since the programming team is long gone and it's a program that is a decade and a half old.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Could also be that when choosing "Active Runway", it may be that is true under no wind conditions. Now add a weather program or just using "Customized" wind, etc, this changes things.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You chose "active runway" so fsx set your start location as the current active runway.

Then you set the weather differently, which changed what runway was active.

Choosing different weather does not change the location you chose to put the aircraft. The aircraft is still the same spot.

Fsx is a crude simulation of the real world as someone flying an aircraft sees it. Not very detailed houses as you see them from far away anyway. Not very detailed airport buildings, as those are not important in flight. More detailed taxiways as those need to work for taxi instructions. Runways with correct lighting and PAPI lights. Ils frequencies that work. And aircraft with workable gauges.

There's also traffic that gives you the feeling of not being alone out there, and that you need to avoid just as in real life. And Atc will give landing clearances which help you to land while avoiding the traffic that's landing as well.

I don't really understand why you find this stuff so difficult. Back when I started using fsx it took me 30 minutes of listening to ATC at an airport to figure out how those taxi, landing and takeoff instructions worked. Off course it's a game (/sim) so it can't be a real person in the tower. It must be an automated system. I quickly saw it was: instruction, follow it, when done next instruction comes after a while, then follow that. Simple.

Even though it's a somewhat crude simulation it's adequate and it works very well. In fsx when ATC tells you to hold short of a runway but you cross it anyway you will get hit by an aircraft that's taking off, just like you would get hit by a car in real life if you cross a street when the light is red.

In real life when on an IFR flightplan you have to be in contact with ATC all the time, and follow all instructions to the letter. Just as it is in FSX. Taking off from the proper runway is also essential. Take off from the wrong one and you get in the way of other traffic. (similar to driving the wrong way on the motorway/highway!).

Also important, flying the instructed heading and altitude. Those instructions are given to steer you out of the way of oncoming aircraft after all.

The biggest difference is that in the real world if you do not follow instructions you will quickly lose you pilots licence.

It's a crude simulation of the world in which you set yourself the chalenge of taking off and landing properly and safely. Just like a real world pilot would.

You can set yourself any chalenge you want. Make it easy and not use ATC. Switch off traffic completely. Do whatever.

Just as the world is not against you, neither is fsx. Fsx is just there. It's there for you to enjoy if you want.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then you set the weather differently, which changed what runway was active.

Hmmm... somehow I missed him changing the weather. Thrice. But I agree that a weather change could certainly do that.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Hmmm... somehow I missed him changing the weather. Thrice. But I agree that a weather change could certainly do that.

True, he hasn't mentioned what he is using for weather. I think, only, if you set the clear weather preset, are winds calm.

I was thinking he is using a weather program.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Okay Rebrecs - I will share with you something that I picked up on, that solved some of my own frustrations when first starting out with FSX! Start using ATIS in your flights, not only before you call ATC for takeoff clearance, but also for your landings.

I live in South Florida, but I use Charleston, SC KCHS, as my home base for all my flight activities. Why? It is a nice facility, central to a lot of different flight destinations etc. It could have been anywhere else, but that's the one I chose.

On starting FSX, I choose the airport, the aircraft, the time, and the weather (usually stays on fair weather conditions), AND the runway which more often than not, my predominant runway there is 33.

FSX plants my aircraft on RWY 33, and I call up and listen to what ATIS says. If I do it in this order, ATC will more than likely tell me the active runway for departures and landings is 33. Okay, once that has been determined, I call ground control, and they tell me to taxi and hold just short of RWY 33, can't do that, FSX just planted me on RWY 33, but that's okay. I do all my checks before takeoff, I then call the tower for clearance for takeoff, and I'm cleared for takeoff runway 33! MIND YOU, had I not called ATIS, ATC could very well have given me RWY 3, which has happened many times, and I knew why, I hadn't listened to ATIS. RWY 3 is on the total opposite side of the airport and is a long way to taxi to. When this happens, I click on the "restart" flight and NOW, I make sure to listen to ATIS to get my RWY 33 that is where I am sitting.

Same with approaching your destination airports. I have the VOR set to the ILS frequency and have all my markers activated on my COMM1. Once I start receiving the airport's identifier code. I pull up the "nearest airport" listing on the ATC page, and find my destination airport. When I am close enough, I call up ATIS and that will give me the active runway in use. If I have my VOR set for RWY 33, and I am approaching from an area (say from the NE or from the SE) that would make sense for ATC to assume (I will use that word loosely) that I want to land RWY 33. As long as I have called up ATIS and listened to it, I feel very confident that I will get the runway (in my case, the runway of my choice) as planned!

Use ATIS, it will help more often than not! You are just starting out and have many high expectations of what FSX can provide for you. The program was developed years ago and like many have said, it was a low cost program, but hey, they made it work for me and many others! You will pick up tips here and there to ease some of the pain you have in the way the program works, but, it is far from being perfect! Give this a try and just start flying the program and learn things as you go. There are "work arounds" and there are just some things that can't be changed! It is what it is!:rolleyes:

Good luck and happy flying!

Rick :cool:

If folks from the FSX development team hang it out here, I hope you get to see this. I would love to know what you were thinking.

From Home page of the initial menu, choose Free Flight --> Current Location. That gives you a chance to choose an airport. While choosing the airport you can also select Active Runway.

Now contact ground for departure clearance and ATC gives a different runway. OK, already sitting on what FSX decided was the Active. Now, surprise ! This does not happen every time, but why does it happen at all ?

Cant turn around and go back - there are planes sitting there.

Could cut across the grass, but NO!

Could roll on down the runway to the first taxiway, exit the runway and go to the other runway. *Note, while reasonable, there is no way to tell ATC you are about to do that. I suppose it would be like an aborted takeoff. ???

Here is my comment: If I choose Active Runway from the start menu, then I have my own reason for wanting to avoid a lengthy taxi, or any taxi. You gave me that choice, then effectively said "oh, we were just kidding, you are hosed !" Can you help me understand the point of that?

It's FSX and fourteen years past it's sell-by date. It won't be fixed.

It's FSX and fourteen years past it's sell-by date. It won't be fixed.

That is the "bottom line" BUT, will he accept that? I don't think so, this will be an on-going Saga, for sure! Maybe he will move on to FS2020?:rolleyes:

Thanks mallcott!

Rick :cool::cool:

Starting on a runway is for gamers.

Simmers start at a gate or a parking.

Wim

Yep, I guess I am a gamer then. Back in the 60's, my RW flight instructor said I was very good at taxiing, that I had that down pat and the FAA designee that signed me off for my PPL apparently didn't mention that I needed practice in that area, so off to the runway I go!

I also, sometimes select 2X computer speed to speed up the process, so, I guess that is cheating also which might also qualify me as a gamer!

Give yourself a STAR, Wim, you apparently are qualified to be a simmer!:rolleyes:

Starting on a runway is for gamers.

Simmers start at a gate or a parking.

Wim

Hmmm... Is it only a binary choice? Does that make me a gamer? Or maybe it's just that I've seen so much parking-to-taxi-to-runup in the real world that my impatience to fly lets me start on the runway, since I don't feel the need to pretend to be a real pilot. Motives (and most of the rest of life, too) are seldom that black-and-white, but tend to very a LOT, depending on the individual, and even on the circumstances.

Is it gaming when someone sets up a practice IFR session and starts in the air so they can practice the same approaches over and over, or switch in flight to new ones?

Don't be so narrow minded, or to classify someone you don't know just because of your prejudice.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

You're welcome, Rick. It's getting old finding people on here that feel it's their way or no way.

We all have different interests, different backgrounds and different uses for the sims, but there's room for all. We don't have to all be just alike, yet we can all agree that aviation is attractive to us, just as in the real world of flying there are folks who want nothing but an ultralite, some who want most jets or warbirds, some who want Cubs and Stearmans, and some who want to sample a wide range of experiences, ALL of which are perfectly valid.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks Larry! I had to give up flying real world years ago due to health issues, AND, the cost of flying, but FSX has given me a alternative way of fulfilling my love for flight! I use the program as a Sim, and when someone infers that what I do, makes me a Gamer, I don't lose any sleep over it! I try to help those who struggle along the way, it's not the real thing, but very close to it. 54 years I've held my ticket, and I, like you and many others, have learned a lot over the years! I wished my kids would have taken an interest in it, my son got almost thru solo flight, but quickly gave it up, as he found better places to spend his money! His choice. So when I see those on here that always wanted to, never did, but now they have the chance to do it another way (a less expensive way and able to do it from the comfort of your own home), I'm here if they need the help!

All these discussions, is FSX a game or a sim? Who cares, it works for me as a sim! For those who use it as a game, I hope you find entertainment in it also! It definitely should not be a "Sounding Board" for those who take great pleasure in making the negative comments they do. I just let the comments roll off, so to speak, but if I didn't say something, it just may happen again to someone else who might be easily offended! I'm 72 years old and this skin has gotten very tough over the years and there's not a whole lot I haven't heard, and you damn sure aren't going get to me either!

Larry, thanks for your comments! It's nice knowing I am not the only one walking this journey! Have a nice evening and be safe out there!

Edited by Downwind66

You're thinking of the ATC engine in FS as being a human. It's a portion of a very complex computer program which portion is (in human terms) very simple in its operation, and was developed on a limited budget in a limited time frame, thus there are limited command/response options available -- the programmers didn't have the time or money (or perhaps ability) to think of every possible situation.

What you describe may well be a bug that you'll just have to live with. It'll never get fixed, since the programming team is long gone and it's a program that is a decade and a half old.

Good input, thank you.

You are correct of course - I'm falling down in my "situational awareness." :-)

I'm learning !!!

Take it as it is and keep moving. It is after all, a game.