P3D Submarine

Well,

I found the P3d sub wouldn't fly some time back. But I wondered how well it performed in the sea. I figured YRC was a nice little secure sea plane landing base so I selected the sub as my vehicle and YRC as my airport.

See my results below.

This is Sub1

sub1.jpg

Sub2

sub1.jpg

"Cockpit view"

sub cockpit view.jpg

And no, none of the controls, keys etc. I tried worked in any way. This is obviously a way to claim another in advertising. The soldier and the rifle also don't do anything either.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Okay, so I tested the sub, and it works as well, though it's not exactly good. I gave it full throttle and used the rudder controls to steer it. Both of those work just fine.

Remember for the people, you have to use different controls. WASD which are usually used for controlling the characters in shooter games, etc.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Okay, so I tested the sub, and it works as well, though it's not exactly good. I gave it full throttle and used the rudder controls to steer it. Both of those work just fine.

Remember for the people, you have to use different controls. WASD which are usually used for controlling the characters in shooter games, etc.

Yes,

Since I have some ORBX scenery, they provide a freeware call Bob. Which is basically like an auto which is about the size of a small aircraft. You steer it with the wheel or stick and it stops and goes based upon throttle and brake.

I thought something like that would work with the sub as well but I was never able to get it to move at all. I even tried Crtl E and SHFT E to start the engine but all I've found it will do is bob up and down with the waves coming in.

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I was hoping it would at least move and perhaps dive! Could you make it dive? Does WASD mean those keys or what? I've never tried a shooter game.

Yes, W to walk forward, S back, A and D turn left and right. R to run and there's something to jump, but I forget it off the top of my head, not in front of my P3D couter right now.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I'm ashamed to admit I know the avatar controls but "CTRL+SHIFT+E" puts you in avatar mode, "CTRL+SHIFT+E" again takes you back out again but you have to be close to the aircraft or you can't get out. "Jump" is "F", "C" is "crouch", and "R" is "run". I use the stick, down elevator makes him go forward, left aileron makes him turn to the left, right aileron makes him turn right, up elevator makes him do an about face heading the opposite direction. Rudder left or right moves the camera around him so try to use aileron and elevator without touching the rudder for best results. When you hit "R" for "run" he'll go a lot faster but IIRC there's no "slow", he's either running full steam ahead or he's standing still. You can use "Jump" and "Crouch" while he's running or walking, he can jump over stuff, crouching while running looks creepy as hell. Press "R" again and he'll return to walking speed, you'll have much more precise control.

I like to make him walk up to one of the Orbx PeopleFlow ladies and "jump" trying to get her attention. He looks ridiculous. I LMAO. She couldn't care less, she's completely unimpressed, thinks he's just another clown trying to win her affection. Seems very realistic to me, lol.

Jim,

As a former Marine Aviator who thought my ribbons and badges would impress a woman, I have to agree!! I was there and tried that!! Then I went home alone!!:o:o

Actually I just thought of something related to the submarine. The water at YRC may be too shallow for the sub to float or move. Would they program that in?

I'll go back and put the sub someplace where the water is much deeper and see how, if, it reacts.

I think for the sub to work you have to enable bathymetry which is under Graphics > World. I'm not sure how you "fly" it though but at least that lets you go under water.

EDIT: and I think you have to be in an area where bathymetry is available, I just tried it off the coast of Washington and I was able to go under water but it looked horrible. I was sort of able to control it with throttle and rudder but I couldn't make it do much. There's probably something in the learning center about it but I hate reading, lol.

Edited by Jim Robinson

I think for the sub to work you have to enable bathymetry which is under Graphics > World. I'm not sure how you "fly" it though but at least that lets you go under water.

EDIT: and I think you have to be in an area where bathymetry is available, I just tried it off the coast of Washington and I was able to go under water but it looked horrible. I was sort of able to control it with throttle and rudder but I couldn't make it do much. There's probably something in the learning center about it but I hate reading, lol.

OK, I just placed my submarine in the waters near San Francisco. This obviously made the water deep enough for a major ship to float and go way underwater!

This ship responded to the helm and actually made over 100 knots before I noticed how fast it was going. but I still wasn't able to go underwater which is exactly what subs were designed to do.

I revert back to my original assumption. A submarine like a troop in uniform or a rifle has nothing to do with the product they are selling, it makes that offered product seem to be more complete!

World wide tonight there are tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of people betting that FS2020 is worth their money. Having known several people who bought a Vega and thought it was the new go to, be in vehicle. I'll keep my credit card out of use for a few weeks until I feel 2020 is hopefully not the new Vega, but actually is the new Mazda Miata!

Michael

Jan will figure it out for you Michael. He spends most of his time there anyway. ;)

I agree! Having said that, other than when he jumped on for a comments weeks ago, I haven't from that old fart lately! Since he hasn't re-claimed it, I've been playing with his King Air around Palm Springs.

ORBX shows it exactly how I remembered it from flying there in the 60's. Nothing but desolation and sand until you get to the irrigation on the golf courses and hotels!

Is it me, or does it seem like he has an extraordinary amount of computer problems than the average person. :D

Average person??!! I was talking about Jan! ;)