FS2020 scenery issues

When you say it looks "terrible" can you be more specific? Missing building trees, fuzzy textures, etc.? The sim will default to "offline" if it detects and issue with the internet connection. Do you happen to know the speed of your connection? Another thing to keep in mind is that if the "airport" is not a detailed one from the list it will appear more "generic" with fewer building and details and be more of a general representation.

By "terrible" I mean it looks nothing like the photos and videos of the same scenery I've seen posted online.

I'm referring to Toronto and Montreal specifically. TO is a major city and looked great in all the pre-sale videos. Montreal is bare but I suspect that is being addressed as there are many airports unfinished.

I run an I7-9700K @3.60

16GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Internet connection is 317mb download average.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to attach a photo.

Nothing wrong with your system (although 32Gb of ram might be a good idea sometime)

You’ve got a very fast internet connection! Make sure the online settings are all on.

Go into Options, General, Data... check online functionality, bing maps etc

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

There is a youtube video by ObsidianAnt that describes caching. There is a way to "cache" certain areas and you can select the level of detail. This will permanently download those areas to your system and reduce the "constant" stream. He claims it looks and perhaps performs better doing this. I suspect they may have done this for the videos and it sorta makes sense that performance might improve as that is on less thing the PC is doing. Not that you want to do this for large areas...but if you are going to frequent your "home town" where you will recognize all of the landmarks it might be a good idea.

Cache has little to do because his system is top of range and fast internet

Make sure all the antialising and graphic settings are really Ultra as you say

Check your monitor resolution

check nvidia drivers if up to date

And once sorted out which you will tell us what was it

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Thanks guys!

I spent 3 hours flying high density areas last night - NY, L.A., and with sliders between high and ultra, the sim was solid. I didn't stutter once and everything was loading smoothly.

I think it might be something totally simple, I'll keep poking around. Landing on the beach near los Angeles, I noticed all the buildings were deformed, like they had been bombed. lol I have screen caps but haven't been able to upload one. As soon as I can, I will.

Focusing on the positive - I have hundreds of real world hours in some of these planes and I can say the Cessna 152 flies amazingly well. Very accurate in most ways. To be able to hand fly a default simulator a/c often letting go of the yoke and having it stay stable, is an amazing thing.

I don't understand people who have given up on this already. It's a great product albeit still buggy. Just my opinion.

More to come.

Delta

I see...

I can only assume a reason

that deformed buildings are irregular and from a distance they look different from one another, more real world like, instead of clean cubes.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

That IS an interesting thought. I wonder.

I'm actually enjoying this sim a lot but I suspect that as soon as the high quality third party aircraft start flying, the frames are going to tank. Out of the gate this is the quickest FS Micro$oft has done though.

And after having a great time in the C152 I am now trying to assign separate engines to separate CH throttles and configure thrust reversers. As usual, MSoft has made this stupid difficult (XPlane 11 was up and running perfectly in one evening). The assignments are basic and arcade like. Like in XP11, every type of aircraft should have its own 'profile' so that one can set up single engine/multi/jets etc. Unless I'm missing something, you can't do that with FS2020.

If I'm a complete idiot and this is all possible, please someone let me know. And don't go easy on me. lol

Delta

And after having a great time in the C152 I am now trying to assign separate engines to separate CH throttles and configure thrust reversers. As usual, MSoft has made this stupid difficult (XPlane 11 was up and running perfectly in one evening). The assignments are basic and arcade like. Like in XP11, every type of aircraft should have its own 'profile' so that one can set up single engine/multi/jets etc. Unless I'm missing something, you can't do that with FS2020.

If I'm a complete idiot and this is all possible, please someone let me know. And don't go easy on me. lol

Delta

You can indeed create multiple profiles. See the guide below on how to do so.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-use-the-interface-to-configure-your-controllers/183095

loki, thank you for this post! I'm going to try all this out this evening but I do want to say one thing: REALLY?! How was this made so complicated? XP11 saw my controller, saw the buttons, asked what I wanted to do with them. Why is it that every time MS is involved, you have to jump through flaming hoops on one leg while juggling chainsaws? lol I swear it was almost easier to learn to fly in the real world than it is to set up a 'sim'.

But again, thank you!

D

I took an early morning (6am) hop from Toronto Island (CYTZ) over to Trenton Ont. (CYTR) in the King Air 350 today... It was an awesome short flight! Didn't hurt that I buttered the landing too :cool:

Real world weather & that gorgeous sunrise... Just WoW!

How does your Toronto scenery look?

How does your Toronto scenery look?

Quite Good overall, though I think the CN Tower could use a little cleaning up - considering it's an iconic landmark.

I even managed to find my condo building in North Scarborough - though for some strange reason both it and its sister building are modeled too short, yet the apartment next to me is modeled to the correct height and pretty much has the exact correct colour & textures.

Any reason why control towers are wrong? Jetways run through aircraft? Taxiway lights in the middle of taxiways? Smaller airports sunk into the ground? Bad install? Thanks for any tips

have not seen that yet, pls give the icao codes of those airports.

i find the scenery quite outstanding, smaller airports also welldone.

muc much improved ofer fxs overall, ofcourse there are anomalies, liek the sunken ships in harbours, haha

I was flying offline for the first couple days. Didn't realize it at the time but saw that the scenery didn't look as good as it should. Finally flew down around Long Beach, Ca and noticed the Queen Mary wasn't there. That was the dead give away that something wasn't right. I had all the settings maxed out and still no Queen Mary. Then i learned about getting on line with the bing maps. As soon as I turned those settings on it made a huge change in the scenery! Queen Mary was now present along with a ton of other things!

• 1 month later...

A) It stays in the air at 37 knots? Vectored thrust? :-)

B) I have the same problem. The CN Tower (some big stick in Toronto) was just a dark cylinder regardless of how often I didn't hit it. Manual cache solved that, but it never loaded by itself. I assume that these issues are slowly being fixed. The famous Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland is completely missing.

C) I too fly the Cessna 152 because it is the slowest thing around for sightseeing. The FS X 2014 version had helicopters which are great for popping in and out of places. Rotary wing will eventually be added, it better be.

Let's see if this worked

(pic of 152 hanging in the air)