Straw poll: will you ever go back to FSX/P3D/X-Plane now?

Or on the contrary, will you be asking MS for a refund on FS2020?

For me, the scenery is the killer, doing a lot of low level flying I can't go back to x-plane now. Also these competitive landing challenges

are very addictive.

I might occasionally dip back into FSX or X-Plane to fly my PMDG purchases, but 90% of the time it's going to be FS2020.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Of course not going back

And I am not worried about the lack of planes. I will take this time to learn FMC (where i am very weak) and other features and tweaks of the game. By the time i finish that learning curve that will take a couple of months all the addon planes will start to arrive.

Its always the same. A new version of flightsim is released and floods of complaints of “i-dont-know-how-to-do-it” dominate forums for the first two years. Its a hobby, if you are going to master it stick around, take your time, its not a “start-shoot-play-game over” kind of app

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I won't be going back to FSX or FS2004 now. THIS is the sim I've been waiting for, with all the features I like built-in already. It may be some time before I feel the need for a must-have add on.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I won’t be going back either.

While I type this (on the iPad) I am currently sat next to the runway at Leeds Bradford (Orbx addon) watching other players landing etc. I can hear & see the rain hitting my canopy. So realistic. I could actually be there! :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

That depends. I enjoy this hobby for three basic reasons, and not necessarily in priority order. First I like to enjoy the scenery, go to places I will never visit and get a feel for the geography and geology of the area. I once gave a 15 minute talk on the geology around the globe with slides from FSX, you can see some things like major glacial features or volcanoes or really big faults. The new sim takes that to an entirely different level. Not only can you see the forest, but you can see where it goes from deciduous to coniferous. You can see land use, I can actually see particular fields where I was a child, and identify farming practices in use there. I can even fly over the cemetery where my parents are buried, and not only see the trails around, but i would be able to get within a few feet of the correct gravesite. I showed my wife yesterday, the interstate exchange which would exit to the road to her hometown. Not only is the exchange modeled correctly, key buildings are there, and a bridge across the Platte River is right where it should be. This is in very rural Nebraska. On a flight from Brookings, SD to Alexandria, MN, I can see subtle glacial features never there in previous sims, quite amazing! Now the second thing, is actually experiencing the flight characteristics of different aircraft, and flying known routes. Most of that would be done with more regional equipment, which isn't in the sim yet. I can use the Longitude as a proxy for an ERJ135, but the AI sends it to GA instead of a small gate. Speaking of which, the AI is atrocious! It has crashed about half the flights i have used it on, doing ridiculous things. And if you let it fly the A320, it will intentionally overspeed way beyond the planes capability, but the ENTIRE time it is yelling at you "OVERSPEED". I can go in and set the autopilot to Mach 0.76, but it ignores that and is doing Mach 0.853. On another flight from the Balkans to Sweden, it flew almost 300 miles at 8,500 feet. I would take it up to the correct altitude, and it would slam it back down to 8,500 feet again in a 6,000 ft./min dive. The ATC sent my Longitude to 4,000 feet above its service ceiling. It stalls anyway way below that spec ceiling, so ATC is yelling at me to do something I am 6,000 feet away from possibly executing! There are no ERJ170 or ERJ175s, no 737-500s or 737-700s, no Dash 8-200s. These are the kind of planes i fly, because only those aircraft can go into the airports i fly a lot, except KMCI. Even then, I took the A320 up to a more realistic weight loading, still 15,000 pounds under max take off weight, and it still used up not only all 10,800 feet of runway, but 150 feet of apron, and a bit of grass to get airborne. Try flying the A320 at 500 pounds under MTO weight, just try it. The small planes are not that bad and I like the Diamond 62, but all the airliners and jets have extremely incorrect mach drag modeling. You no longer have the mach drag in the .air file, but it is now in some as yet poorly defined abstract table in the aircraft.cfg as best I can tell. Which leads me to the third thing, I am a tinkerer, a scientist and engineer in real life. I really enjoy playing with the mathematical modeling more than the flying itself. In other iterations of FS, you could still adjust known parameters, even if they were in a different file or format. It will be quite a learning curve to understand the new tables and parameters and how to edit them properly. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Sir, Asobo concentrated their flight model accuracy in the Cessna 152 and perhaps another one that i havent tried. The rest is just to fill up the library and show the potential.

They succeeded. The Cessna 152 is perfectly accurately.

Did you notice 80% of knobs in Airbus and 747 are INOP

They are working, they are only INOP because were not mapped to the FDE and panel

Thats for third parties

Asobo is not a main role player in the sim.

Their job was to prepare the model structure and make some default.

The real players are the ones involved with a live planet. The ones owned or controlled by the owner Microsoft.

Bing, Cortana (or alternative text to speech) and Meteoblue

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I agree, the 152 and the SuperCub seem very close. The King Air may not be that bad, but it will take a while to wrap my old head around that new panel! I use the the Cap 10 and VL-3 in AI to take a lot of photos, because those fly low and slow, but they are both bears to fly by hand!! Is the real VL-3 that hard to fly??
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Greetings,

P3D: I will still use it most of the time.

FSX and X-Plane have been removed.

It is great to have so many choices. Like FSX was, it will be fun to watch how MSFS develops. I purchase my flight simulators the way I buy ski boots; I select for fit and function, not the brand.

Best regards,

Beau

No, I did a complete reinstall of OS before purchasing MS2020 and PREPAR3D and X-PLANE are no longer installed along with PMDG.

Once PMDG comes in FS2020 it will be golden.

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

I will be keeping FSX around until I can get a CRJ700 for MSFS.

Just in the process of downloading right now. I waited til today so I have the weekend to become familiar with the new Sim.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Definitely keeping X-Plane.

MSFS has the eye candy, but XP flight models are the best.

Interesting to compare the G1000 in both. MSFS doesn't have VNav and XP doesn't have synthetic vision or ability to display v speed refs on the speed tape. (Those are items I'd like each to fix.)

Today was the first since launch that MSFS hasn't crashed. (Even got a BSOD once.)

I've taken to starting MSFS, letting it update, then quitting and rebooting the PC, then launching MSFS for real.

My 0.02$, YMMV.

Pangs of sadness, amid the joy.

FSX with all those addons, I'll unlikely use again.

X-Plane 11, though, is live and well.

I hope one worry I have is unfounded - that MS will concentrate all 3rd party sales within the in-game marketplace.

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

after a few flights on FS2020 maybe I'll still sometimes use Prepar3d v5 for vintage planes while waiting to find them on FS2020 .. but certainly certainly never FSX (rest in peace after good and loyal services during years) nor X- plane11 nor FS2

I will contine to ues both FSX and MSFS. Now that I have a great PC I'll take a new look at XP-11. I love flying, goinbg places Ive been or would like to go but prob won't get the chance. I love the long hauls as well as low and slow. FSX is great for the long high flyers, and from all I see MSFS is boss for the low and slow. (also trying to learn a new sim takes a bit of trial and error).

I always kept my old sims (disk space is so cheep today) because of when I get retro feelings I can start them anytime. But I'm sure I will use MSFS2020 98% of the time. After the first five days I'm so impressed with it and we are just at the beginning. How would it be in three years when the first bugs are all cleared !?!

FSX never worked well for me, despite having hardware that far exceeds the recommended specs from MS. But I've kept FS9 on all my computers because I've got incredible frame rates with it, excellent flying. I've got X-Plane 11 but I've never enjoyed it because it's a bit too realistic for a casual flight-simmer like me. Even at its easiest it was never as easy to fly as FS9 or FSX. But with FS2020, it's flying great on both my desktop (really high graphics settings) and on my notebook (using the suggested settings that MS set up when it installed), so I will be removing Xplane now and only flying FS2020. Eye-candy, that's my delight! And whatever IFR flying I can manage to accomplish, great. But daytime flying anywhere in the world with these graphics -- I'm in heaven!

Well, after such hopes, it will be difficult not to use it to its full specs, but, but, this so crisp landscape is so full of errors, rivers with bends banking like a speedway, bridges only receiving amphibian cars( even in a important town like Paris or London) Look at the place were a castle is suppose to be : a house or building instead. And I speak of their ultra quality. Is really Bing maps that wrong? Only the accuracy of positioning the items , villages, cities, roads,railways, etc.which makes it more VFR flyable than the other Sims, that's why I will wait and hope they correct and update. But, all in all, that is not the breathtaking results we were waiting for, and tht they trumpeted for so long. Huge work from Asobo, but finally a Microsoft product...

Or on the contrary, will you be asking MS for a refund on FS2020?

For me, the scenery is the killer, doing a lot of low level flying I can't go back to x-plane now. Also these competitive landing challenges

are very addictive.

I might occasionally dip back into FSX or X-Plane to fly my PMDG purchases, but 90% of the time it's going to be FS2020.

Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses, so I'm going to have to be greedy and keep them all :D:pilot::D

Cheers

Dominic

This is oddly familiar stuff. Played every single iteration religiously since MSFS 3.0.

Y’all recall the bugs and glitches circa 2006, after FSX came out? How about all them patches for stutters, the famous blurries, time tweaking .cfg files... Spent hundreds of hours (and many more dollars) to bring that sim to a respectable state, loads of 3rd party scenery, textures, aircraft, and misc. Served me well and still gives me giggles every time I load up a busy airport like KATL or EGLL, pull real-time weather, etc.

Then MSFS 2020 blew the doors open. My jaw is still somewhere on the ground with the visuals. it’s just next level.

Seriously, it’s only been 4-5days, and remember this is basically a default sim. You can tell they have learned from past issues and yes AP features and flight modeling besides the Cessna 152 pretty much junk. But just think of the potential when say PMDG and Fly Tampa start rolling out their goodies, or in 12 months (or couple years) everything gets sorted out with AI/ATC, and 3rd party software with FSUIPC integration. Like it always does.

So yeah, going back to FSX for maybe a little while longer but it will soon be sayonara!