Hello Team,

im very new to flying in general. I did all the of the lessons and go on quite well but I have some questions

If there are open threads or somewhere i can go do some reading please point me.

I wanted to upgrade to the Cessna 175 (G1000) so i could learn how to use the G1000 and use some autopilot.

I signed up and used simbrief to get a flight plan. Just a short hop round my local Lydd to Biggin Hill. It gave me a lovely route up round Dover. Loaded it up and im sat in GA prepping the plan using the checklists.

Now my understand is that the flight plan is already loaded in and I can see the first waypoint ready to go.

My issue is i am not sure how to use the AP. I spent 2hrs watching vids and reading this morning, got her up in the air, swung it around and aimed for that good ol' pink line. once up to ALT I hit AP and the plane shanked left widely and headed for the ground.

Got rid of AP, straightened her up and had a little look see. then did it again.

I am assuming this is massively wrong.

Everytime i go near AP it spins and dives. I did briefly use it yesterday to just fly straight and level and it worked so....where am i going wrong?

Anyone with a smidge of time to give me some tips or point me in the right direction would be ace.

ALSO, newb question; where do you obtain one of them airport diagrams that shows all the details of approach etc.

Many thanks and apologies for the long post.

WK

First of all, before you turn your A/P on, make sure your correct altitude is set in A/P. Then set your Nav/GPS switch to GPS. This will tell the A/P to follow the GPS route. If the switch is in NAV it's going to follow whatever heading is currently set. This would make the plane turn hard to get to that heading. If you haven't set your altitude, It's going to dive to zero altitude. I hope this helps.

This was super helpful thank you.

Do you have any tips for sorting out an ILS app. I can find the runway however when i hit "load" which i assume gets it into the system. it throws my AP all over the shop and literally sent me back to the previous way point.

Everything else worked like a charm though so super thanks!

For the ils approach ...

On the G1000 press the soft button under the CDI until nav1 is showing.

Tune nav 1 to the ils frequency.

(You can google "Gatwick ils frequency " to find it, or use the G1000 but i can't remember which page it is on if Asobo have modelled it.

Tune the CRS knob on the autopilot to the runway heading and make sure FD is pressed.

Approach the runway heading from a 30 degree angle until you see the needle on the CDI move, then press the APP button on the autopilot.

I think I've remembered it all from here on my sofa! LOL

I'm sure someone will chip in if not. [emoji4]

Btw Lydd is my local airport too, I live in Bexhill.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Where I find the AP is coming unstuck on the GA stuff is trying to change altitude.

You can change the desired altitude with the dial but when you switch off altitude hold there is no means (I can see) to dial in the desired vertical speed despite there being a VS button. So you hand fly to the desired altitude, hit Alt again (correct value on the CDU) at which point the plane nosedives into the ground.

Vern.

On the G1000 autopilot panel there's a VS button in the lower left column of buttons. The bottom two buttons in the right column are Increase and Decrease VS buttons. Each click equals 100fpm up or down (increase or decrease). I dial in the required Alt, then click VS, then click the increase or decrease button 6 or 7 times.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hehe! You're welcome Vern. The beauty of the G1000 system is that once you've mastered it, you can fly any other plane that has it - which is most of them in MSFS - get in there!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Little things, starting to come together.

The joystick sensitivity fix.

Finding RMB moves the view around.

Better understanding of the AP.

Still a long road ahead but we have already come a fair way in two days and the negativity I was starting to feel has mitigated somewhat. Still needs some more input from Asobo and MS to fix the glaring stuff like jet physics and get a manual/documentation sorted along with advanced tutorials etc. But it's definitely looking up.

Vern.

Thanks Team!

After many hours of diving out the sky above my home county (im a pro a getting out of a spin, every cloud n all that), i have finally become a semi pro at ALT changing with VS and following NAV and HDG with the G1000. Today it’s ILS app training. Cannot figure this one out. I cannot figure out how to load it up ready, without it immediately taking over my current NAV and messing my flight up. So maybe you can’t?

To be honest I’m loving bringing it in manually, it’s fun but wana practice ILS as well.

ALSO my flightplan to Biggin Hill from Lydd got weird outside Biggin Hill. The ATC sent me way out across the sea and then told me to bugger off so I swung it back round to Manston instead. Its still fun :)

I’m loving it though. I really wana fly the Kingair. Thats my goal. I tried but too powerful at the moment. I’ll stick with my C175 ;)

Tighten the seatbelts.

I think to some extent we got comfortable with the "Acme" AP of all the previous FS versions, at least on the non-study level stuff! I remember the first time I loaded up the Captain Sim 707 and stared, pretty much terrified, at the clunky old steam heat analogue AP.

In that respect the GA aircraft in FS20 give us something more realistic and shocks us into actually thinking and learning about how to make it work.

Of course, a manual and tutorial would have helped but, hey ho...

Vern.