What to purchase download or boxed version

Firstly I live where I can order online the boxed version of MSFS2020.

After reading of so many people having problems downloading and not just the time it takes but also stopping and having to restart I wonder if I should purchase the boxed version.

I know that there is a downside to the boxed version and that is disk 1 needs to be in the (DVD) drive to operate MSFS2020 but are there any other reasons why one version might be better than the other? One downside of the download version would be that if you get another PC or another drive to use (unlikely) the download would need to be done again (unless it can be copied/backed up).

Are there any readers who purchased the boxed version and can advise if they have experienced any problems?

I have cable internet with an average download speed of around 45Mbps which I know is also at the 'mercy' of the download server speed especially if heaps of others are trying to download at the same time but at 45Mbps it should take nearly 5 hours so I expect it would take longer than this.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Hi I got the boxed version so i had an option to sell it lmao not a pessimist but not good at flight simulators either Anyway i recommend the boxed version it installs very easy no problems at all it does take time About 1 to 2hrs for me and you need to have Disk 1 in the drive when playing but i dont think it gets accessed much. There is a nice book along with a handbook and a keyboard layout included.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that you had no problems.

I understand that the boxed edition comes with a user manual.

Is the manual any good?

I guess it is small to fit with a DVD case. What of the printing, is that small to read?

How many pages? Is it a throwaway item or worth having?

Thanks

John

Thanks never thought of that maybe because it didn't seem very exciting (compared to say unboxing some hardware/gear).

It DID reveal that the Premium edition comes with TWO manuals, one a hard cover (Premium Deluxe Guide) and the other a soft cover (Manual) which begs the question what does the 'Premium Deluxe Guide' have in it.

Unless I can find a downloadable guide I think I will go for the boxed version just to get the manual.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I live in Melbourne and purchased the Premium Deluxe Box set as where I live, we are still on ADSL and downloading would have been too painful and long.

To be honest, I did not run into any problems installing the 10 discs. But it did take a while. Then had to download the update which took forever (because of ADSL).

In the box were:

1: The 10 disc set

2: Flight Simulator Handbook (68 pages) - With sections for system requirements, installation, tabs inside the sim, Basics of Flying, different Activities to do and details about each aircraft.

3: Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe Guide (Hard Cover) - 76 pages - Gives you details of the Premium Deluxe Aircraft and Airports and Activation instructions.

4:Fold out of - Essential Keyboard Shortcuts

I hope this helps you.

I don't under stand why they didn't put it on 1 or 2 usb sticks with a serial number would have been much better.....i logged in paid for the deluxe sim and never got a download button. I had to ask for a refund and got it but still going to get it when i figure it out

Hi,

In the box were:

I hope this helps you.

Thanks. That certainly helps especially describing what is in the manuals.

Thanks also for advising that installation using disks was without problems.

I am still trying to decide when I will purchase and will almost certainly purchase disks rather than a download as I have read too many posts/threads from people who have had problems with downloading. Sure there are also information how to get around any problems but I just don't want to have any possible problems.

Regarding usb sticks. Not sure if I can remember any software being distributed on usb sticks. Also is possible to accidentally erase the contents of usb sticks BUT they certainly may result in a faster installation, and ceratainly less media swaps (1 instead of 9)

John

Thanks. That certainly helps especially describing what is in the manuals.

Thanks also for advising that installation using disks was without problems.

I am still trying to decide when I will purchase and will almost certainly purchase disks rather than a download as I have read too many posts/threads from people who have had problems with downloading. Sure there are also information how to get around any problems but I just don't want to have any possible problems.

Regarding usb sticks. Not sure if I can remember any software being distributed on usb sticks. Also is possible to accidentally erase the contents of usb sticks BUT they certainly may result in a faster installation, and ceratainly less media swaps (1 instead of 9)

Keep in mind that while the discs may help with the initial install, and some people did have issues with the disc install too, you are still going to have to download any updates that come out, which may be quite large.

While not as common, mostly do to the shift to digital distribution, USB sticks are used for software. They can be protected as well to prevent someone deleting the contents too. In fact, you can buy Windows 10 itself on a USB stick in place of the digital download. I suspect someone at Microsoft was looking at things like their own data regarding what hardware people have in their PCs, as well as the number of people going for digital purchases, and decided that the costs of selling physical media weren't worth it. Even more so for a program where one of the flagship features is online streaming.

Thanks Loki,

You have just thrown another 'spanner into the works' for me, maybe I need to go for the download and 'hope for the best'.

Regarding updates, does the latest download version contain the released updates or do they have to be downloaded separately? Surely is does as I hate to think how long installation will take in the future when there might be multiple updates each needing a separate lengthy download.

My FSX came on (only) two DVDs and even that took some time to install depending on what areas of the world you wanted scenery for installed PLUS (separate) SP2 PLUS (separate) SP2. I don't have the internet connection 'problem' the the Undertaker has (ADSL - wow I feel sorry for him as all of Australia was supposed to be on NBN cable by the end of this year) where a download would be be feasible.

The 'penny just dropped' as to your registered location (getting warmer now) which I now think suggests you live in the southern hemisphere where the weather is getting warmer (spring) - am I getting 'warmer'? Don't be shy now.

Edited by jparnold
paragraph

John

Thanks Loki,

You have just thrown another 'spanner into the works' for me, maybe I need to go for the download and 'hope for the best'.

Regarding updates, does the latest download version contain the released updates or do they have to be downloaded separately? Surely is does as I hate to think how long installation will take in the future when there might be multiple updates each needing a separate lengthy download.

Yes, the digital download version should install the latest version as of the date you download it (at least this is how it works for other apps from the MS Store and Steam, so not sure it would be any different for the sim).

The 'penny just dropped' as to your registered location (getting warmer now) which I now think suggests you live in the southern hemisphere where the weather is getting warmer (spring) - am I getting 'warmer'? Don't be shy now.

Lol! Looks like I've forgotten to update my location in quite some time. It is definitely not getting warmer here!

One thing which has almost concerned me, especially with some threads I have read in the past, is installing as an Administrator and what browser to use.

I assume that the use of EDGE (browser) is best or MUST it be used to ensure a worry free download/install?

The MS web page also states "Administrator approval required for installation" which made me wonder how that is achieved. Either run EDGE as administrator OR does the download prompt the user to install as an administrator?

Is there documentation to improve chances of a worry free download/install? I couldn't find any with a 'search'

Location still has me intrigued and I am thinking North America rather than Europe due to the time difference.

Edited by jparnold
add last sentence

John

I don't know if there has now been more than one "boxed" version, but mine has never asked for the disk one to be inserted, other than during the original install process. I'm thinking that the authentication is now handled by the reg number that has to be entered online during the install, similar to a the digital download version. My boxed version had a small card in the folder with my unique reg number.

I bought my Premium Deluxe from a well known Netherlands Pro Flight Sim supplier, (I live in the UK, but Amazon UK were unable to a deliver within 4 weeks after the release date, even though I'd pre-ordered it).

As with others' thoughts, I bought the boxed version in case I ever wanted to sell it, (not likely though !)

The composition of the two printed manuals shows a surprising lack of production co-ordination. The standard manual is a small soft cover job with the basic concepts and standard aircraft, whereas the deluxe supplement is a larger format hard cover book (with fewer pages), that just details the additional aircraft and airports.

Edited by glider66

One thing which has almost concerned me, especially with some threads I have read in the past, is installing as an Administrator and what browser to use.

I assume that the use of EDGE (browser) is best or MUST it be used to ensure a worry free download/install?

The MS web page also states "Administrator approval required for installation" which made me wonder how that is achieved. Either run EDGE as administrator OR does the download prompt the user to install as an administrator?

Is there documentation to improve chances of a worry free download/install? I couldn't find any with a 'search'

It can be bought and installed through the Microsoft Store or Xbox Game Pass apps on Windows 10, no need to use a browser. I installed it through the Xbox Game pass app as I have an Xbox Game Pass subscription. The administrator note is referring to the approval that most applications require when installing, and it will ask when needed. Check out the guide below for a quick view of the different install options.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015760620-Download-Installation-guides

I bought the DVDs, mainly because my download speed is 13, vs your 45. It installed properly, but the process was confusing. After install, you were immediately taken to an activation page. No problem there, except that once used, the code can’t be reused, of course, so I was committed. Then the Microsoft Store came up. Don’t know why. It offered the option of downloading the whole thing from scratch, but that wouldn’t work because the code was already used. Then I saw a drop down which included the option to buy the DVDs which I’d already bought. None of it made sense, so I quit the Store that I never asked to be in, and launched the game. No problems thereafter.

It can be bought and installed through the Microsoft Store or Xbox Game Pass apps on Windows 10, no need to use a browser. I installed it through the Xbox Game pass app as I have an Xbox Game Pass subscription. The administrator note is referring to the approval that most applications require when installing, and it will ask when needed. Check out the guide below for a quick view of the different install options.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015760620-Download-Installation-guides

Thanks for that information. I checked out the MS STORE app and noticed you can purchase and download from there. Tricky (way of purchasing) - I have to get my head around the fact that Windows has apps as well and Android. I might have ended up with download problems (using a browser) like some others seem to have encountered.

Lastly can I rely on not having to be in front of my PC during the download (eg go to bed) and check the 'progress' many hours later maybe even some hours after the download has ended?

BTW why are you still awake?

John

Lastly can I rely on not having to be in front of my PC during the download (eg go to bed) and check the 'progress' many hours later maybe even some hours after the download has ended?

BTW why are you still awake?

Yep, start the install, make sure it's going and then you can head off to do something else. This is what I did.

As for the time, I wasn't paying attention and was up a little late.