To all Logitech Extreme 3d Pro users.

Hello fellow users of this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Did any of you find out how to make the hat switch behave like it does in FSX spot view?

It was so nice to have a nice smooth panoramic 360 view, level, up or down touching a single button

For the moment I just succeeded in changing the "quick views" to longer ones as long as I press the hat switch

Thanks in advance for any advice

J-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

Hello fellow users of this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Did any of you find out how to make the hat switch behave like it does in FSX spot view?

It was so nice to have a nice smooth panoramic 360 view, level, up or down touching a single button

For the moment I just succeeded in changing the "quick views" to longer ones as long as I press the hat switch

Thanks in advance for any advice

J-Louis

Yes.... I did. Though it took me a long time to figure it out, and it was frustrating running through the paces, but it can be done. I need to eat... just woke up. I'll let you know how I did it when I return to the computer. Just wanted to quick reply to let you know that there is hope.

I posted this in another thread so I'll just copy and paste it here---:

I had the same problem but now I have it working just like FSX. Here's how:

Go to "Options" and then "Controls". Find your joystick and map your Hat switch as follows:

The commands you are looking for are "Cockpit look down, "Cockpit look down left" ect...

Map "Cockpit look down" to "POV" (with the arrow pointing down), "Cockpit down left" to "POV (with the arrow pointing down and to the left) and so on.

The most important thing is to pay attention to anything that is already mapped to you Hat switch because you HAVE to delete all duplicate commands or they will override your new mapping. Hope this helps and good luck!

Here are my completed instructions with diagrams. I hope this helps.

I'm just flying by the seat of my pants like everyone else, and happened upon this purely by accident.

-----

Okay I'm back. While I was eating, I see 'data65' helped you out with some of the key points. I'll just add what I was going to say:

1. Options/Controls... already been covered.

2. See your 3 areas of control listed in their own separate columns-- keyboard left column, mouse center column, 3D Pro Joystick right column-- at least that's how it looks for me.

Joystick map main menu x640.jpg

3. Realize that if any of those statuses (directly below the controller title)-- are labeled "default", nothing you try to change is going to do anything! The first thing you alter, will then create your 1st "user profile"-- labeled "keyboard profile, or "mouse profile" or Logitech Extreme 3D Profile".

The key is that they let you set multiple banks of user profiles, in case you want each bank to have it's own mapping... but you can NEVER overwrite the default settings-- which naturally house those snap to view hat switch changes that you and I loath so much.

4. First, let's step back and look at why we were both having such the difficulty with this. Look at this screenshot, and notice 3 things:

diagram of default bindings x640.jpg

a. The joystick is set to default from the beginning. If you didn't know to change this, no wonder one would be seemingly stuck.

b. Note that in default, my joystick POV's are stuck in "QuickView" (or what I call "snap to position").

c. MOST IMPORTANTLY: They don't tell you this in so many words, you have to figure it out yourself... but the filter starts off in "ASSIGNED". That means that they only show you what they've **already assigned! ** Any other choices get masked, until you click on the white arrows with a blue background and change that wording to "ALL".

5a. Now I've opened up the filter to "ALL", but kept the joystick on the default bank. I scrolled down, and notice that when I get to the hat switch views... we both want, it's blank.

5a. menu x640.jpg

I don't know what the difference is between "VIEW LOOK", and "VIEW LOOK (LOCKABLE); but this is what we'd have never seen, if we didn't have the option of changing the filter-- or not knowing that it could be changed in the first place!

b. So what is populated? The next section below with all the quick (snap) views. Directly below what we would have preferred all along! (Go figure!).

5b. menu x640.jpg

6. I don't recall if you have to make and label your new bank of presets Logit Extrm 3d Profie, or when you make your first edit, it automatically creates it... but try the 2nd way, I think that's what I did.

7a. Do your first joystick POV assignment to the smooth views above that you want, and it will tell you that it's already bound to something else.

7a 7b. menu x640.jpg

b. That something else will be the quick view that corresponded to the same direction. Go ahead and delete the one you don't' want, and I think it will have created the profile separate from "DEFAULT", as I have mine pictured here.

8. And then the final thing I guess I'd like to bring up, is what direction each push on the hat switch, affects how the camera is rotated around the plane. This is a personal preference. Since I'm also into car racing games, and I'm used to the hat switch being mapped this way over there... I want the direction of the hat switch to correspond to the direction that the airplane's tail is being shoved... relative to the camera. Therefore I map opposing directions, as indicated by the yellow lines.

8. menu x640.jpg

By default, it's mapped the opposite of how I just described (the black lines). That is to say, that a push on the hat switch to the left, moves the external view around to the left side of the plane, thereby making the tail of the plane move to the right.

This would seem to be logical, but to me it seems counter-intuitive and always messes with my brain.

Again that's up to you, but the reason I bring it up, is that if you don't like it the way it currently is, that can be mapped too:

9. Note that in cockpit view, I do believe you want the up, down, right, left to mapped "same" and not "opposing".

I hope this helps. Thanks for your patience, while I drew all this up.

-- John

Edited by b3burner
Needed time to resize pictures to forums limits

Thanks Data65 and B3burner

I already had the POV set up to look ahead behind right left and down a couple of days ago

I still cannot do a spot view outside the plane as could be done in FSX

In the YouTube segments that are presented everyday authors offer outside views of their plane on the ground and in flight in a continuing and smooth way....

I guess they have different joysticks and / or have mastered the outside camera use keyboard strokes

Anyway, thanks again John and Data for your effort and help

J-Louis

Good news my good friends! I could have a nice smooth passage from behind view to right or left...

So I guess I am getting there :cool:

Thanks

Jlb

For external panning look for these things, and I'm doing this off of the top of my head so it may not be exact but:

Map "Toggle External View" to one button and "Toggle Cockpit View" to another. Use the same "POV" commands that you did in the cockpit view for the external view but this time don't worry about the "POV" Commands conflicting with the Cockpit views because they won't.

I am assuming that there is a file containing the user setup for a joystick (eg Joystick Preferences or Joystick Settings).

If that file is not copyright protected it would be good if someone who has the Logitech 3D Pro joystick posts that file to the 'file library' here for MSFS2020 (there isn't an area setup yet but I'm sure it will come very soon).

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

• 3 months later...