My first reactions were the same. However, Microsoft has been delivering commercial software for many years now without including manuals, so to condemn them for doing it with this one is hardly fair. And not only Microsoft have been going this way - many commercial software products arrive with no manual, and no alternative available.

From Microsoft;

• Windows 7, 8 and 10
  • Office since about 2010
  • Visio since about 2010
  • Visual Studio
  • Access

from other venders:

Adobe

• Many (if not all) do not boast a manual

Most commercial anti-virus manufacturers

aShampoo

the list goes on.

So, I decided early on that I would purchase the SoFly manual, and TBH I've been most impressed with the scope and quality of their publication. And the number of updates, that have tended to match major released of the Sim - AT NO EXTRA COST.

Does it cover absolutely everything? No, it doesn't, but it covers the items that are going to be of most interest to the average fan, and also for MOST of the aficionados, as well.

As of today's date, it is in release 1.90, and contains 272 pages - well up from the original 120 pages.

Is it worth while? Well, it certainly has been for me.

msfs toc.jpg

The TOC from the latest version will give you a feel for what is in there. I trust that posting this is OK with SoFly. Otherwise, mods please trim this image out. Thank you.

John Glossop

Lapsed FSX scenery developer

Thanks for the tip. I upgraded my computer, bought MSFS, downloaded it (tried to) but there was a power outing (wind) and still 62 GiB are missing. You can't resume and it's now stuck in the updating. Been retrying for 9 days now. If it doesn't work in the next hours I'll ask for a refund (so helps me Gosh), and willl be back to recover my faithful FSX.

Bst rgds.

UPDATE.

Now have it installed and running, missing what everybody else is missing.

FSX, or at least the version I have, came with a printed manual and a separate quick reference guide. That of course was in the days when software came in boxes instead of via download. The manual was not as extensive as the book SoFly offers, but at least you had something you could refer to.

I have de FS Deluxe Edition (2 DVDs) with a Quick reference and Insider information. First one containing even an illustration of the joystick and its functions, all of them enough to have you in full command in almost no time at all. But now, the commercial part "took over" and I promise never ever again buy a MS simulator, or plane or train or whatever. Regards.

• 2 months later...
Sorry but I've and I'm sure others have spent a fortune getting fs up and running. I flatly refuse to spend any money on a PDF file which should have been included with the product..... What happened to the world, it seems to get crazier by the day !

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

• 3 weeks later...
I've been told that the manual will receive updates from time to time, and these will be free to existing customers.

I can verify that you can download updates for one year after date of purchase. I have two of the updates.

I don't know if I can give it a glowing recommendation for content. What is there is mostly correct but there is so much to cover in MSFS that any guide would need many more pages to do it justice. My strong preference would be for a physical, printed and bound copy like those things they used to make called books. That way I could quickly flip to the page marked with a post-it note while still keeping one hand on the yoke. But IMHO it is the best guide to MSFS available.

No manual comes with the BOXED VERSION of msfs2020. I have had the box version when it was released last year. A simple guide comes about how to install the game and one booklet comes along with it which looks like a MANUAL in the picture of the BOX, the booklet only contains some information of

the handcrafted AIRPORTS and the handcrafted AIRPLANES, nothing else such as how to fly any of the planes

Yes - with each update of the Sim, the manual is updated to cover the changes.

They've introduced a more complete manual that is about twice the price of the original, but which now(currently) has 282 pages.

FSG Contents.jpg

John Glossop

To be fair, they have included a pretty comprehensive pilot training package with the sim, which, while maybe not as accessible to many, is certainly truer to life for pilot training than a sim manual would be.

There are a LOT of videos out there on YouTube covering most aspects of the sim from basic setup, through settings, to pilot skills, that are in some ways better than a paper manual.

As this is probably the first truly representative flight sim for the masses that is as realistic as it gets, I think in retrospect that this is a good move - away from manuals.

There are already literally thousands of addons available for this sim, which cover all the way from complete cities and complete aircraft, to small iconic sights that were missed in the mapping, plus a wealth of tools to make your life easier with MSFS, and expand your experience greatly.

I still think that this site is one of the best flight sim sites available, but for downloads, I use flightsim.to, which is awesome.

John Glossop

• 3 weeks later...
No manual comes with the BOXED VERSION of msfs2020. I have had the box version when it was released last year. A simple guide comes about how to install the game and one booklet comes along with it which looks like a MANUAL in the picture of the BOX, the booklet only contains some information of

the handcrafted AIRPORTS and the handcrafted AIRPLANES, nothing else such as how to fly any of the planes

It is useful to remember that many of the aircraft sold for msSX had manuals of over 100 pages, so it is not reasonable to expect this game to have detailed instructions on how to fly each plane.

• 1 month later...
I also bought the SoFly manual, the day after I loaded up MSFS. Read thru the first revision pretty much entirely, now use it as a handy reference. Not perfect, but it does a great job...highly recommend it.

Also use the SoFly manual, but each time it issues an update, it seems to be a new edition and all I am offered is a lower price than the whole new manual, so it does not seem as though updates are free!

My last edition was June and today I obtained the Sept edition but paid an additional $12 US for it!!

Regards--John

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

• 3 weeks later...
I have de FS Deluxe Edition (2 DVDs) with a Quick reference and Insider information. First one containing even an illustration of the joystick and its functions, all of them enough to have you in full command in almost no time at all. But now, the commercial part "took over" and I promise never ever again buy a MS simulator, or plane or train or whatever. Regards.

If you love horses why bother using highway or freeways and buying a car?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :-) I said the same thing decades ago on a multitude of other software also.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

• 1 month later...
Also use the SoFly manual, but each time it issues an update, it seems to be a new edition and all I am offered is a lower price than the whole new manual, so it does not seem as though updates are free!

My last edition was June and today I obtained the Sept edition but paid an additional $12 US for it!!

Regards--John

Not sure where you bought it but I found that the version number in downloads section of the store does not change but in fact it does download the new version when you re-download.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am just trying to get back in to Flight simming after an absence of 10 years. I have MS2020 and have purchased the manual, but have not been able to find a printable list for the keys. Is there one? If so could someone give me a link or tell me where I can find one. ( I was going to state with FS2004 again but it wont run anymore). Thanks

Peter Jones

jones49@bigpond.net.au

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi folks,

I hope people here don't mind this question, but I recently acquired the book: Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training by Jeff van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings. 

I know the book is geared towards MFS X, but will it work with MSFS 2020 ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

6 hours ago, YankydoodleDandy said:

Hi folks,

I hope people here don't mind this question, but I recently acquired the book: Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training by Jeff van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings. 

I know the book is geared towards MFS X, but will it work with MSFS 2020 ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

While the training exercises in that most excellent book are great to learn pilot technique and airmanship, it's not going to properly reference the differences between the two very different flight simulator programs.

• 9 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, acornick1 said:

I'm savng up to buying a new pc, ready for MSFS and VR ... the manual has been a great way to build the anticipation!

don't waste your money on MSFS2020  . crap.

6 minutes ago, Brian R said:

don't waste your money on MSFS2020  . crap.

Don't feel it necessary to couch your comments in 'code'.... how do you really feel about the sim? 😃

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx