Great Lakes Express VA, closed? a trip down memory lane.

68shark

Hello!

Years ago I flew with a VA which was named Great Lakes Express or GLE for short. It was my first introduction to flying in flightsims for a purpose other than just mucking about. This was in the FS9 days. It was ran by James Kohan.

Tonight I got a little nostalgic and decided to look them up and see if it was still in operation. Their webpage still exists but is basically non functioning. however I see the history of the airline is still up and can be found here http://www.gleairlines.com/history.html

I guess im just curious as to what happened to it? or if anyone here flew for them and knew if there was still a core group that was somewhat active in the community. I spent about a year flying for them, then moved on to FSE and flying smaller cessnas as that was the type of flying i really enjoyed.

anyway, thanks for reading, hopefully this is an allowable post.

Mike

I've always liked deep diving VA websites, this one is very straight forward and easy to navigate. Not cluttered or overly fancy. Too bad it's not still around, I would be tempted to join. Not sure I ever joined a VA, can't remember having done so.

As impressed as I am by the big VAs, I would be more drawn to a small one with a very small fleet.

Thanks for bringing this one up, can't remember ever seeing it.

Wow this is weird. I literally just did the same thing. Was thinking about when I had the most enjoyment in FS and it was when I was flying GLE in FS98. The short turboprop hops were a blast on SATCO/VATSIM. Too bad it does look like it's no longer in operation. But weird coincidence Was thinking the same thing, did a Google search, and found this thread.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to necro but Ohio Valley Aviation had a few pilots who flew for GLE. We've decided to continue to fly some of the routes simply for nostalgia and that we liked them. Find our GLE routes in the menu to your left.

https://www.ohiovalleysystem.com/Aviation/index.htm

James M

Director Ohio Valley Golden Age A Golden Age Regional Airline Simulation

Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS Prime X570-P, NVidia GTX 1660 Super, 32G 3200mhz, 1TB Samsung SSD, HC Alpha, HC Bravo, Windows 11

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the kind words all.  GLE is still around, and going to be live again soon.  Couple of things happened to cause it to go quiet.  Shortly after I took ownership of GLE back, VAFS, the paid / hosted ACARS system we were using did a midnight 'data dump and run' so all the data we had on pilots, routes, hubs, etc., disappeared overnight.  Any refund of the pre-purchased year 'software lease' also vanished.   As I was in the midst of comparing replacement options and purchase a new ACARS system, I had a run-in with a table saw, and lost.  So I'm just getting back up to speed and will resume prep work to reopen shortly!

Jim Kohan

GLE001