Around the World in a Learjet.

Joop Kruize

So, now in Ambon. Will be interesting to see your video Joop of Singapore to Ambon. Slowly making your way across Indonesia. Yes the movie Entrapment, Wikipedia: 'heist in Kuala Lumpur: $8 billion from the "International Clearance Bank" (which refers to the Bank of International Settlements in Malaysia) in the North Tower of the Petronas Towers.'. There's the Darwin - Ambon yacht race held every August (not for last two years due to COVID, but planned again for Aug 2023. Ain't this a fun way to enjoy world geography! So, the 45 ('Range: 1,968 mi (3,167 km, 1,710 nmi) (4 passengers)') hasn't got the fuel capacity to safely do the big Pacific hops, hence upgrading to the 60? ( 'range (with 4 passengers and 2 crew) of 2,405 nautical miles (4,454 km) with NBAA 100 nmi (190 km) reserves, ISA.' Edited by MAD1

• 3 weeks later...

Stage 13 Dec. 15th. From Surabaya to Ambon Indonesia. (Distance 1113 Nm)

Made a relatively short and sometimes low round of Surabaya with a Cessna 172. There were no spectacular elements in the city or on the island, so quickly back to the airport. Started in the dark to be able to land at the airport of Ambon just after sunrise. After a bit in an easterly direction via Bali Lombok, the course to the north and over Celebes to the Moluccas, the island of Ambon and airport "Pattimura" where no ILS is present. Above Celebes, long ribbons of lights could be seen from habitation on the elongated islands. Fortunately, just before Ambon the sun came up, which is nice to fly low near the mountains. Landing without ILS takes some getting used to. But after a few go-arounds a reasonable landing this time.

The link to 13 - Ambon ..

CE79E77D-5DD4-4557-B72A-069F17588CCB.jpeg

Stage 14 Jan. 2th. 2023. From Ambon to Bamaga Australia (Distance 970 Nm)

To all FS2004 users, best wishes for the new year 2023. And stay healthy. Made a rectangular round of Ambon with a Cessna 208 Grand Caravan. This airplane is acting strange again. The electrical system frequently fails. Difficult when using GPS and AP. etc. With my Learjet-45 a short circle around the airport almost went wrong. The mountains are higher than expected. Because it is dark everywhere in the middle of the night, I had not seen the mountain. Suddenly the landing light came into view. And at this high altitude, that means a mountain range. The flight continued in the dark at maximum altitude and speed so 250 kias at FL340. The sun rose early along the southern side of Papua New Guinea. Flying straight into the sun when going to the east was sometimes tricky. Reading the instruments become less clear. Queensland Australia comes into view on the right. The landing is initiated. But the first island turns out to be the “Prince of Wales” island. Bamaga is located on Australia's most northerly point “Cape York” and the NPA-Injinoo-Somerset Airport is directly behind it. It is a small field with no buildings and no ILS system. So land manually or partly on AP-HDG. After a few go-arounds, a good landing was made and the aircraft was parked next to the runway. The airport is called “Northern Peninsula Airport” or “Bamaga/Injinoo Airport”.

The link to 14 - Bamaga ..

5B73E6C3-8D14-493D-A930-F3E1A27B92B0.jpeg

Welcome Joop to QLD. As I threatened, have a 'cold one' on me, the classic QLD XXXX ('four x'), it's not a very nice beer, chemical, not like the good Dutch, German etc. pure beers without preservative. Not too hot in Bamaga today, cloudy, but sticky: Horn Island weather station - now, at 1:18 pm, humidity 87%! 'Peninsula for Saturday. Cloudy. High chance of showers, becoming less likely this evening. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds W 15 to 25 km/h becoming light in the evening. Daytime maximum temperatures around 30.' Haven't watched the videos yet, will be interested to watch them later today.

Just watched both videos, enjoyable. Re Bamaga, it's very remote, not much at the airport (interesting WW2 wrecks), township is small. Joop, once you go exploring, you might like a swim (watch out for the crocs), have a beer, relax. Another day, a day trip to the Cape York tip of the Australian mainland (Australia actually extends north to the Torres Strait islands, and only a few km from the Papua - New Guinea mainland). It's hot and sticky (mid summer tropics), ensure you have a broad-brimmed hat, sunscreen, drink heaps of water.

1 Bamaga Airport.png 2 Bamaga town.png 5 plane wreck.png 6 plane wreck2.png3 4Xstubby.png 4 swim.png 7 tip aerial.png 8 tip sign90%.png

• 3 weeks later...

Where are my items? …. Stage 16 is gone … Stage 15 I tried to reset. Doesn’t look good.

To the Editor. ….. If you can delete my last update of today (Stage 15 …).   Please.
It doesn’t look like the good old text and I cannot edit it anymore.

I hope it wil be beter next week(s)….  I continue flying but ……  

my updates on this forum can wait ….   Good luck building this site/forum…

Thanks and …… we will meet again.. 

Hi Joop, glad you had a good tour over the Torres Straight islands. Thursday Island is the main population centre up there. I've never been, would like to go someday (farthest north I've been in QLD is Cairns and Mareeba). So, you're on your way across the mighty Pacific. Good luck that you keep your feet dry and wings out of the ocean! Hopefully you'll post your stories and videos once this site meets your satisfaction.

Stage 19 Jan 26th 2023. From Hawaii to Vandenberg (Distance 230 + 2044 Nm)

In Honolulu first a tour with the legendary B-17 over O'ahu via the southeast corner to Kaneohe AirPort and back over the mountains via Ford Island back to Honolulu and Int.AirPort. My Learjet 45 was more fuel efficient than the L-60.  So it has a longer range.  And so I fly to the USA with my L-45. First refuel in Hilo Hawaii via the islands of Molokai and Maui. The crossing from Hilo to Vandenberg AirPort is quite boring.  Hours hang over “Water World”. The max. range became 2900 nm.!!  I was flying at Mach 0.71 and at FL380. The take-off and landing went without ATC (Also costs fuel).  Landed and still 1820 lb. in the tanks. This results in a consumption of 2.03 lb.per nm.  and so with 6000 lb. fuel, a range of 2900 nm.!!.  Welcome to the USA at Vandenberg AirBase. in California.  The next route?  Still figuring out.

11 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Hi Joop, glad you had a good tour over the Torres Straight islands. Thursday Island is the main population centre up there. I've never been, would like to go someday (farthest north I've been in QLD is Cairns and Mareeba). So, you're on your way across the mighty Pacific. Good luck that you keep your feet dry and wings out of the ocean! Hopefully you'll post your stories and videos once this site meets your satisfaction.

MAD1: How do you fix this text….? To a bigger letter … I am trying to make the best of this new Forum … Pixtures wil also follow …I Hope. I’m also looking in a Dutch.FS2004 forum.

The best wil win … The link to the YouTube film is an other item . We will see. Cheers..JK

Stage 16 Jan. 12th. 2023. From Honiara to Majuro Marshall.  (Distance 1210 Nm)

Taxiing and starting with an Extra 300 is already a problem. To much power? Once airborne, I flew from Honiara Henderson AirPort over some islands, the Malaita island and the Nggela island. Along the way there was time to improve my flying skills, rolling, spinning, the Immelmann and upside down. In my Learjet 60 I started and left immediately, without ATC and thus to FL350 with 250 kts. (max). In an almost straight line to AirPort Majuro in the Marshall Islands, straight across "Nauru"island. The fuel consumption was slightly better, but a range of 2200 Nm does not seem possible.

The link to Majuro…        https://youtu.be/LWs8mPRGqGM

6F7C600F-849E-4A6C-A2F2-97DDE414C58F.thumb.jpeg.a4e4086f0a7fcb23115aaa43896ee51a.jpeg

On 1/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, Joop Kruize said:

Stage 15 Jan. 10th. 2023. From Bamaga Australia to Honiara Solomon (Distance 1044 Nm)

(This items disappeared from the forum…. .!?   In the update .. new Site/Forum..?)

A Dakota DC-3 was the great aircraft with which I explored the islands at the northern tip of

Australia, Cape York in Queensland.  Next to the island "Prince of Wales" is Wednesday island, Thursday and Friday Island.  Beautiful islands.  Straight across Red Island back to the airport.      

The link to Honiara… https://youtu.be/wM-xJwOp4lU

930D3407-6409-4FBA-B58D-99C282D0DA6A.thumb.jpeg.b27537042e5e5c15c199a890ebc0d781.jpeg

Stage 17 Jan. 18th 2023. From Majuro Marshall to Johnston Atoll (Distance 1265 Nm)

Made a round on the Marshall Islands from AirPort Majuro with a Pitts Special. Head east over the long ribbons from Majuro to the “Arno” Atoll.  Those long ribbons again. The Pitts is a wild stallion with a strange steering.  It has two speeds, first slow and then fast.  If you hold for a moment, it spins quickly.  So pay attention. The tank is also not too big and the fuel runs out quickly.  Practicing aerobatics is fun and difficult. Loops, rolls and an Immelmann are parts of it.  To see the world above you is something else. With my Learjet to the next destination, the Johnston Atoll.  A small rectangle. It is an airport that fits exactly on the island and in the Middle of Nowhere in “Water World”. Every small plane on his way to Hawaii has land here.  There is nothing else here…      The link to Johnston…. https://youtu.be/bOP7Q5ArLNI

EADBC338-5CDE-47DB-9548-2735778737B2.thumb.jpeg.3341ffebdcd48a1b0bdbc7428d21e2d1.jpeg

Stage 18 22 Jan.  2023. From Johnston to Hawaii, Honolulu Airport (Distance 714 Nm)

From the Johnston Atoll with a Tiger Moth and made a circle.  Another beautiful aircraft that is wonderful to maneuver but not for acrobatics or long distances.  So a short tour. With my Learjet 60 the last part to Hawaii, to AirPort Honolulu again with ILS etc. nice. There was not much to see along the way.  “Water World” is like flying at night, blue instead of black. Another small round of islands ”Iwan”, “Puuwai” and “Kauai” flew and clockwise to Honolulu. It was not in my Flight Plan this time, but they are nice and well-known islands.  So to the left. The island of O'ahu with Honolulu and the airports are very well known. The starting place of FS2004. (Like, coming Home)

The link to Honolulu…. https://youtu.be/st5iRs_k0lo

BB353429-481B-4B1C-AAC0-610569079851.thumb.jpeg.16481c14bb3ff968683b2eb5b8522464.jpeg

Stage 19 Jan 26th 2023. From Hawaii to Vandenberg (Distance 230 + 2044 Nm)

In Honolulu first a tour with the legendary B-17 over O'ahu via the southeast corner to Kaneohe AirPort and back over the mountains via Ford Island back to Honolulu and Int.AirPort. My Learjet 45 was more fuel efficient than the L-60.  So it has a longer range.  And so I flew to the USA with my L-45. First refuel in Hilo Hawaii via the islands of Molokai and Maui. The crossing from Hilo to Vandenberg AirPort is quite boring.  Hours hang over “Water World”. The max. range became 2900 nm.!!  I was flying at Mach 0.71 and at FL380. The take-off and landing went without ATC (Also costs fuel).  Landed and still 1820 lb. in the tanks. This results in a consumption of 2.03 lb.per nm.  and so with 6000 lb. fuel, a range of 2900 nm.!!.  Welcome to the USA at Vandenberg AirBase. in California.  The next route?  Still figuring out.   
The link to Vandenberg USA. https://youtu.be/6OBBR8y266s

1AE8984E-96EC-4DB8-A1EE-679AE23016BF.jpeg

13 hours ago, Joop Kruize said:

MAD1: How do you fix this text….? To a bigger letter … I am trying to make the best of this new Forum … Pixtures wil also follow …I Hope. I’m also looking in a Dutch.FS2004 forum.

The best wil win … The link to the YouTube film is an other item . We will see. Cheers..JK

I don't know anything about the new site. I just clicked on a post and typed. The font size you see is what I typed, I didn't adjust font size. But typing this just now, I see at the top of the box a menu ribbon with 'Size' dropdown, it's showing '(Default)' where you can change the size from 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 points etc. Try that. And to the right is menu of a page icon 'Preview' which pops up a box that shows you it what your post will look like.

• Thanks 1

You've crossed the Pacific in the last two weeks, quite a journey, and yes, it's not called the 'Mighty Pacific' for no reason, it is really BIG. Now that you're in continental USA, am sure you're much more relaxed with plenty of strips to divert to if you need to, and scenery to watch. Will continue to watch your progress back to the Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stage 20 Feb 14th 2023. From Vandenberg to Edwards AF.Base (Dist. 520 Nm)

First I flew a few rounds at AirForceBase Vandenberg with the glider 2-32 Schweizer. No thermals today in this area. After a few laps back to the field. With my Learjet I went along the coast to the north and to San Francisco Int. Airport, via Oakland, the Alcatraz island and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Back across the city off San Francisco and along the Oakland Bridge. Then the route via Fresno and Bakersfield to Edwards Air Force Base. Many airfields in this area. Every Village has it’s own airstrip? In this flat landscape there are many circular agriculture fields, irrigation projects.   Link to Edwards AF.Base … https://youtu.be/tNMwBIdiu6A

62112BB8-980E-465A-8398-26D22139D5F9.jpeg

Stage 21 Feb 17th 2023. From Edwards to Las Vegas Int. (Dist. 308 Nm).

At Edwards AFBase, I tried out the F-16 Falcon. The takeoff went fine. The autopilot works super. But beyond that ... The left radar image no longer works. My free use has expired. A radio with the VOR-1 at 110.3 Hz for the ILS setting cannot be adjusted? Strange. My FlightPlan was also a bit tight. With the high speed, the turns are too tight. Flew a nice bit over flat and mountainous terrain. Landed well with the auto.pilot. and taxiing goes as well.  Took my Learjet-45 first around Los Angeles, the beach at Santa Monica and Venice, the int. Airport, over the hills at Hollywood and then east via Barstow and Boulder City, over the Hoover Dam, left to Las Vegas int. AirPort. downtown.  Link to Las Vegas. ... https://youtu.be/UcxSifLsimQ

898FBF35-6F64-4197-9F48-303F3AAB91CA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Stage 22 Feb. 23th. 2023. From Las Vegas to Page Int.  (Distance 310 Nm)

In Las Vegas I went on a City Tour with the Bell 206 Ranger Heli over the “Strip” of Las Vegas, to the north, around the TV tower and back over the “Strip” and to Las Vegas int. Airport. With my Learjet-45 I first flew over the Hoover Dam and then followed the Colorado River via the South Rim to Page int. Airport. Along the way past the airstrip Fearce Ferry and the beautiful private airstrip Bar-10 that looks more like an aircraft carrier high in the mountains. Sometimes the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon is very wide and sometimes so narrow and very winding that you can only follow it by flying above. But a very varied and beautiful landscape. 
Link to Page Int. https://youtu.be/y98xYKP5pqs

D7B03EE5-D98A-4DA6-89AD-DC4E7EC7E5F9.jpeg

Nice! Must have had your headset disconnected, I'd venture to say LAS Tower was shouting at you.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 2 weeks later...

Stage 23  March 4th 2023. From Page to Jackson Int.  (Distance 510 Nm)

From the plateau of Page airport, a lap with my Learjet-45 over the Glen Canyon Dam and back to the Colorado River via Lake Powell, along the mouth of San Juan River on the right, to the mouth, the Green River, from where I turn left to follow this river north. From Arizona along the two cities with the name “Green River” in Utah and in Wyoming. On the way through the mountains past some acquaintances, to the private airstrip Tavaputs Range at over 9000 ft altitude. Via Boulder and Pinedale to South Park and Jackson airport.

Link to Jackson Int. .. https://youtu.be/TSFRMvEpmss

F03FEC76-5D87-431C-A4F0-BE8851EC8254.jpeg

"Phrogphlyer".  Yes, I sometimes fly a bit too low, or over areas where it is not allowed. Also sometimes I don't listen to ATC because I fly alone anyway.  Risks with Flight simulator are there to be tested.  Where are the boundaries, the limits?  Ever tried an Immelmann with a B-737 or B-17?  An airplane to zero speed, spinning, rolling.? Why not…  So you work with FSX?!  Maybe I'll switch from FS9 to FSX one day, but I'll stick to the quality of the PC.  My FS9 works fine and I want to keep this speed.  At FSX I have to go to a much heavier machine.  Or am I wrong?  Regards, Joop…

18 minutes ago, Joop Kruize said:

Where are the boundaries, the limits?

This is exactly what has kept me interested in flight sim since the very beginning (FS1). There are no limits to one's imagination.,

19 minutes ago, Joop Kruize said:

So you work with FSX?!  Maybe I'll switch from FS9 to FSX one day, but I'll stick to the quality of the PC.  My FS9 works fine and I want to keep this speed.  At FSX I have to go to a much heavier machine.  Or am I wrong?  Regards, Joop…

Joop,

I have used both 2004/FS9 and FSX on my computers. I bought FSX Gold Edition as soon as it was released. I even ran FSX on a small ACER laptop with minimal capabilities over 10 years ago, so I have personally never had any issues.  Also, I don't focus on frame rates or other metrics. As long as I can do what I want, then I'm happy. If I run into problems with an extensively detailed addon aircraft or scenery, I reduce setting a little and press on. I like FSX a little better that FS9, but that is just my preference. Should you add FSX, I recommend that you keep FS9 running also. Then compare different capabilities and make an informed opinion based on direct usage, Keep having fun, PhrogPhlyer

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.