Airport Installer Issues

Dunlap111

Hi.

That's not a familiar format for an airport identifier and I wouldn't have thought anyone would have uploaded a file with that name.

What sim are you using (I don't mean to patronise but a lot of stuff does get posted in the wrong forum), what airport was the download for, and where did you find the list of must-have files?

D

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]

[TD]Flight Simulation - Utilities and MiscellaneousAirport v2.60 Upgrade To Build 163

[ Download | View ]

Name: a26b163u.zip

Size: 2,268,631 Date: 05-17-2003 Downloads: 60,812

devaward.gif

Airport v2.60 Upgrade To Build 163. Maintenance release which addresses any issues which have been reported. Packaging lists now include seasonal textures from user API files. An improvement in included when using the SurfaceType for Polygons Problem with staggered lines of objects is fixed. The SCASM help files in HMTL format are included. This file should be installed only by users who have previously installed any build of Airport v2.60. If upgrading from v2.10, get the full v2.60 installation (A26B122.ZIP). Airport v2.60 Upgrade by Tom Hiscox. Original Airport written by Pascal Meziat.

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]firstnew-comment.png Add Comment[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If I were starting out as you are I would use ADE - Airport Design Editor. It has most of what you need for FS2004.

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/downloads

Download the current production version, manual, and Prokey (note the registration information). If you are going to use it to place default library objects download the FS9 Thumbnail Pack as well.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Note: ADE takes some learning and you might want to read the manual and visit their help forum, but once you learn it it's really a great program that can do damn near everything you need for airport design. Even GPS approaches.

I'll add don't be daunted by the size of the manual. ADE just has a lot of extra functionality.

If you've ever used older software like AfCad 221 then ADE is pretty intuitive and handles in pretty much the same way, making the manual more of a reference than a text-book.

If you're starting from scratch then as Aaron says, it's a steep learning curve but then, if you're starting from scratch, so is any other airport design program.

D

• 2 weeks later...
The old paid-for AFX is another FS2004 program for airport design. While rich in some features, it's no where close to ADE's wealth of capabilities. Due note however that AFX and ADE compiled files are not compatible with one another. I don't know why that is other than perhaps how the XML was created. Take it for me as I have run both programs...

The old paid-for AFX is another FS2004 program for airport design. While rich in some features, it's no where close to ADE's wealth of capabilities. Due note however that AFX and ADE compiled files are not compatible with one another. I don't know why that is other than perhaps how the XML was created. Take it for me as I have run both programs...

In what way? I have been using AFX to edit ADE files for years (when it suits for a quick edit) and likewise have often loaded an AFX file into ADE if I need to do something that AFX doesn't do (such as create a "flatten" area). To date I have never encountered a single issue in FS2004.

John

(an obsessive airport meddler amongst other things)

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

In what way? I have been using AFX to edit ADE files for years (when it suits for a quick edit) and likewise have often loaded an AFX file into ADE if I need to do something that AFX doesn't do (such as create a "flatten" area). To date I have never encountered a single issue in FS2004.

John

(an obsessive airport meddler amongst other things)

I don't know, my observation was that the file didn't play nice in AFX or ADE let alone load. How much editing did you do to the file? I created approaches and the whole nine yards1 (8.2 meters).

1I'm an idiom.

I don't know, my observation was that the file didn't play nice in AFX or ADE let alone load. How much editing did you do to the file? I created approaches and the whole nine yards1 (8.2 meters).

1I'm an idiom.

THE file? Hundreds of files . . . at least!

I haven't ever done anything with approaches but I think ADE is essential for that. But AFX is excellent at not over-writing things it doesn't understand. But Tom has suggested an issue with illegal characters. Presumably my sanity(?) has discouraged me from inserting such things.

Best regards,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I remember when

I remember, I remember when I lost my mind

There was something so pleasant about that place

Even your emotions have an echo in so much space

And when you're out there without care

Yeah, I was out of touch

But it wasn't because I didn't know enough

I just knew too much...

I especially like this version.

I hate to admit it, but the song has a certain meaning for me. For one, it came out at the same time I had to go to a mental health hospital. And two, it's like the story of my freaking life.

I had aspirations to fly for FedEx or UPS (didn't want to deal with passengers). Not now... not with the current FAR.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot