VRS TacPack issue in FSXSE

Badger26

Noticed a problem while I was messing around with the F-35 with TacPack addon over the weekend. The weapons don't seem to fire at all even though the addon is connected to the sim just fine. I can use VRS AI such as drones, carriers etc.& other features of the program and it reads my aircraft as a VRS surrogate but when ever I try switching & firing weapons of any kind nothing happens. The weapons do seem to be created because I can use the manual emergency release but the weapons buttons(pickle & trigger) don't work. Anyone know what could be causing this or have a fix for it? I payed $30 for this addon and just want it to work as advertised.

Hi,

I think the problem is down to you not having mapped any key combinations and/or joystick trigger functions to actually 'fire' the weapons

A list of the assigned F-35 default key strokes can be found on pages 9 and 10 of the User manual - this can be found in a folder called 'Docs' located in the F-35A model folder and it covers all operating details for all models. Notably, there is no listing for a dedicated 'fire' combo.

It is important to remember that TacPack was originally designed to work with the VRS F-18E Superbug and that it has been 'updated' under license to work with other products - some to accompany dedicated models such as Dino has done with the F-35 and some are 'amateur' mods created by the community to add unofficial (and thus unsupported) functionality to products - for example you can find mods for the Aerosoft F-16 and the JustFlight Tornado GR1 products...

The Superbug uses the following default key combos for firing the weapons and I have adapted my FSX keyboard settings to use them with the F-35...

SHIFT+CTRL+V GUN TRIGGER - Note: In AA MM, fires currently selected weapon and in AS MM, designated ground target via HMD)

SHIFT+CTRL+C BOMB PICKLE - (Note: In AS MM, releases currently selected weapon and in AA MM, it has no function).

Regards

Brian

Hi

Further to my last...I forgot to mention how best to set the key combos....

With FSX closed start the TacPack Configuration Manager - this can done either via the desktop shortcut if you created one during the install process or via the Start Menu listing - its under the Vertical Reality Simulations entry by default...

Once the manager GUI is displayed open the 'Trigger Mapping' option located on the Preference tab (it should default to the pref tab when the GUI opens - if not select it)..

Here you can set either a keyboard combo or assign buttons on a joystick...

Once you have made your entries click on the File > Save option (located just above Preference tab) to save the changes...You can then exit the Manager, start FSX and test...

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Alright so I fixed the weapons issue but now I'm having an issue recovering my VRS login to reactivate TacPack. Will be needing it since I'm installing a bigger internal C drive on my PC and may have messed up my product key when I moved my stuff to an external hard drive. I also tried a password reset and never sent me the prompt so now I'm in contact with customer support hoping to get a solution before I end up having to buy TacPack again VRS customer portal acts like my email is still active on their site but when I try for a password reset I get nothing sent and the customer support guy said they don't seem to have my email on file. Has anyone else had this issue?

Do you still have the order confirmation emails that VRS sent you when you purchased Tacpack...

The email contains your Customer ID, the license ID, the Password that you set during the account set up process (note this will not be the password IF you have subsequently changed it via your account) and if appropriate the product serial number (although IIRC this is only available if you have purchased the VRS F-18E Superbug product)...

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
I think it somehow got deleted. I'm thinking I may have to just bite the bullet and buy TacPack again with one of my alternate emails. Now that I think of it I may have used up my last remaining activation allowance on my last PC which I no longer have access to anyway. It's not that expensive anyway so I don't mind that much. Kinda wish the FSX version was free though or at least significantly lowered the price. Edited by Badger26

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to re-buy TacPack & have been messing around with carrier functions today. Is there a way to lower the aircraft lifts to lower an aircraft to the lower hangar deck of a carrier? Trying it with the Acceleration carrier since that seems to be the only one in the system and with the F-35C.

I don't think the default carrier has such a feature (BTW there are more than one carriers - google the phrase -FSX carrier locations' this will give you info on their locations...

I also don't think the carriers that are provide via the TacPack have the function either....

There are a number of freeware carrier addons that add additional carriers (and that TacPack can use) - one of the better ones is AICarriers, a google search should find it but it available here in the library at flightsim (note you may find multiple versions of this  app the best to get is the .net version (IIRC the file name for it here at flightsim is AICarrier.net)...

There are also some payware stuff out there but whether they offer such functions as moving lifts I don't know.... 

Regards

Brian

On 1/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, longbreak754 said:

I don't think the default carrier has such a feature (BTW there are more than one carriers - google the phrase -FSX carrier locations' this will give you info on their locations...

I also don't think the carriers that are provide via the TacPack have the function either....

There are a number of freeware carrier addons that add additional carriers (and that TacPack can use) - one of the better ones is AICarriers, a google search should find it but it available here in the library at flightsim (note you may find multiple versions of this  app the best to get is the .net version (IIRC the file name for it here at flightsim is AICarrier.net)...

There are also some payware stuff out there but whether they offer such functions as moving lifts I don't know.... 

Yeah there doesn't seem to be at least in the Acceleration carrier. Be cool if we could control the lower deck lifts & have the planes moved & stored below deck while the ship is moving & also have it automatically load fighter aircraft with weapons & fuel. This seems like an awesome idea for an updated TacPack if VRS ever decides to make a new one for MSFS. I'm going to give AICarriers a try though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into yet another issue with TacPack today. It gives me an error message on startup then the sim crashes after it loads a flight & I try to do anything. it seems to be dll related and possibly a directx issue. anyone know of a fix for this?

I have this every now and then - it seems to happens most often after a Windows update...

A couple of things that usually resolves the issue...the TacPack one is usually the only one required... 

TacPack - With FSX closed start the TacPack manager (TPM) - if you have not created a desktop icon for it or are not sure where to find the app here's some info.....

An entry for the TPM can be found on the Windows Start menu under the Vertical Reality Simulations entry.... TIP to make is easy to access do one of the following - Right click on the TPM link and select the Pin To Start option (this will place a large icon onto right hand icon lists) OR select More>Pint to Taskbar (puts a small icon on your taskbar) OR my preferred option select More>Open File Location - this takes to .exe location...you can then right click on the .exe file, select Send To>Desktop (create shortcut) to place a icon onto your desktop....

I would also advise running TPM with admin rights  - this can be set to happen either by Right clicking the icon and selecting the Run as Admin option or if you right click and select properties - this will open a Properties window....on this window select the Advanced button and place a tick in the Run as admin option followed by Ok and then Apply...this will run the app in admin mode every time you click on it...

Once the TPM has started you may get a message about FSX running in a unsupported mode - can't remember the exact message as it quite long - and there will be a option to change the mode - do so, close TPM and then try FSX...

If the TPM starts with no issues or is the FSX error remains after changing the mode  you will need to provide more specific info regarding the issue....however, if you are certain that is is DirectX related I suggest downloading the DirectX Redistributable pack - this include DirectX 9 (versions A, B and C - C is used by FSX), 10 and 11 - it can be found HERE or HERE

Click on the download link provided and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Allow the Installer to do its thing and once complete reboot using the RESTART option - The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated....Note that the install process will only install missing versions and/or replace missing/corrupted/incompatible files of the versions it finds installed....

Regards

Brian

1 hour ago, longbreak754 said:

I have this every now and then - it seems to happens most often after a Windows update...

A couple of things that usually resolves the issue...the TacPack one is usually the only one required... 

TacPack - With FSX closed start the TacPack manager (TPM) - if you have not created a desktop icon for it or are not sure where to find the app here's some info.....

An entry for the TPM can be found on the Windows Start menu under the Vertical Reality Simulations entry.... TIP to make is easy to access do one of the following - Right click on the TPM link and select the Pin To Start option (this will place a large icon onto right hand icon lists) OR select More>Pint to Taskbar (puts a small icon on your taskbar) OR my preferred option select More>Open File Location - this takes to .exe location...you can then right click on the .exe file, select Send To>Desktop (create shortcut) to place a icon onto your desktop....

I would also advise running TPM with admin rights  - this can be set to happen either by Right clicking the icon and selecting the Run as Admin option or if you right click and select properties - this will open a Properties window....on this window select the Advanced button and place a tick in the Run as admin option followed by Ok and then Apply...this will run the app in admin mode every time you click on it...

Once the TPM has started you may get a message about FSX running in a unsupported mode - can't remember the exact message as it quite long - and there will be a option to change the mode - do so, close TPM and then try FSX...

If the TPM starts with no issues or is the FSX error remains after changing the mode  you will need to provide more specific info regarding the issue....however, if you are certain that is is DirectX related I suggest downloading the DirectX Redistributable pack - this include DirectX 9 (versions A, B and C - C is used by FSX), 10 and 11 - it can be found HERE or HERE

Click on the download link provided and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Allow the Installer to do its thing and once complete reboot using the RESTART option - The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated....Note that the install process will only install missing versions and/or replace missing/corrupted/incompatible files of the versions it finds installed....

Tried  the DirectX fix you recommended but I still have it crash on me. Even tried running TacPack in admin mode & still crashes. Tried finding a crash log but all I found was a page that just has a bunch of random code with no helpful info about why the game crashed.

Without any details of the crash it is hard to provide help....

Look at the Windows event viewer to any errors occurring at the time you try to run FSX. and post the entire entry into the thread - for info an entry will look like this example but obviously with different details....

Faulting application name: couatl.exe, version: 2.0.0.2356, time stamp: 0x52702856
Faulting module name: couatl.exe, version: 2.0.0.2356, time stamp: 0x52702856
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00002956
Faulting process id: 0x1fd8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf97d662b274dd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe
Report Id: 2cd0a798-03ca-11e4-aaf3-d43d7ee230d0

Another quick check to carryout is for non TacPack related issues that may cause such errors - namely a corrupt flight or logbook entry....do the following checks ONE at a time and in the order given - i.e. do the corrupt flight check and then test FSX....

Corrupt flight - locate the FSX.cfg file located at C:\Users\<AccountName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  (NOTE the AccountName element is the name of the account you log onto your computer with)...Open the file using Notepad and find the SITUATION= entry located in the [UserInterface} section - it will look similar to this example SITUATION=C:\Users\Brian\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\<Name> - the <name> could be anything or blank depending on what has happened and if you have saved any flight...

Simply delete every thing after the = sign so that the entry now reads SITUATIOM=
Close the file ensuring that you save the changes and start FSX....FSX will load the default flight (the ultralight over Friday Harbour) - let it run  for a minute or so and then exit the flight and close FSX so that new flight related files can be written....restart FSX to see if the problem is resolved.....note that any setting you have changed (such as time weather etc will be reset to the default so will need changing once the problem has been sorted.....

Corrupt logbook - NOTE ONLY do this if the corrupt flight procedure doesn't fix the problem - this will lose you any hours you have logged but we maybe able to resolve that once you have tested and resolved the problem....

The logbook entries are stored in a file called logbook.bin located at . "C:\Users\<AccountName>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"...
Rename the file to logbook.BAK and start FSX - a new .bin file be created...fly a flight for a few mins and then exit the flight and close FSX so the new file is saved - restart FSX to test if the issue has been resolved........

Regards

Brian

On 2/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, longbreak754 said:

Without any details of the crash it is hard to provide help....

Look at the Windows event viewer to any errors occurring at the time you try to run FSX. and post the entire entry into the thread - for info an entry will look like this example but obviously with different details....

Faulting application name: couatl.exe, version: 2.0.0.2356, time stamp: 0x52702856
Faulting module name: couatl.exe, version: 2.0.0.2356, time stamp: 0x52702856
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00002956
Faulting process id: 0x1fd8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf97d662b274dd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe
Report Id: 2cd0a798-03ca-11e4-aaf3-d43d7ee230d0

Another quick check to carryout is for non TacPack related issues that may cause such errors - namely a corrupt flight or logbook entry....do the following checks ONE at a time and in the order given - i.e. do the corrupt flight check and then test FSX....

Corrupt flight - locate the FSX.cfg file located at C:\Users\<AccountName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  (NOTE the AccountName element is the name of the account you log onto your computer with)...Open the file using Notepad and find the SITUATION= entry located in the [UserInterface} section - it will look similar to this example SITUATION=C:\Users\Brian\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\<Name> - the <name> could be anything or blank depending on what has happened and if you have saved any flight...

Simply delete every thing after the = sign so that the entry now reads SITUATIOM=
Close the file ensuring that you save the changes and start FSX....FSX will load the default flight (the ultralight over Friday Harbour) - let it run  for a minute or so and then exit the flight and close FSX so that new flight related files can be written....restart FSX to see if the problem is resolved.....note that any setting you have changed (such as time weather etc will be reset to the default so will need changing once the problem has been sorted.....

Corrupt logbook - NOTE ONLY do this if the corrupt flight procedure doesn't fix the problem - this will lose you any hours you have logged but we maybe able to resolve that once you have tested and resolved the problem....

The logbook entries are stored in a file called logbook.bin located at . "C:\Users\<AccountName>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"...
Rename the file to logbook.BAK and start FSX - a new .bin file be created...fly a flight for a few mins and then exit the flight and close FSX so the new file is saved - restart FSX to test if the issue has been resolved........

Issue still not resolved after all suggested fixes. I also notice an error line in red above the screen after it it loads & just before it cashed. Says something like; failed more than 100 attempts to reach sim connect. It pops up just after the Honeycomb profile loads. Some other options I'm thinking about trying is loading from a restore point or uploading one of my backup images to my hard drive then doing a complete reboot. That kinda fixed a similar issue I once had in the past.

Think it may be an issue with a Windows update I'm pretty sure because I decided to uninstall to recent Windows feature updates and seemed to have worked then but when ever Windows decides to install the updates again it becomes wonky & unstable causing the crash & app compatibility issues within the app itself. Really wish  VRS would release a patch for this bug as there seem to be no legit permanent fix that I can make work.

I understand your frustration but IMO its not really the fault of VRS...MS updates seem to have knack of breaking things, and for VRS to chase every issue that an MS update creates may be problematic, time consuming and may only be updated when they release new updates....

That said, as I have indicated in my first post, I have mostly only experienced issues with TP after a windows update and having had a look back as some of the more recent issues (last encountered it in Aug 2022) it always seems to happens when a .NET Framework V 3.5 and 4 update has been installed....both are perquisite requirements for TP to work (V3.5 and V4.6.1 to be specific) so it might be worth checking that you have both installed...If you haven't got them or you want to simply reinstall them, you can download 3.5 from HERE and V4 from HERE - remember to download and save the ,exe files and then run the installer using admin rights...install V3.5 first  followed by a reboot and then V4...If you already have the versions installed, the new install process will check for what files are there and will only install or replace any missing, corrupt or out of date files...    

Regards

Brian

Seems to be working now. I just scaled back my app sizes from 125% back to 100% and reduced AI traffic to almost 0%. I think it was mostly my AI traffic settings that was causing the crashing. TacPack seems to be up & running like normal now.