AP Glide slope hold in ILS

beroun

Hi,

Just almost crashed on ILS approach (AP approach hold) in fog since at about 700ft the glide slope stopeed functioning and aircraft started descending below the approach path. Needed to disonnect AP and landed manually - so happy end.

Can anyone help to see which figures (assuming in aircraft.cfg or in air file) to tweek to secure the realistic GS holds on approaches?

Thanks for any clues.

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Peter,

Your problem sounds very strange indeed and especially if you didn't touch any of your manual controls during your ILS approach and which could have resulted in your AP automatically switching itself off.

Are you sure you didn't get too close to your stalling speed during your approach ?

Hans

I'm not aware of any figures like that in any .cfg file. I'm thinking most if not all runways in the Sim are a standard issue 3 degrees or something like that. And there is no coincidence with the PAPI either in a lot of cases. Saw that many times.

Your issue however mirrors my past experience though rare. So because I know it can happen I'm prepared for it just in case. Since I mostly fly the F-22 and have retrofitted an imaginary WAAS gauge in my cockpit, it has a synthesized GS/LOC so lone as you zero in on the real mag heading of the runway. I do this as part of my approach procedures by grabbing the actual runway mag from the GPS 500. So now if the AP messes up I can go by the synthesized GS/LOC produced by the WAAS gauge.

For the life of me I can't find the same exact gauge I have. I'm pretty sure I ripped it out of an F-111 and it's called a WASS_GPS vidmap.cab file, but the one's I see are green and my bezel is a metal gray and looks different.

There's also this similar functioning gauge and I have this one installed as a pop up transparent window because what the hey?

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]

[TD]FS2004 Gauge--SALS

[ Download | View ]

Name: salsv9.zip

Size: 227,553 Date: 06-05-2006 Downloads: 2,926

salsv9.gif

FS2004 Gauge--Satellite Assisted Landing System, v9 (SALS). Using satellite data, this gauge provides glidepath/glideslope guidance into all runways inside the FS world. Approach heading and glideslope indicators are displayed during the landing phase in a fashion similar to those used with ILS and requires the same piloting techniques to keep the needles centered. Because SALS has the ability to guide an aircraft to both ends of a runway, every airport including grass strips and seaplane bases can be accessed with a high level of landing precision. In case of missed approaches, backcourse guidance is provided during climbout. Panel or separate window installation. Includes SALS icon gauge and Word doc with illustrated design parameters. By Glenn Copeland.

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I usually use FSPanel Studio and hand edit my panels.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

The SALS gauge works great. Why the GS signal dropped I don't know, but maybe it has to do with the Airport rather than the AP settings in the aircraft.cfg file? The 0's and 1's in the .cfg file only tell you if the instrument functions on the airplane in question, correct?

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks Gents,

The SALS gauge is very impressive, will definitely use it. Emarrassingly (Hans), I probably did stall since, after reducing the weight, the same landing worked OK. So, appologies for this emotional glitch, just was upset when this happened after a great flight.

Edited by beroun

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Thanks Gents,

The SALS gauge is very impressive, will definitely use it. Emarrassingly (Hans), I probably did stall since, after reducing the weight, the same landing worked OK. So, appologies for this emotional glitch, just was upset when this happened after a great flight.

Now why on dirt (Earth) do they not have rocket cans (small boosters) like a C-130 has to temp correct a stall out situation? :D LOL!

I mean, we're not looking at a huge Nâ‹…m of force here, yo!

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with Aaron,

mainly in view of the slow jet engine acceleration. Will suggest to my colleague designers:)

I was kinda joking. But if taken seriously, of course lots of testing would have to be done and appropriate pilot training in the Sim to handle such an abrupt but persistent stall out correction in flight. So I think it would need to be a gradual, but fairly fast correction. Something perhaps a De Havilland Dash or other regional could perhaps benefit from due to icing.