Catalina Island

adamb

Beautiful set of Catalina!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Is that Sky King's plane?

The name's the same. Otherwise it doesn't look like I remember it. Having said that, I was watching Black and White TV at that time.

I don't even know what model that plane is.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The name's the same. Otherwise it doesn't look like I remember it. Having said that, I was watching Black and White TV at that time.

I don't even know what model that plane is.

Cessna 310, I think!

Kirby-Grant-as-Sky-King-2.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Nice shots Adam. How'd your approach go? I've never noticed landing there in a sim duplicated RW conditions.

I remember the first time I RW flew to Catalina in a buddy's Bonanza, we experienced a sudden ground cushion effect. With no headwind that day, which I understand is pretty unusual, in order to keep our airspeed up we were flying with more ground speed than optimal. So we tried to get down ASAP.

Approaching the edge of the runway atop that knoll we had nothing but air below us. Then a sudden onset of ground cushion off the runway felt like coming over the edge when landing on a ship.

Close...Sky King had a Cessna 320, basically a stretched 310. Before my time, he had a Cessna "Bamboo Bomber".

Right On! At the risk of revealing how ancient I am, I went to Wikipedia and looked up "Cessna Bamboo Bomber." And sure enough there was a picture of Sky standing with the plane I remembered seeing on my uncle's black and white TV. And it was listed as a Cessna T-50 or "Bamboo Bomber."

The plane Charley posted looked way more modern that what I remembered Sky flying. For one thing I surely don't remember seeing the wing tanks.

You young bucks or belles may relate to Sky with the 320. But the plane I remember him using is the T-50.

• 2 weeks later...
fsim_thumbup-logo.jpg A very very nice and good time vacation there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , MS Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (a since 10:43 PM 7/24/2018). New 2019 "PATRIOT" Memory VIPER DDR3 8GB x2 XMP2.0

FSX SE "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 12:02 AM, UPHILL3 said:

Wow! The scenery on top of Catalina Island is just a little different than when I first landed there with MS FS Version 2 in 1984:)

You think!!  I look a lot different than I did in 1984 as well.  But in my case, that's certainly not an improvement!! 😦 

Fantastic pics!

At Catalina, don't land short, or roll too long after landing. It is a great airport to visit.

Closet experience one can have in real world aviation to  landing on a carrier (I'm old enough to talk wood deck and props - T-28C and USS Lexington).

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

22 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Fantastic pics!

At Catalina, don't land short, or roll too long after landing. It is a great airport to visit.

Closet experience one can have in real world aviation to  landing on a carrier (I'm old enough to talk wood deck and props - T-28C and USS Lexington).

A few of us are that old!  Still love the old T-28s.