A Sleety Night in Detroit

Sad but true. That is a very accurate depiction of flight operations at DTW in winter! It would be even more accurate if it showed the de-ice setup there as well.

On more than one occasion I've spent hours in an airliner at DTW waiting to be de-iced time and time again. The whole time I was often thinking that if I could just get back off the plane, I almost certainly could get home to Kentucky faster by renting a car and driving.

In fact, I finally decided getting to and parking at SDF early enough to go through TSA, boarding the plane, renting a car at DTW, driving to Auburn Hills, etc. was too much hassle. Then of course I had to reverse the whole process at DTW and SDF to come back.

Regardless of weather, I found it was usually quicker and a much less hassle trip in both directions if I just drove my company lease car to Auburn Hills and back to home.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

There are more de-ice areas set up now starting this winter.

That's certainly a good thing! The other issue has always been getting clearance and off the ground before another de-ice is needed.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 2 weeks later...
fsim_thumbup-logo.jpg :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , MS Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (a since 10:43 PM 7/24/2018). New 2019 "PATRIOT" Memory VIPER DDR3 8GB x2 XMP2.0

FSX SE "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

• 2 weeks later...