New Year

Mowgli22

Happy New Year to all simmers, young or old. Enjoy the experience. Having just reinstalled FS9 on my new computer I'm currently enjoying a flight from CYQT to CYYZ in the HJG Bae 146. Hope your New Year is everything you hope for. Cheers
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Welcome to another Niner returning to the fold! Happy New Year, and may your Sim journeys be free of incident! ;)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Welcome to another Niner returning to the fold! Happy New Year, and may your Sim journeys be free of incident! ;)

Cheers, Always enjoy a flight to or from KDEN.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Happy new year

Cheers, Hope it's a good one for you.

I'll tell you how happy it is when I'm done installing Windows 11.

In the process right now.

Happy New Year to those who are not in my situation. :cool:

Good luck Mark, hope all goes well.

Should all acquaintance be forgot in the days of old lang syne? Sure, what ever floats your boat.. LOL

Still floating, or should i say flying.

Haha, well, not the thread for a proper response. I don't know what Microsoft are thinking sometimes when they create operating systems. I swear they must drink at work.

Could well be, it's unfortunate but it is what it is.

I'll tell you how happy it is when I'm done installing Windows 11.

In the process right now.

Happy New Year to those who are not in my situation. :cool:

What?! W11?.

Legs eleven!! Winner winner chicken dinner. :)

Let us know how it goes…especially once you add FS9. There’s the litmus test.

Whoa…it’s been a day at least since Mark’s post.

“Big Rubber Ducky to Little Pig..over”.

Sorry, still here. I'm done installing operating systems, looking for all the problems and then spending hours fixing them. That's why I built PC's running Win7 and Win XP so anything that is best suited to those systems, goes on those systems. I'm just using Win 11 normally, when I come across a problem program, I'm not wasting any time fixing it, I'll just switch it to another PC.

Haven't tried FS yet. Opened it but that's all. It did open and appeared fine. I loaded a flight and it loaded fine.

The drinking comment was regarding the task bar. Microsoft have decided in order to have a clean/stylish looking UI, grouping icons on the taskbar should now be compulsory. There is no Windows option to ungroup them like you could every other operating system for ease and speed of use in the past. Wtf?

Now they are creating operating systems to look pretty over functionality. What is computing coming too? If we want pretty pretty, that's why we have something like a smartphone but let's leave computers to do more serious things than sit there and look pretty. (You can see where the MSFS ideas came from! lol)

I've also lost the ability to use a screensaver or use any of the power options. For example, if I want my screen to turn off after x amount of time.

This I quickly found is a common issue for many people with no fix. What is not stated on the internet that I found through fixing old games is that the problem goes as far back as Windows XP. The problem in past operating systems affected things in games but not the Windows screensaver/power options but I know this is the same thing.

It means it is almost certain Microsoft will not fix this screensaver/power option problem via a Win 11 update as people are hoping as they have clearly been unable to fix the relevant problem since Win XP!

Anyhow, as I've always said, Win 10 is junk, Win 11 looks worse. The other big issue is modern hardware and Win 11 are not playing nice with some older games that ran under Win 10. I'll be watching to see how any FS9 users get on in the future with the latest hardware running on Win 11. Win 10 killed some FS users, Win 11 may kill off quite a few more.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Happy New Year all...

Iv'e just got myself an Asus Ryzen 7 A15 laptop, Windows 11, with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 GPU, 16GB ram & 512GB SSB. It runs FS2004 & my particular addons perfectly, with no issues at all. It's my thing to run the latest hardware with the latest operating system.

I'm also running FS2004 from a 2TB (USB 3) portable hard drive as well. I've compared that with running off the SSD speed wise with regard to loading the software & it's much of a muchness.

As far as screensavers go, why not have a black screen acting as a saver? Thats the easiest way of doing it.

As far as having the screen turning off after a certain time.. In 'Settings>Power & battery, I can set my screen to turn off, or the laptop to enter sleep mode anywhere between 1 minute and 5 hours.

Long story short.. My Asus i5 laptop was stolen, hence my new laptop.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As far as screensavers go, why not have a black screen acting as a saver? Thats the easiest way of doing it.

As far as having the screen turning off after a certain time.. In 'Settings>Power & battery, I can set my screen to turn off, or the laptop to enter sleep mode anywhere between 1 minute and 5 hours.

Hi Robin,

As much a supporter of Win 10/11 as ever. :D

I can't set a black screensaver because it won't activate. It doesn't matter what screensaver I set, it won't activate. The power options don't work, they don't activate. Yes, I understand it is working for you but if it works for you doesn't mean there isn't a problem. It just means there is a different circumstance. I'll bet you don't have 4 controllers, USB keyboard and USB mouse plugged into your system. That will make a different circumstance. ;)

Hope all is well.

Mark Daniels

Hi Mark,

I agree, what works for me does not necessarily work for everyone else.

Otherwise all is well. I'm recovering nicely from being knocked over in March 2022 & subsequently loosing my right leg from below the knee. 7 surgeries & 3 kidney dialysis later, things are looking up!

Here's hoping that 2023 is going to be a better year than 2022!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mark,

Otherwise all is well. I'm recovering nicely from being knocked over in March 2022 & subsequently loosing my right leg from below the knee. 7 surgeries & 3 kidney dialysis later, things are looking up!

Shocked to read, that is very serious.

I wish you well Robin.

Mark Daniels

Hi Robin, glad you reminded us all of your bingle with a vehicle (machine 1, human 0). Your resilience is an inspiration. As I said in another post, for those of us who faced life-threatening issues in 2022, here's my wish for us - have a most boring 2023 with nothing significant happening!!! On a different note, isn't it a pain that one person's setup isn't the same as another person's setup, so the thousands of posts, Youtube videos etc., whilst helpful, if we try the advice and setup, for some mysterious reason it still might not work for us! Drat! Too many variables in the equation. Edited by MAD1

I started my Windows 10 adventure in VMware testing things out and monitoring the network. It's Windows 10 LTSC (an OS used by your doctor or dentist) I saw more telemetry going through the network then you can shake a stick at. Then I found something called Windows 10 AME which is a project of someone's or some peoples. AME strips damn near everything out even the update mechanism. It worked and everything, but I thought it to be waaay too minimized and the fact they used the hosts file to block IPs lead me to believe they don't know what they are doing. The hosts file is only to block domain to IP resolution. It does not block IPs directly. pfSense, OPNsense or third-party router firmware will do that. Even the old program Peerblock will do that on a layer 7 (application) level. But! Windows 10 comes with even more shenanigans. Look no further than the use of UEFI and the Windows Platform Binary Table. https://github.com/Jamesits/dropWPBT

To make a long story short... LOL I now use something called Tiny10. A guy on Twitter striped the crap out of it but still requires a product key so it's legit. Well, not really, but at least it needs the product key... So far I'm happy with it. There's no Facebook, Dropbox or other crap added to it. Not even Internet Explorer or Edge. This is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. There is a handful of IPs that still try to make contact to the outside world but I solved that crap at the router level for now. I have a mini PC I'm testing OPNsense on and I'll deploy that soon.

I find it nuts that every time I go to Personalize or the Control Panel for example a slew of IPs have to hit the Internet. I never saw that in Windows 7 or even XP. They both had some minor telemetry sans your installed programs, but nothing near the torrent of IP traffic I saw in Windows 10. I watched a few Windows 11 videos on YouStupid and just shook my head at the thought some low IQ chimp/s thought that crap up. Some carbon based human/s thought that crap up. This is true for the modern day mainstream browser and code for a lot of things in this day and age. It's completely backwards or I'm getting to be older, cranky old man. Well, I am. I still have wonderful memories of Windows 95 and Windows 98se with my space screen saver and its space sound effects...

It seems to me Microsoft is trying hard to make the computer OS a smart device OS. It's practically a mirror image of that platform and to me this is wrong. If they want to do that then at least make an OS for PCs (Personal Computer?) and smart devices. Don't take the lazy approach and lump all of the code into one platform. But I can quickly see the capital spent and whatnot for two versions. Especially support and QC. On the other hand, the demographic might be in their favor for PCs and smart devices because one of the biggest search engine hits I get at my website is: "why is Windows 10 a piece of s&*t?" I kid you not. I have a topic named that and I see a ton of Google hits from people looking for answers. I have some interesting information in that topic, too. Information that really underscores how Microsoft doesn't really care about customers it seems. I personally believe these asinine OSs and their boat ton of crap and IP telemetry makes YOU the cash cow - the product. That's why it was free. And nothing in life is free. Nothing. You or someone somehow directly or indirectly is paying for that "something." It's like the principal of work in, work out energy... You are the copper top, and Microsoft et al is the Matrix... LOL

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Hi Mark,

I'm terribly sorry you had to go through that. Never thought we'd be hit by a pandemic like this. My sister was in the ICU as well during that crap. She was at ground zero working at a retirement home.

Count your blessings, man. You've been given a second chance.

Thanks so much.. Actually my third chance..

A year before my accident, I ended up in hospital for two months with Covid.

Its great to be back simming. It's 3 months now that I'm out of hospital. I was in for 7 months.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks so much.. Actually my third chance..

A year before my accident, I ended up in hospital for two months with Covid.

Its great to be back simming. It's 3 months now that I'm out of hospital. I was in for 7 months.

The entire Niner Community is glad you're here, Robin! We're behind you 100%, and we've got your Six! :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks guys, I much appreciate your thoughts for me.

Here's hoping that 2023 will be great for all of us, as well as for all those that still support FS2004.

Glad to hear you're recovering well. Thanks for your help, i wouldn't have had such a smooth re-install without your guide. Cheers.