New Forum Software

Adrian K

This new format is not user friendly. I use Flightsim simply to browse for new FS2004 files and download if needed. I also like to browse what is new and available for the other versions MSFS, but this new format makes that almost impossible and time consuming. 

• Like 13
Rob

This new forum based set up is awful. For years I've logged in most days to get the latest news and press releases at www.flightsim.com. Now that's gone and instead of the user friendly front page with images there's just a list of articles by title buried in the forum structure.

The file library was like a database and had search tools and filters which worked. Now it appears you have to use a forum based search window. Forum searches are notoriously sensitive to exact wording, and without a host sim filter will return resutls for multiple categories you don't need.

This redesign is a huge step backwards and if things don't improve quickly users will abandon this site in droves.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I am taking JSMR's  and Dominic's comments to heart and also giving this a chance.

I've already asked for an upload to be moved to my account to see how that works.

Change is hard for everyone, especially old salts like me.

Looking forward to the dust settling and getting back to what this is all about, Having Fun and Sharing our appreciation of sim flying.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Files uploaded this morning and yesterday do not show on the new forum. (as the transition was in progress) . They will need to be re-submitted.

The new upload system has more flexibility. Files will now be under their owner's accounts (where they can update them, if necessary). Screenshots will be larger, etc.

thanks for your patience.

56 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I am taking JSMR's  and Dominic's comments to heart and also giving this a chance.

I've already asked for an upload to be moved to my account to see how that works.

Change is hard for everyone, especially old salts like me.

Looking forward to the dust settling and getting back to what this is all about, Having Fun and Sharing our appreciation of sim flying.

File moved to your account:|
You can upload new screenshots

Thanks Adrian for the quick response.

As for the web update, I think everyone needs to just have a little patience, and let all the changes get implemented. Then see what they like and don't and give "constructive" suggestions.

I hope to see less criticizing of peoples efforts and more assistance and suggestions. 

Happy simming to all!

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

This is absolutely horrible.  Either it's literally impossible to browse the library or it's so difficult that it's  practically impossible.  Either way, if this is how FlightSim is going to be, I won't be coming here anymore.  This reminds me of a wise old proverb - if it's not broken, don't fix it.  What existed previously worker perfectly and was easy and convenient to use.  The new site is total garbage.  Whoever is responsible for this debacle is in the wrong line of work and needs to be removed from the FS staff immediately.  They have turned one of the most useful flight sim sites into a real POS.  I'll check back in a week or so and if FlightSim still looks like this I will remove the link from my favorites menu and stick with SimV and AvSim to look for new planes and scenery.  I cannot finds words to adequately describe how utterly dismayed and disgusted I am.  The management of FlightSim should be embarrassed and ashamed.  I wish I could offer constructive criticism but this garbage is beyond repair.  The only criticism I can offer is destructive - put this mess in the trash where it belongs and go back to what we had before.

• Like 6

It is always hard to abandon old habits and learn and adapt to new ones. I use flightsim for 12 years now and was happy wit the old format but -- times are changing. As I understood it is not finalized yet, so I give it a chance. 

• Like 2

I've tried to search for a particular aircraft.

Looks like i will have to go through all the pages in that category to find it.

Also, I'm used to being able to search with a 'Complete Aircraft' option.

I don't see that option anymore.

PLEASE bring back to old format and leave it be.

Not sure I want to pay for a membership with this format.

• Like 2

Changing to a new format/layout (and using new software) is a huge undertaking.  I for one wish you guys all the best with the humongous work before you!

I did have to reregister because the email address that I registered with no longer exists.  No biggie.  I can post, I can download, that is the main thing.

It's still a work in progress, so I guess we'll see a lot of changes in the coming weeks/months.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Jan Dirckx
  • Like 2

Intel i7 9700K @ 5.4 GHz, be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard, VGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card, Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 😄 drive
Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive, be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I of course am willing to give this a chance and since I have been working with computers and databases for many years now I understand the complexity of the work. Just one question as an owner of many uploads here for the last almost 20 years (geez that long!!) do I have to write to the admin for each to move to my account one at a time or could you mass move them over.

--Doug Roth

• Like 2

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a little feedback on a couple of the processes, uploading files and user profile. The new format allows for much easier and intuitive uploading, and you can make updates even after it had been uploaded. Also, updating your profile, and tracking your own activities has also been made  easier to use.

Additionally, I find sorting who's online by "Logged In" gives you a list without the guests. 

These are tremendous improvements.

• Like 3

phrog x 2.jpg

I have the same question as douga66 - I have many files. And on top different versions of the same scenery. So should we report files one by one, one by one and only latest versions - or all in one list. On top, I created some intermediate versions just for myself. Therefore I can easily give a list of what I have on my computer, but not necessarily a list of what I uploaded.

So, Adrian, it would be nice if you could be a bit more specific, please. Thank you!

Other than that I am getting more and more familiar with the new lay-out. Curious to see, what is coming.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

1 hour ago, grimsel said:

I have the same question as douga66 - I have many files. And on top different versions of the same scenery. So should we report files one by one, one by one and only latest versions - or all in one list. On top, I created some intermediate versions just for myself. Therefore I can easily give a list of what I have on my computer, but not necessarily a list of what I uploaded.

So, Adrian, it would be nice if you could be a bit more specific, please. Thank you!

Other than that I am getting more and more familiar with the new lay-out. Curious to see, what is coming.

With the old system, I remind you that files were NOT linked to an author.  The author name was listed in the file description but the owner of the file was flightsim.com.

2 options:

1. Send me a list and I will place these files into your account
  2. Upload new files when you can and they will be listed under your account

In both cases files will be under your control: You can update them, upload new screenshots and comments about them with members.