New Forum Software

Adrian K

27 minutes ago, leuen said:
Where the hell is the view mode that shows the file contents?

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

that would be the 'download' button. Is there is only one file (zip), it will download it. If there are several files, they will be listed.

Cheers

umm , im kind of confused , i cant find anything , i hope the troubles can be solved , but i got a question , for example when others sites Like simv.. change a lot of files where lost , old files , that cant be found anymore in the web , good or bad , those files lost and i hope it doesn't happen here  

2 hours ago, leuen said:

Sorry Adrain, but I'm not satisfied with your reply. As like some other FS websites, FlightSim had a view mode allowing to open the folder content. I'm not going to download files which I eventually won't use, just to see what's inside. It's a regrettable and anoying step back! 

Bernard

Perhaps that's a feature yet to be implemented. I do hope it is because its a vital one to me as well. 

• Like 1

Well, at least this isn't Bozo Xenforo. I can't stand that forum software. This must be the first time I dealt with Invasion software before so it'll be interesting to see how they coded things. This forum was long overdue for an upgrade. Especially with the vulnerabilities that may have existed with the old forum software. Being a member of many forums for over a decade and how they've all upgraded over time, I always see these posts by people that complain right off the bat. It's just that this software desperately needed to upgrade and I bet the staff now have more security and options at their disposal to make this website even greater. Though, looking at Invison's cost I would have went phpBB myself (that's what I use) if possible since it's free and they do have a vBullletin database convertor. On the other hand, that could be a job and a half and there's no guarantee it won't mess up so you always have to make sure you have backups and test those backups.

So, I'm glad there's an upgrade and possible awesome new features . Right now I see I can attach 7z files which is just awesome since 7z offers waaaay better compression. To those that don't like this new forum software, like everything you need to learn it. It's like driving a new car or what ever. Perhaps in time you'll learn to like the new features and become accustomed to the forum and how it works. What I personally don't like is using the email to sign in rather than username. But I suppose that helps cut back on possible shenanigans. Thanks for the much needed update and I like the wealth of emoticons, or as the kids say now-a-days, "emoji." :classic_tongue:

By the way. I'm using the very niche browser Pale Moon and so far it's working fine.

PS:

No option for YouTube or other video embedding?

It appears the search box above to the right is pretty versatile. You should be able to chose the option "Files" and enter the author's name. But I just searched for a known author of DonaldLouisDerwin and found no files. So this may need to be ironed out.

Actually, if you search for the username ("Members") you can click the content box under his profile that shows up. https://forums.flightsim.com/search/?q=DonaldLouisDerwin&quick=1&type=core_members

Until authors start connecting their uploads to their accounts this is going to be an issue I think unless the author names auto populate over time. A custom script, add-on or extension to the forum might do that.

Some of the content which was moved to my account ended up as "FS2004 jetliners" instead of "MSFS scenery".

Is there a way for me to correct this or do I have to report issues like that to Adrian?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

I honestly think that people are very harsh to the admins.  Migrating a forum with download repository to new software is a huge undertaking.  And, as Adrian said, it's a work in progress.

Obviously there's loads of things that need ironing out, but these things take time.

Just my two cents worth of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 9700K @ 5.4 GHz, be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard, VGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card, Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 😄 drive
Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive, be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

You all must understand there is over 20 years of post and files and it takes time to put them all in order.  Please bear with us as we update and complete this migration. The code on the old site was very old and outdated. This was a needed change and in a short while you will find it to be every bit as friends as it always was..

Thanks for your understand while we go thru this very complex build. Its difficult to change the engine while in mid flight we may drop a tool or two in the process.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After reading Joe's reply to Adrien K's topic on new forum software, I feel more confident that the new format will be just as user friendly as the old on was. It will take time to get it there. That's understandable. No more bellyaching from me, at least until the process is complete.

I do hope that the aircraft pictures in the download files will show the complete aircraft and not just the mid section as it does now.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:33 PM, DominicS said:

As mentioned in the initial post, it will take several weeks to get things running smoothly, so please be patient.

Dominic,

That would be fair enough except nothing much works at all apart from the forum. It's very risky to relaunch such an iconic website, without any warning, having lost most of the functionality of the old website. It would have been better to beta test the new site offline and only launch it online when most things are up and running.

If you want people to be patient please provide some information about what is planned to be launched in the upcoming weeks. Users might be more understanding if they knew what was coming. Currently the only information from flightsim.com about the relaunch is the message on the forum opening page about logging in with your email address. I would expext a news article about this at the very least, ideally with a little advance notice to avoid nasty surprises. At the moment people like me are complaining impatiently because we don't know what your plans are.

Kevin

• Like 6

I'm also just going to be patient.  Hope the new staff  have thick skins. Thanks for your efforts so far.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

How long before the "Old" site will no longer be functioning?    May be time to give everyone still using it and scratching their heads about this site a fair warning!

Hearing lots of complaints from others that their email and user names aren't working to get signed on here!  

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Holy crap. What a change without any warning. I was not able to reach fligtsim.com in the last days in Austria, always get an 403 error. After using a VPN I came here and what I see is not very satisfying me. Changing to a software that looks like an alpha version for me is a no go. Sorry to say but I will not come back to this garbage. Luckily there a very good alternatives.

Finally was able to log in after it kept booting me out not knowing who I was. I must say the new site has a fresh look to it and I will be patient while the bugs are ironed out. My only criticism would be that you should have beta tested it with a number of users with a more finalized product before making this live. I trust you all will be hard at work smoothing out the bumps of this "beta" offering and I know it will make the users happy again. I'd also like to add that I really appreciate everything Flightsim has done for me freely all these years so I'm not gonna sweat these teething problems, as the service you have provided the community has been immeasurable.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

I received a notification, that somebody quoted me in a post. But: when I click on the link, I get the message, that I do not have permission to view the topic. When I search for the member name, I find him, but not the post.

Something to fix?

46 minutes ago, leuen said:

What about the selection "What's new?" for FS2004? I'm not going through all MSFS, P3D and FSX entries to search for eventual FS2004 addings!

Sorry, but have a look at Avism, SOH or Simviation how a site could be done user friendly.

Bernard

How about: "Browse" - "Downloads" - and then: from the categories on the right hand side, select the 2004 category, you're interested in. Isn't that, what you are looking for?