New Forum Software

Adrian K

@leuen - you are right, via the Browse button you need to check all sub-categories one by one. So this would be an item for the wish list - for example: by clicking the main category (for you that would be "F2004 (ACOF)") get all entries of all sub-categories uploaded during the past 30 days (currently, clicking there gives you the message, that the category is empty).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

21 minutes ago, Tom Gibson said:

As grimsel says, it appears you will now need to select each FS2004 category you are interested in and look for the first few files, which will be the newest.

We can improve that with landing pages for each section. Will be done in a few days

• Like 2

This revision is an abomination.  I was told to log in with my email address, and not the user name I've used for years and years.  I did that, but used the password associated with my user name.  I'm not even sure I am logged in.  I guess I'll know if this post appears in the forum.

I have enjoyed flightsim.com for years.  It was easy to search for topics, go to the store, etc., and see what's cooking in the forums.  No more.  Everything was OK.  As someone else said here, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the guys who have been flighsimming for a long time - 25+ years in my case, there were places solid as a rock. 

I just visited CalClassic.com and there it is! ..... Like it has been since the first time I visited it. It is, of course, not just a matter of time, or longevity (although longevity means tons in this hobby) ... but the *awsomeness* is still there; the wonderful files, the criteria, the texts, the explanations, the chats, the support!

FlightSim.Com was for me, until a couple of days ago, one of those places. I've been away for a few months; yesterday I came here in search of that awsomeness as I did countless times over the years:  ... The latest files, the incredible search criteria you were able to setup to get *exactly* what you wanted. FlighSim.Com and AvSim.Com used to be in a league of their own when it came to search capabilites.

(Note that I am still hoping that this is just a stage, and that things will be not only as they wnere but also much better! ... otherwise change doesn't mean a thing)

So, I headed to the files section/library/forum(?)... I'm looking for my files, the ones I've been uploading since 2000. There's no way I can do that now (or haven't yet found it)... because now all categories are split AND unconnected. I sent a mail requesting that connection (per this new site's suggestion) , and the answer was thanfully quick. .. the problem was the result is a mess: now I have countless files under my name that are from other authors whom, for instance, used one of my paint kits.. Nothing before 2004 shows in that connection but I've been uploading I guess since FS98..

So, I can I find my files, as an author, in a single query page?

If I want to find "complete aircraft packs" across severy platforms, say from FS2002 to FSX, how can I do that?

If I want to check a readme.txt inside a zip without actually downloading the file, is it possible?

I spent *hours* finetuning screenshots to better display the contents of my files, where are they now?

Where are all other guys' screenshots? 

The file library, right now, doesn't make any sense and - personally - that was the heart of the old site. Plus that great welcome page, like a good'ol newspaper, will all the things that mattered.. where's that now?

FlightSim.Com could very well be the world's most comprehensive flightsim resource.. I fear that it is all gone now...

Hope not.

• Thanks 2

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Just a heads up, all the links from freeware scenery are now no longer valid and thats just one site. dont know how many more sites link to downloads here but i'm sure there all bad links now. I for one do not like the new set up and am fixing to leave. aleast i still have AVSIM. but thanks for all the years, its been great.

@deckr This software is very similar to the AVSIM site.  I'm thinking that the change was necessary because of site security issues.  If anyone uses the Simouthouse site, it uses the same software as the old flightsim.com but is NOT a secure site...no https://.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

How do you find current flight sim news that was part of the front page of the old site? That was my favorite read.....seeing what came out recently and news that happened within hours of it being released? I have already gone days without coming to this new site after going to the old one several times every day.

Edited by Chappie88

The home page has "Recent Uploads," "Latest Posts." and lists of all the forums with their most recent comment date.

I find this easy to use since I scroll to the forum topics of interest with ease.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, deckr said:

Just a heads up, all the links from freeware scenery are now no longer valid and thats just one site. ...   I for one do not like the new set up and am fixing to leave. At least I still have AVSIM. but thanks for all the years, its been great.

I attempted to download scenery from several sections, FXX, 2004, etc., and they all worked.

For me, I look at all the sites as not just competition, but also as companion sites to the betterment of the sim flying community, There are those who prefer one over another, and within each of the sim sites I find various articles and downloads that may not be on another. My preference is for FlightSim, but I also visit the other sites periodically to see what's happening across our sim community.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 minute ago, mrzippy said:

I saw a post in the FSX forum by a "Guest"??  Non members are allowed to post?  Also not seeing a "Report" button to report suspect posts!

Good points zippy, especially on the report button. Keeping the forums focused and helpful is best.

phrog x 2.jpg

44 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I attempted to download scenery from several sections, FXX, 2004, etc., and they all worked.

For me, I look at all the sites as not just competition, but also as companion sites to the betterment of the sim flying community, There are those who prefer one over another, and within each of the sim sites I find various articles and downloads that may not be on another. My preference is for FlightSim, but I also visit the other sites periodically to see what's happening across our sim community.

Likewise.
I'm giving it time and have started to like the new format. Feels fresh and new. 
The file download page is also warming on me. 

Patience young grass hoppers.  

51 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

I saw a post in the FSX forum by a "Guest"??  Non members are allowed to post?  Also not seeing a "Report" button to report suspect posts!

Tx Zippy.

Both fixed.

As said earlier, it will take a while to have everything dialed in. thanks for your patience.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, maddog80 said:

As my dad used to say.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.

PLUS 1!!  Having said that, it's probably too late to go the other way!  HOW DO I FIND THE OLD FORUM TOPICS SUCH AS SCREENSHOTS?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

1 hour ago, Rupert said:

PLUS 1!!  Having said that, it's probably too late to go the other way!  HOW DO I FIND THE OLD FORUM TOPICS SUCH AS SCREENSHOTS?

Michael, from the Main Forums page, scroll down and you will see the screenshots and videos forums.

3 hours ago, Adrian K said:

Tx Zippy.

Both fixed.

As said earlier, it will take a while to have everything dialed in. thanks for your patience.

Thanks!  I noticed it was in the ... area!

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

The home page has "Recent Uploads," "Latest Posts." and lists of all the forums with their most recent comment date.

I find this easy to use since I scroll to the forum topics of interest with ease.

So Forums is where I find the latest news? For example, lets just say the newest FS Traffic program gets released for MSFS. Where would I see the news article that it has been released with a short write up....like we always saw on the front page of the old site?

Ok, update - good news.

Now I was able to search the file library (download portal now) and all my files came up. Across all simulators starting with FS2000. 

Not sure if I missed this yesterday or if it is already a fix (I think so) but, in any case, thank you.

Missing:

The ability to exclude a word/words ... like "textures only".

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

1 hour ago, Chappie88 said:

So Forums is where I find the latest news? For example, lets just say the newest FS Traffic program gets released for MSFS. Where would I see the news article that it has been released with a short write up....like we always saw on the front page of the old site?

Good question, something to ask the admins here. I don't focus on payware so I don't find this an issue. 

phrog x 2.jpg