Fenix A320 low FPS

Hello,

I have a problem related to the FPS with Fenix Sim A320. When I load a flight I can't get more than 15 fps (for example iniBuilds EGLL is running around 10-15 FPS and on Gaya Simulations LOWW I have terrible 5 FPS maximum also with other aircrafts). I tried almost everything including setting TLOD at 50 and still no change. Also my memory is at 75%+.

Any ideas what's wrong?

My pc specs: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, Intel Core i5-11400F, ASUS Tuf Gaming B650M-Plus WiFi, Corsair 16 GB KIT DDR 4 320p MHz  CL16, WD Blue SN570 1 TB.

All the best

Tom

You're probably not going to like this Tom, but I would suggest reducing your graphics settings. As a test, in General Options / Graphics, set the GLOBAL RENDERING QUALITY to "High" then save the setting (don't change anything else) and then do a test flight from EGLL to LOWW in the Fenix A320.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

You're probably not going to like this ... , but I would suggest reducing your graphics settings.

Tiger, This is sage advice to all of us no matter what computer or which FS version we use.

I'd love to have the sliders at max for everything, but have made appropriate compromises so that I get enough of the eye candy I want, while keeping FPS reasonably high.

Personally, except of screenshots, the reality of the flight characteristics take precedence above all.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

15 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

You're probably not going to like this Tom, but I would suggest reducing your graphics settings. As a test, in General Options / Graphics, set the GLOBAL RENDERING QUALITY to "High" then save the setting (don't change anything else) and then do a test flight from EGLL to LOWW in the Fenix A320.

I tried your solution and it worked quite well. At a Global Render Quality set to medium, I was able to get around 25 FPS with Fenix A320 on LOWW, which is totally acceptable. But I am still pretty upset, that I cannot fly with Global Render Quality set to High or Ultra considering my PC isn't the worst. 

I guess I'll have to get used to performance over quality,

Thanks, Tiger!

Try this. Drop your monitor refresh rate to 33%, Anisotropic filtering to 8X, Texture supersampling to 4X4, and cubemap reflections to 128. You may not notice a quality difference but much less demand on system. If your monitor refresh rate is 144 or greater, you are still seeking 48 fps, more than enough.  

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

On 1/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, tiger1962 said:

On 1/21/2023 at 1:48 PM, plainsman said:

Try this. Drop your monitor refresh rate to 33%, Anisotropic filtering to 8X, Texture supersampling to 4X4, and cubemap reflections to 128. You may not notice a quality difference but much less demand on system. If your monitor refresh rate is 144 or greater, you are still seeking 48 fps, more than enough.  

Update:

I had a turnaround flight Vienna - Genoa - Vienna. Departure from Vienna went pretty smooth, turnaruond in Genoa was flawless but the arrival into Vienna was......simply terrible. As I approached Vienna's airspace, my FPS dropped to around 5, so I lowered Global Render Quality (GRQ) from medium to low-end, which is lowest possible GRQ. On short final I had around 1-2 FPS (you can see them in the top left corner). I also recorded it, so you can better imagine this situation:

This kind of behaviour is only at Gaya's LOWW. I don't know what else to do...

I would think you should get more FPS than that, but I usually stick to G/A planes.

One help is the FPS counter in developer mode, which also indicates the current bottleneck in your system. It's normally either "GPU Limited" or "Mainthread Limited".

So I would suggest, just as a test, to turn off both Vsync (which I know was broken at some point) and the framerate limit. Then do your flight with developer mode on and enable the FPS display. Depending on whether it shows "GPU Limited" or "Mainthread Limited", we'll know where the bottleneck is.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

1 hour ago, KiloWatt said:

he framerate limit. Then do your flight with developer mode on and enable the FPS display. Depending on whether it shows "GPU Limited" or "Mainthread Limited", we'll know where the bottleneck is.

It is varying between "Limited by MainThread", "Limited by GPU" and "Limited by Manipulators" but it's changing rapidly so it's hard to tell.

Honestly I have no idea what it means.

1 hour ago, Hilfinger81 said:

Update:

I had a turnaround flight Vienna - Genoa - Vienna. Departure from Vienna went pretty smooth, turnaruond in Genoa was flawless but the arrival into Vienna was......simply terrible.

This is a known flaw with MSFS and many other people have reported drastic FPS drops on return flights. The consensus is to restart the sim before making the return flight, but there is one other adjustment you could make if you're using DX12 and DLSS - switch back to DX11 and TAA.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

45 minutes ago, Hilfinger81 said:

It is varying between "Limited by MainThread", "Limited by GPU" and "Limited by Manipulators" but it's changing rapidly so it's hard to tell.

Honestly I have no idea what it means.

That's rough, so both the CPU and GPU a struggling. Did it make any difference when you switched off Vsync and the framerate limiter?

Random thought, is xmp enabled on your system? If your memory is heavily used, it could set you back a bit if xmp isn't enabled.

How is your performance affected when doing this flight with the Vanilla A320? What other mods are you using?

33 minutes ago, tiger1962 said:

This is a known flaw with MSFS and many other people have reported drastic FPS drops on return flights. The consensus is to restart the sim before making the return flight, but there is one other adjustment you could make if you're using DX12 and DLSS - switch back to DX11 and TAA.

I am using DX11 and TAA. 

I also experienced similar behaviour when doing only one way flight. 

15 minutes ago, Hilfinger81 said:

I also experienced similar behaviour when doing only one way flight. 

Hmmm, earlier you said this only happened at Gaya LOWW, do you have the latest version (2.0.0) installed? 

10 minutes ago, KiloWatt said:

That's rough, so both the CPU and GPU a struggling. Did it make any difference when you switched off Vsync and the framerate limiter?

Random thought, is xmp enabled on your system? If your memory is heavily used, it could set you back a bit if xmp isn't enabled.

How is your performance affected when doing this flight with the Vanilla A320? What other mods are you using?

Affirm, the Vsync and framerate limiter were turned off.

I don't know whether I have enabled xmp, at least I know I haven't enabled it.

I don't really think, that it's Fenix A320 problem, because it was running smooth 30 FPS when landing in Genoa without any lags or stutters, even in crosswind. But the Gaya's LOWW is really hurting my FPS, but only, when I'm inbound. When spawning in LOWW to fly as an outbound flight, it seems to run OK I guess.

Now I tried to spawn with vanilla A320 on LOWW and max FPS were around 10-12 and my memory was on 90% occupied. I don't know what happened, it wasn't always like this. Maybe I'll restart MSFS and try it again.

Just now, tiger1962 said:

Hmmm, earlier you said this only happened at Gaya LOWW, do you have the latest version (2.0.0) installed? 

Nope, sadly Gaya Simulations weren't able to update LOWW on marketplace so I'm running the older version, but I highly doubt that older version can cause that much trouble. Especially when it was running better before, I used to fly during crowded events on Vatsim and no problems, didn't even realised when it started to fall apart like this.

The new version 2.0.0 includes a couple of important performance improvements:

Version 2.0.0:

• New true-to-life jetways models for all terminals with all new billboards and advertising
  • New Gaya GSE: beautiful and fully custom Vienna-specific ground service equipment
  • Overhauled object placement throughout the airport, improving visuals and accuracy
  • Fixed AI traffic (FSLTL)
  • Fixed AFCAD for AI traffic
  • Fixed taxiway lights, including the addition of orange and blue lights in the W area
  • Static AI removed
  • Fixed TIN/Imagery bug from World Update 6
  • Added Solar Farm south of RWY11/29
  • Added LODs to all objects
  • Optimized normal map sizes for Xbox compatibility
  • Fixed missing parking positions and improved spawn positions
  • Fixed vegetation to fit new satellite imagery
  • Fixed some terraforming issues
  • Many quality of life fixes, such as fence placement, jetblast fences, taxi signs, etc.
  • Supporting an on release community-made GSX profile

Until this update appears in the Marketplace, maybe deleting your Rolling Cache and then re-creating it would help?

15 minutes ago, tiger1962 said:

The new version 2.0.0 includes a couple of important performance improvements:

Version 2.0.0:

• New true-to-life jetways models for all terminals with all new billboards and advertising
  • New Gaya GSE: beautiful and fully custom Vienna-specific ground service equipment
  • Overhauled object placement throughout the airport, improving visuals and accuracy
  • Fixed AI traffic (FSLTL)
  • Fixed AFCAD for AI traffic
  • Fixed taxiway lights, including the addition of orange and blue lights in the W area
  • Static AI removed
  • Fixed TIN/Imagery bug from World Update 6
  • Added Solar Farm south of RWY11/29
  • Added LODs to all objects
  • Optimized normal map sizes for Xbox compatibility
  • Fixed missing parking positions and improved spawn positions
  • Fixed vegetation to fit new satellite imagery
  • Fixed some terraforming issues
  • Many quality of life fixes, such as fence placement, jetblast fences, taxi signs, etc.
  • Supporting an on release community-made GSX profile

Until this update appears in the Marketplace, maybe deleting your Rolling Cache and then re-creating it would help?

Not a big difference. It looks like I have to wait for version 2.0.0. But hopefully my problem wont remain with this update (if they update it).

Thanks for your help, Tiger!

6 hours ago, Hilfinger81 said:

Update:

I had a turnaround flight Vienna - Genoa - Vienna. Departure from Vienna went pretty smooth, turnaruond in Genoa was flawless but the arrival into Vienna was......simply terrible. As I approached Vienna's airspace, my FPS dropped to around 5, so I lowered Global Render Quality (GRQ) from medium to low-end, which is lowest possible GRQ. On short final I had around 1-2 FPS (you can see them in the top left corner). I also recorded it, so you can better imagine this situation:

This kind of behaviour is only at Gaya's LOWW. I don't know what else to do...

Damn that's horrible. I would've exited out and redid the flight fresh.  No way could I land with those frames!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

On 1/23/2023 at 8:51 PM, kingnorris said:

Damn that's horrible. I would've exited out and redid the flight fresh.  No way could I land with those frames!

On 1/23/2023 at 3:57 PM, tiger1962 said:

Update:

I was doing single flight Cairo - Vienna, everything was running smooth during the whole flight. But as I approached LOWW, FPS went back to crap. I had around 10 FPS, which was a bit higher then the time I did a return flight, but with lot of stutters that were jumping to around 2-3 FPS, so it was still unenjoyable and partially unplayable. So restarting sim on a way back isn't a solution.

The worst thing about this is, that LOWW is my base. Well I guess there's no help for me.

That's just disgusting. On DX12, Halifax Stanfield (3rd party version) does the same to me. But in that case, the problem is obvious: A bug in the DX12 implimentation of the game tries to allocate something like 7 GB of video memory to a 6 GB card.  In fact, all detailed airports do that, but it's especially bad at CYHZ.

Though I think you mentioned that you're using DX11, so obviously not the same bug.

Hope it gets resolved, pronto.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilfinger81 said:

The worst thing about this is, that LOWW is my base. Well I guess there's no help for me.

If you're also using GSX, that can add thousands of ground objects at big International airports which will kill FPS just as you're experiencing and so will AI ground traffic - this slider needs to be low enough to show just a few parked aircraft, and not a crowded airport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 6:33 PM, KiloWatt said:

That's just disgusting. On DX12, Halifax Stanfield (3rd party version) does the same to me. But in that case, the problem is obvious: A bug in the DX12 implimentation of the game tries to allocate something like 7 GB of video memory to a 6 GB card.  In fact, all detailed airports do that, but it's especially bad at CYHZ.

Though I think you mentioned that you're using DX11, so obviously not the same bug.

Hope it gets resolved, pronto.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:41 PM, tiger1962 said:

If you're also using GSX, that can add thousands of ground objects at big International airports which will kill FPS just as you're experiencing and so will AI ground traffic - this slider needs to be low enough to show just a few parked aircraft, and not a crowded airport.

Update:

Hello, fellow pilots,

I have good news. I've resolved the issue.

The problem was caused by a third party Vienna city scenery which was too heavy for system to handle, that's why it was only doing on LOWW. After removing it, I completed a flight (Warsaw - Vienna) with Fenix A320 and everything went smoothly, FPS were great, like on any other airport. There is still a bit of small stuttering, but it's totally flyable. 

Anyway, I would like to thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Happy and smooth landings.

Cheers!

• Like 1