Can't install FSX to my new computer with no optical drive!

mllgrennman

The only reason im concerned about that is because I have years of FSX Deluxe/Acceleration add-ons that some may not work in steam...and steam also has fewer compatible new adds on to chose from...I forgot to mention that I have W11...maybe that has something to do it?

You could pick up an external optical drive -- they're not expensive, and I occasionally find a need for a DVD drive for other than the sim, so perhaps that would help you.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

33 minutes ago, Barkingside said:

I haven't come across a single FSX Gold addon that does not work on FSXSE. It would be interesting to see a list. 

Very minor but, Flight 1's Sound Stream.  Don't think it's sold anymore.. 

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel

I'm looking for a "fix" for FSX Accel I've used in the past. It was a modified config file that eliminated the disk 2 message. If/when I find it I will post here.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

5 hours ago, Barkingside said:

I haven't come across a single FSX Gold addon that does not work on FSXSE. It would be interesting to see a list. 

Probably the biggest issue with the Steam edition was that you could install it alongside the original boxed version. In this case the Steam Edition would create separate config and registry settings that add-ons, mostly commercial ones, wouldn't recognize without an update. If you only installed FSX SE on the computer, it would create identical config and registry to the boxed version and would essentially appear identical to add-ons.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:54 PM, mrzippy said:

I'd toss the discs and purchase FSX-SE from the Steam Store!

I held on to the FSX disks for ages but had all my other games on Steam.

When FSX:SE appeared I jumped on it and tossed the discs. That was my last game with DVDs and I cant imagine how I tolerated those fragile shiny things!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Throttle_Up said:

tossed the discs

I am personally glad I still have my FSX Gold on disks. Just pop into drive and go. Don't see what the problem with that is. And not dependent on my ISP or modem/router. I think this shows the best part of our community, we have myriad ways to access and enjoy.

A portable DVD RW USB drive costs $20-$30. I get to keep using all the DVDs I've bought through the years.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:00 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

I am personally glad I still have my FSX Gold on disks.

used to fly with FS, 2002/2004/X in the old Windows days. After change to Ubuntu, I left flight sim for a long time, till I found Steam. That worked for a time, though has some deviations from what I remember. Anyway at one point Steam blocked me, from playing FSX_SE and I still have not found a remedy 😠

So I found the old dvd's , tried FS2004, as this was a genuine MS purchase. But the discs were showing a reading error and I could not load. So I got my FSX alternative and that loaded fine. Now playing for the last 3 months FSX and picking up the skills again. Always good to keep the discs, be it that apparently discs do not have the eternal life.. 

On 1/30/2023 at 11:00 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

I am personally glad I still have my FSX Gold on disks. Just pop into drive and go. Don't see what the problem with that is. And not dependent on my ISP or modem/router. I think this shows the best part of our community, we have myriad ways to access and enjoy.

A portable DVD RW USB drive costs $20-$30. I get to keep using all the DVDs I've bought through the years.

Of course 🙂, nothing is wrong with using DVDs,

I personally found them a hassle. It seemed no matter how careful I was that they'd get scratched! This was my biggest gripe! I always held them from the middle and the edge, never touching the surface. But the scratch gremlins came anyway.! Same with my music CDs, sold all of them since I can find them all free on YT, all uploaded in high rez.

On another note you can play FSX on Steam even if the net is down. Steam will start in Offline Mode.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, ardsur said:

used to fly with FS, 2002/2004/X in the old Windows days. After change to Ubuntu, I left flight sim for a long time, till I found Steam. That worked for a time, though has some deviations from what I remember. Anyway at one point Steam blocked me, from playing FSX_SE and I still have not found a remedy 😠

So I found the old dvd's , tried FS2004, as this was a genuine MS purchase. But the discs were showing a reading error and I could not load. So I got my FSX alternative and that loaded fine. Now playing for the last 3 months FSX and picking up the skills again. Always good to keep the discs, be it that apparently discs do not have the eternal life.. 

Why would Steam block you like that? Did you contact them?

1 hour ago, Throttle_Up said:

no matter how careful I was that they'd get scratched!

This issue; which version, and DVD vs. streaming, again highlights to me the best part of our flight sim community. There are myriad ways to participate and enjoy. One version is not any better or any worse than any other, as long as the sim pilot is moving virtual aircraft through virtual skies. And the extent that some use the platform to operate ships and ground vehicles highlights the breath and scope of our community. Lets not confuse preference with value to the user. And I can say that I have been lucky to have never had a CD or DVD get scratched.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg