Silent ATC problem

If you use the default ATC you've probably experienced this at some time - it works perfectly well and then it suddenly goes silent and you can only read the messages in the ATC window and hear your own pilot or co-pilot's replies.

Sound issues like this in earlier sims have usually been due to the CPU becoming overloaded, so careful adjustment of graphics settings and FPS limits were the only cure. This certainly helps in MSFS, but it's not a complete cure so most people report it to Zendesk as a bug.

I think I may have found a cure which is nothing to do with MSFS itself, but the Windows Sounds settings. My PC has an onboard Creative Soundblaster chip which I've set as the default sound device in Windows and in MSFS. I also have an nVidia GTX2060 graphics card and the nVidia drivers always include sound drivers for my Acer monitor, which doesn't even have built-in speakers. I wondered whether MSFS was getting confused about which device to use when ATC sound stopped working, so I disabled all the NVIDIA High Definition Audio devices in my Sounds options window:

spacer.png

Since disabling all other audio devices except the default, I have completed several 2 and 3 hour flights with ATC working perfectly for the entire flight - I'd be very interested to know if this also works for you.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

18 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

If you use the default ATC you've probably experienced this at some time - it works perfectly well and then it suddenly goes silent and you can only read the messages in the ATC window and hear your own pilot or co-pilot's replies.

Sound issues like this in earlier sims have usually been due to the CPU becoming overloaded, so careful adjustment of graphics settings and FPS limits were the only cure. This certainly helps in MSFS, but it's not a complete cure so most people report it to Zendesk as a bug.

I think I may have found a cure which is nothing to do with MSFS itself, but the Windows Sounds settings. My PC has an onboard Creative Soundblaster chip which I've set as the default sound device in Windows and in MSFS. I also have an nVidia GTX2060 graphics card and the nVidia drivers always include sound drivers for my Acer monitor, which doesn't even have built-in speakers. I wondered whether MSFS was getting confused about which device to use when ATC sound stopped working, so I disabled all the NVIDIA High Definition Audio devices in my Sounds options window:

spacer.png

Since disabling all other audio devices except the default, I have completed several 2 and 3 hour flights with ATC working perfectly for the entire flight - I'd be very interested to know if this also works for you.

Interesting.   I have had better luck since I changed the ATC to text setting from 'Azure' to 'Offline' in the Sounds options menu.   The voices are kind of annoying, but I haven't had the problem of voices completely disappearing ever since.  I'm going to try your solution and see if it will work with the Azure sounds.  Part of my problem is likely that I have a crappy 5 MBPS DSL connection.

A further update to this issue:

Even with the above mentioned settings, the ATC voices would still cut out at some point during a flight so I had to dig deeper...

My PC has an onboard Creative Soundblaster chip, and of course I made sure I had the latest drivers and software (the control panel or whatever - with the EQ and Effects settings). However, these drivers and software haven't been updated by Creative for a few years, so I had a decision to make...

I decided to uninstall all my Creative drivers and software, re-start the PC and let Windows 10 find it's own drivers, which it did. I also uninstalled a Windows 10 codec pack I'd installed just in case.

This left me with tinny sounds, to my ears, not enough bass - if you right-click on speaker icon next to your System Tray, you'll see the 'Spatial Sound' option. The Windows Sonic enhancement is pretty good, and free of course, but I selected Dolby Atmos and ended up buying it - it's fully compatible with Microsoft Flight Simulator, launches with Windows automatically and has four pre-sets plus three custom pre-sets to choose from or configure yourself. I stuck with the Game pre-set and it sounds FANTASTIC on headphones in MSFS, watching streaming videos and playing my rock and blues mp3 collection.

But what about ATC sound cutting out?

It doesn't. For the last week I've Wander'd lonely as a... Chinese weather balloon(!) on 2 and 3 hour flights mostly; I've had no ATC sound losses whatsoever - and I've tried REALLY hard, believe me.

Therefore I can conclude that disabling all other sound devices except the one you're actually using, and using the Windows drivers and Windows recommended sound enhancements is a definite cure for ATC sound issues.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 8 months later...

Interesting. I have a situation where I will fly to one destination and then return and I lose either the pilot's voice or atc on the return flight. None of the options above help as they are either unavailable or set properly. The only thing I haven't checked is under the assistance options that ropipo suggested. I'll do that next time I take off.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a few threads about this and closely related ATC faults on the official MSFS Forum, which have now been amalgamated into one.

Despite many posts that someone has "done this", the fault has "gone away" so this "must be the problem", in fact it is such a random fault that AFAIK there is still not a definitive cause or cure - even MS/|Asobo are still working on it. I've had the fault a few times but then it's disappeared for weeks, only to suddenly strike again for no apparent reason.

My opinion is that it is somewhere in the Azure section of the sim that is unstable and as the devs cannot replicate it, it is impossible to identify where the problem lies. My guess is that there will be a sudden "hey guess what guys, we found it" moment or we'll have to wait for MSFS2024. Unless they port the ATC over - no, no, no Asobo, don't do it!!!

I've had this issue a few times. Each time it was when I was using an add-on that also introduced audio into the mix,

Such as SLC, LukeAirTool or FS2Crew.

I'm not 100% that this is the cause - some sort of 'audio conflict' - but definitely seems to be the issue for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was supposed to be fixed in the latest update but I am still experiencing the issue. Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

• 2 weeks later...

After restarting the sim after the update, the second restart seems to have resolved the issue. 

Since flying the newly acquired PMDG 737, I don't even use the ATC anymore; just listen as they talk to other aircraft. (So it's not so quiet lol) but it's always been a bit off as far as giving me directions, so it isn't missed.

• Like 1
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

52 minutes ago, kingnorris said:

Since flying the newly acquired PMDG 737, I don't even use the ATC anymore; just listen as they talk to other aircraft. (So it's not so quiet lol) but it's always been a bit off as far as giving me directions, so it isn't missed.

I think one of the benchmarks in FlightSim is ATC that tries as hard as possible to mess you up or get you into trouble. They won't give you the Runway you want, put you on an Approach with the wind instead of into it... 🙄

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

47 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I think one of the benchmarks in FlightSim is ATC that tries as hard as possible to mess you up or get you into trouble. They won't give you the Runway you want, put you on an Approach with the wind instead of into it... 🙄

“You are 45 miles south. Descend and maintain 3000 feet…”

while I’m currently at 32,000 feet.

talk about a rapid ear exploding descent… lol

• Like 1
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, kingnorris said:

Remember the Mantra...

"It's As Real As It Gets!"

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, kingnorris said:

In real flying, I was cleared in a C-12 (KingAir) from FL220 to my destination (Iwakuni Japan) when DIRECTLY over the field. And, told to maintain speed.

That was a fun, fun ,fun, decent.

Power to idle, push nose over, redline all the way to 3000', call tower and cleared to land.

Wish I could get that clearance again! 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 1 month later...

There's a YouTube video of ATC Audio at Kennedy, it's late at night and by the sounds of it, pretty quiet night. JALCargo 747 gets Clearance from Approach, the Pilot requests a different Runway 'cause the JALCargo Ramp is at the end of the Runway he wants. Approach gives him the Runway; sounds like the 747 has to make a pretty tight turn to Runway heading. Pilot asks Tower how tight he needs to make the Turn, Approach tells him "Whatever you think looks good; I'm just gonna stand here and watch you do your thing. Looks like it's gonna be a heck of a Show!"

Or another one in Philadelphia (I think) where they were towing the aircraft carrier USS forestall up the river to Port, and the Approach to KPHL was on the same Heading. Approach would call to incoming Aircraft and end each radio call with "Call The Ball". Most responded with "Roger Ball".

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG