TBM 930 Autopilot Malfunction

I am having issues with the autopilot. Everytime I try to turn the autopilot on, the annunciator will blink on, then blink off. When I turn it on in flight it will not stay on course or hold altitude. The plane rolls to the right and will crash unless I fly it manually. 

madmav24

Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

I found this post so this must be a common issue since 02/22.

Is it just me or is everyone having problems with the sim. My planes will not fly with the auto pilots. Especially the longitude, TBM and Cessna 182. When the autopilot is turned on it might or might not fly ok for a short time. It always ends up in a hard turn and goes out of control and will end up crashing into the ground if you don’t stop it and sometimes you can’t stop it. Seems that it has been this way since update 7. I have tried it with and without any addons.

Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

17 hours ago, LouisBob11 said:

I have the same issue with all the planes with G1000/G3000 . 

If I remember correctly there might be some mods for the G1000 (could be mistaken though, coffee is still working on me, lol)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

At one time MSFS 2020 was a sim I liked to fly. But now it is a Royal Pain In My Butt. Once you solve one problem then another problem pops up. The autopilot now goes crazy when you reach the first waypoint. It goes off course and no matter how many times you mash the Auto Pilot button and NAV it will not follow the course. The CDI changes and you bring in back to GPS. It still will not follow the course if you manually fly the course and try to bring on course. It will not follow the course and the ILS is shot as well. Maybe one day they will actually fix this sim where the instrument flying works and forget about the graphics.

Madmav24

I can fly the same flight in the Beechcraft Baron and have no instrument flying problems at all. So the problem is with the TBM 930.

Madmav24

The Working Title GNS530 was installed by default along with SU10 and it plays havoc with 3rd party aircraft's avionics, it may do the same with the default aircraft too - most of mine are modded to the eye teeth so I have hardly any 'default' aircraft to test this on! I uninstalled the Working Title GNS530 and use the PMS GNS530 mod instead, which is compatible with all aircraft. 

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

The Working Title GNS530 was installed by default along with SU10 and it plays havoc with 3rd party aircraft's avionics, it may do the same with the default aircraft too - most of mine are modded to the eye teeth so I have hardly any 'default' aircraft to test this on! I uninstalled the Working Title GNS530 and use the PMS GNS530 mod instead, which is compatible with all aircraft. 

Thanks Tim. I will keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Currently flying the default TBM. No addons to my sim. After setting the altitude you need to select VS. After adjusting that the aircraft will fly to the selected altitude then it will select the ALT hold button one reached that altitude.

Good day everyone!

Until yesterday, I haven't had any issues with the autopilot functions.  However, yesterday every aircraft I tried flying has done exactly what MadMav24 posted:  Plane will fly normally with the autopilot engaged for some time (I'm usually in cockpit view at this time). The very moment I click the side button of my joystick to switch to chase plane view, the autopilot then disengages, and then throws the plane into a violent and sudden spiral to the ground.  So far, this has happened with the Carenado PC-12, NG Emb-110, and default Bonanza.

On a more positive note, I seem to have figured out how to tame the fluttering rudder issue.  Under the controls settings for my Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick, I disabled the rudder reverse axis function, as that's now handled by the Thrustmaster rudder pedals that I installed a while back.  Flying without autopilot is a lot more stable now.  But it's very strange that the autopilot is now behaving this way, since it never did that before (and it started doing it just yesterday - before I changed the sidestick settings).  I did try removing all assignments for autopilot commands on the sidestick, but to no avail.

Oh, for the love!

27 minutes ago, b6ifc81 said:

Good day everyone!

Until yesterday, I haven't had any issues with the autopilot functions.  However, yesterday every aircraft I tried flying has done exactly what MadMav24 posted:  Plane will fly normally with the autopilot engaged for some time (I'm usually in cockpit view at this time). The very moment I click the side button of my joystick to switch to chase plane view, the autopilot then disengages, and then throws the plane into a violent and sudden spiral to the ground.  So far, this has happened with the Carenado PC-12, NG Emb-110, and default Bonanza.

On a more positive note, I seem to have figured out how to tame the fluttering rudder issue.  Under the controls settings for my Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick, I disabled the rudder reverse axis function, as that's now handled by the Thrustmaster rudder pedals that I installed a while back.  Flying without autopilot is a lot more stable now.  But it's very strange that the autopilot is now behaving this way, since it never did that before (and it started doing it just yesterday - before I changed the sidestick settings).  I did try removing all assignments for autopilot commands on the sidestick, but to no avail.

You probably have already done this, but if not, check your settings.  It almost sounds like a double setting when you click on the chase plane view, the autopilot disengages.

Question-if you use the keyboard to go into chase plane view, does it disengage??  (think the default is the "Insert" key)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Thank you, Davidc2! I will check that when I open the sim again. My discouragement led me to shut it down and run errands haha.  Your suggestion definitely sounds logical, though I can't imagine how I might have done that (the only tinkering with settings I've done is after the symptoms started). I'll report findings shortly! 

Cheers,

George

Oh, for the love!

I've had settings change from time to time and I am/was positive that it was not me.  Not sure about the how, but I have seen it on my end.  Good a place as any to start 🙂

Update for everyone! This morning, I took a look at all the assignments relating to control surfaces as well as the autopilot.  However, I couldn't see anything amiss except for button 3 being assigned to internal/external views.  I changed the assignment to button 4, and that seems to have done the trick for some reason.  As far as the joystick is concerned, there's no button assigned to the autopilot functions (that's all either mouse or keyboard-controlled).  I took the ole Bandit out for a spin, and the autopilot held beautifully, even having switched from interior to exterior multiple times.  I'm not sure if there's an unknown malfunction with the brand of joystick I have, or if it's because I'm just a noob at all this.  But I'm absolutely relieved that all seems to be well for now.  Thanks again everyone for your support.  Cheers,

George

P.S. - for the longest time, I was quite comfortable with using just keyboard and mouse commands with FS9 since most of the panels I used were 2D.  Having almost no experience playing FSX and migrating over to MSFS, it's been QUITE the learning curve! So needless to say, I really thought I was doing something wrong with the joystick, having never owned or used one prior.

Oh, for the love!

Glad to read that you are getting things sorted out.  I know that feeling quite well 🙂

As for using the mouse for the autopilot, that is how I fly myself, I get it setup while on the ground, then when I am airborne, I just turn it on, select Nav and I am good.

One more update, rather perplexing: out of habit, I accidentally tapped the left button on the joystick.  Sadly, the same symptoms returned.  What's concerning is that that button has no assignment.  In my mind, there should be absolutely no reaction if it's toggled.  Whelp!  Guess I'll have to take extra care not to tap the left button.  If it helps (for anyone else using it): it's the Thrustmaster Airbus Edition joystick (not the whole throttle quadrant).

Oh, for the love!

I'm still having a glitch when I get to the transition at the airport. The aircraft will stay straight and not fly the 90 degree turn to the transition, I have to bring it back on course manually. Change the CDI over to the correct one for ILS. The hit autopilot and it will fly the glideslope. I have tried it with the teardrop HOLD and without. Same thing happens. There are two courses on the MFD. One straight to the transition without the waypoint with a nice 90 degree turn showing, which is does not fly. Then there is the course with the waypoint going to the transition, The course stops there. I loaded the FlightPlan from Little Nav Map so I am thinking that is where the glitch is.

Madmav24

I entered the FlightPlan inside MSFS and it did not fly the transition. I still had two courses on the MFD.

Madmav24

4 hours ago, b6ifc81 said:

Update for everyone! This morning, I took a look at all the assignments relating to control surfaces as well as the autopilot.  However, I couldn't see anything amiss except for button 3 being assigned to internal/external views.  I changed the assignment to button 4, and that seems to have done the trick for some reason.  As far as the joystick is concerned, there's no button assigned to the autopilot functions (that's all either mouse or keyboard-controlled).  I took the ole Bandit out for a spin, and the autopilot held beautifully, even having switched from interior to exterior multiple times.  I'm not sure if there's an unknown malfunction with the brand of joystick I have, or if it's because I'm just a noob at all this.  But I'm absolutely relieved that all seems to be well for now.  Thanks again everyone for your support.  Cheers,

George

P.S. - for the longest time, I was quite comfortable with using just keyboard and mouse commands with FS9 since most of the panels I used were 2D.  Having almost no experience playing FSX and migrating over to MSFS, it's been QUITE the learning curve! So needless to say, I really thought I was doing something wrong with the joystick, having never owned or used one prior.

I have the TM Airbus stick and just tried a flight with Autopilot and didn't have a problem when selecting Button 3, or button 4.  Button 3 for me is "Reset Cockpit View".  The A/P stayed connected.

Just to confirm, when you Filter for "Assigned" and click to "Search by Input" and push your button 3, does it look something like this?  There is nothing else that comes up?TMAirbusbutton3.thumb.JPG.8359202d2fb58792504de37d13c26ec2.JPG

Hiya Cavulife,

I just looked it up in Controls Options, and sure enough, nothing comes up, so button 3 is currently unassigned.  I tried another flight, this time with the default A320, and this time (making sure not to press it), everything worked fine.  Cheers,

George

Oh, for the love!

• 3 months later...

If you're having this issue, I found it was due to bad mapping of the controls. If the controls are not mapped well, it will cause the autopilot to trim off in one direction as it's sensing a control input in the opposite direction, and a bump on the control (like using a switch as mentioned) will be enough to kick off the AP, and you're then in essentially a runaway trim condition.

If you go the Sensitivity Settings of your control stick and hit all the limits, it will re-center the controls and solve the issue.