How Slow Can You Go?!

BillD22

138kt Headwind! It's a wonder the little SF50 isn't just hovering!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Here's a real world map of today's jetstream at about the time we were flying from Charlotte NC to New Orleans and leveling off at FL310 doing 83 knots GS.   Groundspeed climbed to a whopping 173 after that.  Mardi Gras will be over before we there!

Global Jet Stream Map - Netweather - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge 1_27_2023 2_48_29 PM.jpg

I was at Charlotte NC in April 1989 just as the Nicaragua 'situation' was kicking off - I've never seen so many Galaxy's in one place before or since - and Short Skyvan's taxying all over the place in front of the passenger terminal and taking off on the apron in all directions... How our Piedmont connecting flight to Florida made it through that, I've no idea!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, BillD22 said:

leveling off at FL310 doing 83 knots GS.

Just think how fast the return will be!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

49 minutes ago, NMLW said:

sound barrier

I wanted to go into the GS/AS vs Mach lecture, but  that would just be way to boring without more coffee. 

Sounds like the basis of a brief article to publish here at a later date?

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.