A small tip about high definition paints

CBris

I don't know how often folk look at our high definition textures in the screenshots and are then disappointed, when they download and install them, only to be disappointed by the texture quality. Of course, we painters are to blame, if we don't remind you the FSX will only load a maximum size of 1024 pixel square by default.

Well, there are at least two ways of telling FSX to load larger than normal sized textures - the hard way and the easy way:

The hard way:

• To do this, you need to open the FSX config file and edit it
  • Open windows explorer and go to C:\Users\[...your user name...]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (you may need administrator rights to access the AppData directories)
  • Open the file fsx.CFG in any text editing program - the Windows built in Editor works fine
  • Scroll down (or use the search function) until you find the section [GRAPHICS] and look for the line "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024" and change the value to 4096
  • Save the fsx.CFG and then start the simulator. Now... FSX has a bad habit of resetting the configuration for many reasons, so you may have to check this value often

The easy way:

Visit frostysoftware.com (yes, the site is under construction, but the file you need is listed there on the notification page).

From the Frosty Software front page, you can download a very useful little program called "Texture Max Load Editor" (TMLE). This free application sets up a small module that is started when you start Flight Simulator. When FSX starts, a second, smaller, window will open on your screen and allow you to configure FSX according to the aircraft texture needs.

The beauty of TMLE is that it does all the fsx.CFG editing for you. It is free. It works in the background and does not use any more resources once it has reset the configuration.

@ forum mod: maybe you'd like to "sticky" this for a while?

I have retired from active painting and work life in general.

Does this software really work?

I guess the reason I ask is because I know that there used to be some software that did the same thing... but supposedly it didn't fully work, or was without support and the site went under - something along those lines. Just wondering if it's the same thing...

But before I forget - thank you for letting us know, regardless :)

I don't know about any predecessor config editors, but so far I have only good words for TMLE - Any time I check the config, it's as per the tool. Sometimes FSX gets its knickers in a twist, but the TMLE tool works on the fly too, so you don't have to stop/restart.
I have retired from active painting and work life in general.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
What would happen if you made the FSX.cfg READ ONLY after changing to 4096. Would FSX be able to change it back again then?
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Question: is there a way to tell FS2004 to load larger than normal sized textures?

There is an identical line in the FS9.cfg file, located in C:\Users\StuckInARut\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 on a Vista Home Premium machine. Essentially, the same folder as FSX.cfg, but in the FS9 folder vs the FSX folder.

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FS9 is limited to max 1024x1024 textures. Period.

You might find some claims that FS9 is using larger textures, they are false claims.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

What would happen if you made the FSX.cfg READ ONLY after changing to 4096. Would FSX be able to change it back again then?

All due respect, you could test this yourself faster than you will receive a reply here.

I suspect it does not matter what you set that flag to, FSX will overwrite the FSX.cfg as needed.

Prove me wrong. :D

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• 6 years later...
On 11/12/2010 at 1:47 AM, CBris said:

and look for the line "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024"

This is GREAT info, mine was set to 256. Thanks!!!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.